• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one is symbolising anything, please stop the hyperbole. You can't probably discuss and dissect opinions if all that is being posted is literal trajectory of one's emotions at the time. Michael Jackson was a creep, his actions were known and have been known for years before the documentary came out. Are these types of references bad? No, because they are references to pop culture much like literally every meme ever is.

It is not a tribute. It is not glorifying sexual predators or paedophiles. It is not victim blaming. It is not right to censor something that has no impact because it is simply a reference to a dance move long known and still popular today. The crotch grabbing and "he-he" is so iconic it is ingrained in society when it comes to dancing. Should that be stopped? No, it is not at all related to Michael Jackson's paedophile nature, instead his musical career which can be easily seen as a separate entity.

I believe it is a perfectly fine scene, one I look forward to actually seeing in-game for its full definition. Is Michael Jackson suddenly a paedophile now? No, his accusations were and still are everywhere. Capcom shouldn't just remove it because it's hot topic now and showing further light on the atrocities because it isn't Michael Jackson. It is a reference.

This is what I think too.

The real question is, should they delist Space Channel 5 because of Space Michael?

more important. When is there gonna be a new game?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I don't see the harm in leaving it in. The scene was literally just Dante doing a silly dance move, it's not like it was making a statement involving MJ or portraying him any way.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fwiw I am going to be 29 this year. For almost my entire life these accusations have been out there.

Where were the protests like this when Michael Jackson the Experience came out as a multiplatform game? Or the Just Dance MJ spinoff? Or countless other references and nods to MJ in gaming between 1993 and 2019? All of those MJ based games are far worse than this reference to him. I'm genuinely unsure if this documentary changed any minds but the public has known MJ slept in beds with children since 93/94 and did nothing sadly. I am apathetic about this particular instance as his estate doesn't profit off of it, but the above examples were shameful.

It's almost like we've had a cultural shift post-#metoo.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No one is symbolising anything, please stop the hyperbole. You can't probably discuss and dissect opinions if all that is being posted is literal trajectory of one's emotions at the time. Michael Jackson was a creep, his actions were known and have been known for years before the documentary came out. Are these types of references bad? No, because they are references to pop culture much like literally every meme ever is.

It is not a tribute. It is not glorifying sexual predators or paedophiles. It is not victim blaming. It is not right to censor something that has no impact because it is simply a reference to a dance move long known and still popular today. The crotch grabbing and "he-he" is so iconic it is ingrained in society when it comes to dancing. Should that be stopped? No, it is not at all related to Michael Jackson's paedophile nature, instead his musical career which can be easily seen as a separate entity.

I believe it is a perfectly fine scene, one I look forward to actually seeing in-game for its full definition. Is Michael Jackson suddenly a paedophile now? No, his accusations were and still are everywhere. Capcom shouldn't just remove it because it's hot topic now and showing further light on the atrocities because it isn't Michael Jackson. It is a reference.

+1 to this!

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the scene is a reference to a dance that has become a lot more than just MJ at this point

Like, I get it if Sega deleted Space Michael from Space Channel 5 because, well, it's literally MJ

But you aren't going to delete his dance at this point, especially when this scene was likely created years before the Neverland documentary even happened

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Neither was OJ. Delete this post.
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f527045514555632d44415a4572673d3d2d3432333032333336312e313463366663626630323037613864623436343534383032343937382e676966

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He created the fucking music. He sings it. It is him. I'm not going to entertain your cognitive dissonance, its nonsense. And this "well we've always known he was a pedophile" shit is defeatist at best.
It is his music. A part of musical history that should definitely not be evaporated. His music stands separate to his disgusting actions that have been known for YEARS. That doesn't mean a timing of a documentary suddenly makes these accusations (which is what they are by definition due to a court case prior claiming his innocence no matter your belief) less impactful. It doesn't suddenly mean we should scrape through history deleting anything to do with his MUSIC because it was him who sung it or created it. I would 100% agree with you if it was a reference to his actual paedophilia because that is not right in any form as it is MICHAEL JACKSON which is the discussion point there.

But this is a reference to his musical career, a career that I believe is separate to the actions he took upon himself to do with children that had no ability to say no, nor did they fully understand their actions until later on. But this reference? It isn't harmful, it is referencing a point in pop culture like many other elements of pop culture have done before it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither was OJ. Delete this post.
He groomed the two kids he fucked since the age of 6 to lie for him on the stand. It took all this time for them to admit it, as it would with any victim of this type of abuse for such a long time.

Lovecraft didn't literally rape young children. I'm really tired of entertaining fools who want to bury their head in the sand, the music now hearkens directly back to widely accepted pedophilia.
I reported you. I hope you get banned.
This thread is already profoundly, profoundly disturbing and disgusting.

A lot of victim blaming supporters of pedophilia. Incredible. All for your fucking video games.
Go ahead and fucking post them. I've heard them too. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and you don't know anything about what abuse does to people.

God, this fucking thread.
No. I'm not ok with these fucking people defending a monstrous pedophile that everyone who lived through the 90's knew was a monstrous pedophile, all just because he makes good music. The motherfucker held hands with kids in public and spent weeks alone with them. And now we have them ON CAMERA telling their story in detail. And I still have to read this shit? From people who probably haven't even watched the documentary?

This thread deserves to become a graveyard. This is disgusting.
Reasonable discussion about whether or not Michael Jackson fucked kids? What are you talking about?

MJ is a symbol of pedophilia, if you're defending his music you need to own up to what you're defending.
It's a bunch of ignorant fools who worship celebrity and video games, don't believe victims, or don't care about pedophilia. Or all 3 combined.
This thread is a fucking YouTube comments section.

Gaming side has become near-GAF level.

maybe...take a break bro...

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
You know what the worst part of the people in this thread is? Instead of arguing to keep the scene for other reasons, almost everyone advocating to keep it sprung immediately to trying to absolve Jackson and victim blaming

The real question is, should they delist Space Channel 5 because of Space Michael?
Yes. Absolutely. Then remake it without him.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just seems like harmless jokey reference to me.

Is it time to remove every moonwalk emote from other videogames as well?

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the harm in leaving it in. The scene was literally just Dante doing a silly dance move, it's not like it was making a statement involving MJ or portraying him any way.

It's not just a silly dance move. Portraying it that way is disingenuous. That silly dance move has context, and that context is that it is the creation of a man who sexually abused children. You can't just be divorced from that fact when it props up a legacy that overshadows his victims.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Tell me why the fuck his entertainment factor outweighs what he's done to children?

It doesn't. Nor does the magnitude of his abuses outweigh his status as a cultural icon.

Michael Jackson raped these kids. He is a pedophile and a rapist. Whether you like it or not, he is a symbol of pedophilia and society accepting his pedophilia when it was out in the open. Your obsession with his music and pop culture doesn't change that.

And your obsession with getting the entire forum to villify him doesn't change the fact that he was an international superstar that influenced and entertained millions worldwide.

It is ludicrous to hold the view that enjoying Michael Jackson's music is akin to supporting pedophilia.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Nah no need to remove it. People will make their own judgement on what they think of Michael Jackson and his body of work, and how the latest docu-series reflects on his legacy. But this is just a game and a random scene out of said game. not "glorifying" anything. Also some things are so pervasive in culture you can't remove them. Michael Jackson is one of those things, its a reason why his documentary is not blowing up nor having the consequences like R Kelly's (He's also dead, so really hard for the news cycle to continue going as well other than the massive lawsuits designed to bankrupt folk). And why Michael Jackson's music continues to play on radio stations and R Kelly's doesnt.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey

Yeah, let's remove the Night Elf Male dance animation from WoW, too.
It's not just a silly dance move. Portraying it that way is disingenuous. That silly dance move has context, and that context is that it is the creation of a man who sexually abused children. You can't just be divorced from that fact when it props up a legacy that overshadows his victims.
It is a silly dance move that's been ingrained in our culture for over 30 years. It's one of the most famous dance moves in history. If Michael Jackson's allegations (that I still believe are false, due to being found not guilty) are such a big deal to everyone why wasn't this uproar happening before the documentary?

Hollywood is full of weirdos and pedophiles. If we're gonna start removing shit from media that references horrible people, I'll gladly go all the way. I won't like it but we can't single ONE person out.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Is that more important than him being a pedophile? If he's already an icon, why do we need further tribute to his legacy of cultural works?
where in my comment did i say it was more important? everyone has a right to decide what they want, but dont put words in my mouth. the way art and artist are associated is up-to each individual

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What's with this same disengenuous argument cropping up over and over? Nobody is trying to erase him from everything. DMC 5 just came out here in 2019, and the question is whether or not it should be removed so as to stem the tide of NEW scenes glorifying him going forward.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If he actually sexually abused children, then yeah, I'd say remove it. Having not seen the latest documentary and previously siding with MJ based on the evidence shown prior, my current stance would be to leave it in.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate timing, Capcom couldn't have known. I don't think they should have to pull the scene though. It gets a pass for me.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
And why Michael Jackson's music continues to play on radio stations and R Kelly's doesnt.

A lot of countries have stopped playing MJ's music such as in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

its a reason why his documentary is not blowing up nor having the consequences like R Kelly's

It is blowing up but maybe not to the same extent because MJ is dead and didn't try to 'defend' himself in the way R Kelly did (sigh...another artist who's music I enjoyed...).

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And that opinion is most certainly agreeable. Michael Jackson is the creator of the music, yes. But I do believe that a separation can come when that music doesn't show paedophile influence or normality. I do believe that appreciating his music does not normalise his paedophile background because you still very much can argue openly about such actions. His music is iconic and groundbreaking with many of his styles still influencing today's music, but even today we are still easily explaining the difference of his music to his personal lifestyle choices of destroying children who had no choice. Who now live in a world they don't understand because they see it as broken only.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
where in my comment did i say it was more important? everyone has a right to decide what they want, but dont put words in my mouth

It's a yes or no question. If you say no, you are making a statement that his legacy and art is more important than what he did to his victims. If you say yes, it should be removed, you are saying that the legacy of what he did matters more than the dances and music he created.
Yeah, let's remove the Night Elf Male dance animation from WoW, too.

It is a silly dance move that's been ingrained in our culture for over 30 years. It's one of the most famous dance moves in history. If Michael Jackson's allegations (that I still believe are false, due to being found not guilty) are such a big deal to everyone why wasn't this uproar happening before the documentary?

Hollywood is full of weirdos and pedophiles. If we're gonna start removing shit from media that references horrible people, I'll gladly go all the way. I won't like it but we can't single ONE person out.

Let's break that down. You're arguing that because the outrage has resurfaced (it isn't new fyi) it is somehow less relevant. There is a reason this is a topic of conversation again, btw, but even if there wasn't your argument would still be "Why bother getting mad about it now?" which is nonsense.

Secondly, cool victim blaming.

As for "we can't single ONE person out." You know what would help? If that argument wasn't made on an individual basis for EVERY "weirdo and pedophile." We can't kick Kevin Spacey out of Hollywood! That's singling ONE sex pest out! We can't try to oust Harvey Weinstein! We can't stop glorifying Michael Jackson!

Come on.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Wouldn't want to hurt the dead guy's feelings by recognizing the most recent round of his victims coming forward after facing the lifetime of damage he did to them as children.

Closer to the topic question, I think if the estate gets a penny from it, I'd rather see it removed. It is what it is, and the influence of his work is unavoidable if it's an informal tribute.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like we've had a cultural shift post-#metoo.
#Metoo was mostly (but not exclusively) about abuse against adult women, MJ was accused of abusing young boys. Pedophilia has been extremely frowned upon for a much longer time than sexual violence against adult women in American culture. People in my age bracket grew up thinking MJ was creepy and more than likely guilty but got away with it due to massive stockpiles of money. To be perfectly fair MJ's career was never the same post 1993. He was no longer the biggest popstar in the world after that, Dangerous was his last album that was a megahit with basically every other song becoming a massive hit. I don't remember him ever achieving that level of success again.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. Regardless of what he did, his art is separate. Even his related influences like these.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Nope, that was a great scene. Funny as hell.

Actually that reminds me, I wonder what the live action version looks like in the deluxe features. lol

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Nah no need to remove it. People will make their own judgement on what they think of Michael Jackson and his body of work, and how the latest docu-series reflects on his legacy. But this is just a game and a random scene out of said game. not "glorifying" anything. Also some things are so pervasive in culture you can't remove them. Michael Jackson is one of those things, its a reason why his documentary is not blowing up nor having the consequences like R Kelly's (He's also dead, so really hard for the news cycle to continue going as well other than the massive lawsuits designed to bankrupt folk). And why Michael Jackson's music continues to play on radio stations and R Kelly's doesnt.
MJ's music isn't played nearly as much as the Beatles despite achieving a similar level of success. If he never did these crimes then pretty much every retro station in the US would be playing MJ songs half the day.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It's a funny cutscene. that's all.
This

Documentary without proofs VS FBI.

What should I trust? Hmm
This as well, given most recent documentary is questionable to say at the very least.

Of course not. This scene has nothing to do with Michael Jackson the person. It's just Dante being a goofball.
THIS 100% If somehow people get upset at this, they really don't understand this is Dante basically being Dante. He's been a giant doofus since DMC1. Only exception is DMC2 where dante was serious 24/7 for whatever reason. If anything its more of a tribute to the dance and not the man himself. Speaking of...

This to sign off on it as well.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And that opinion is most certainly agreeable. Michael Jackson is the creator of the music, yes. But I do believe that a separation can come when that music doesn't show paedophile influence or normality. I do believe that appreciating his music does not normalise his paedophile background because you still very much can argue openly about such actions. His music is iconic and groundbreaking with many of his styles still influencing today's music, but even today we are still easily explaining the difference of his music to his personal lifestyle choices of destroying children who had no choice. Who now live in a world they don't understand because they see it as broken only.

The problem is that - as evidenced by reactions in his thread - the legacy of his art eclipses his legacy of sexual abuse, and there's no reason to continue glorifying him. This is why I asked (was it you or someone else?) about what's more important: the dignity and legacy of his victims, or his "silly dance moves." By glorifying one it's a statement that it matters more than the other in the grand scheme of how we remember him. I'm on the side of saying we don't need new tributes to his music going forward. No need to erase the past, we just don't need more monuments that serve only to make him MORE iconic.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The MJ threads over the next few months are going to be a merry-go-round.

This thread is full of people defending him -- some in good faith, some in bad faith. The thread in EtcetEra is just mocking this thread and questioning the moderation/questioning why people aren't banned.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The MJ threads over the next few months are going to be a merry-go-round.

This thread is full of people defending him -- some in good faith, some in bad faith. The thread in EtcetEra is just mocking this thread and questioning the moderation/questioning why people aren't banned.

I'll do it here, too. The old place would have rightly turned this thread into an absolute graveyard, and it goes against what I thought ERA stood for if they're letting the "I don't believe the victims" or other thinly veiled posts like "I'm buying it now" slide.

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019
No, and imo the Simpsons removing that episode from circulation is also wrong.

Michael Jackson was a manipulative monster of a human being even if you don't believe the accusations, which is ridiculous on its own considering the amount of mental hoops you'd have to jump through for them to not be at least partially true. Occam's Razor definitely wouldn't support him being innocent.

But despite all that, what he brought to the world is iconic from a pop culture perspective and removing those kinds of contributions from awful people has never sat right with me. It's the same logic behind removing Lovecraft from the iconic lexicon of horror and the fantastic works (by people of races and religions that he no less hated) inspired by him.

Also, good luck getting Japan to remove anything MJ related. They love him over there and likely aren't too concerned with any controversy surrounding him.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The thread in EtcetEra is just mocking this thread and questioning the moderation/questioning why people aren't banned.
I think victim blaming is bullshit and Jackson was absolutely guilty.

But if people want to talk about this thread, they should actually come in here and talk and not just complain somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.