• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Is now the right time to bring back the Burtonverse with either a Batman Beyond film with Terry McGuinness or some kind of another film involving a retired Batman having to come out of retirement? DC has shown that they're sometimes better off doing multiverse storylines rather than doing Marvel Studio's "one continuity" storyline.

Would you want to go back to the slightly Burtonesque world of Gotham? Would you demand Burton be involved, or be happy for someone else to take the mantle regards direction? Would you like to retcon Forever and Batman and Robin in some way or keep them as sequels?

You could go a bit cyber-punk / blade runner-esque regards the art style of what Burton's future Gotham has become with some really interesting Neon and pitch-black contrasts of the city.

What are your thoughts?

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
They're about to launch a new Batman trilogy, I doubt WB wants to confuse things by having two Batmen at the same time. Maybe in 10 years after this one is over?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They're already bringing back Burton's continuity and cast Kevin Conroy as old future Bruce Wayne in Crisis on Infinite Earths so they're definitely open to the idea

EGm0oRJX4AA1GLv

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
After seeing this...

...and remembering just how much I loved the Keaton Batman stuff, I have to say heck yes. An older Batman handing the reigns to Terry could work in the Burton version of Batman. Imagine what a Burton Gotham would look like with modern tech scattered around but keeping his look. Delicious.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
After seeing this...

...and remembering just how much I loved the Keaton Batman stuff, I have to say heck yes. An older Batman handing the reigns to Terry could work in the Burton version of Batman. Imagine what a Burton Gotham would look like with modern tech scattered around but keeping his look. Delicious.

Best Batman stays best Batman.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...sure? If he wants to play the role again.

Films DC are currently making (or have recently made) include Joker, Birds of Prey (super-featuring Harley Quinn), Suicide Squad again but a different one, The Batman, and a Super-Pets movie.

With a line-up like that, there doesn't seem to be any kind of block on a a Keaton Batman Beyond movie.

They're about to launch a new Batman trilogy, I doubt WB wants to confuse things by having two Batmen at the same time. Maybe in 10 years after this one is over?
People didn't seem to be confused at the continuity gap between Christian Bale as Batman and Ben Affleck as Batman and they were only a few years apart. There didn't even seem to be much of a problem with people accepting that Michael Keaton's Batman and Val Kilmer's Batman were actually the same person. It shouldn't be that much of a stretch for cinema-goers to accept that they're watching a future version of Batman that isn't strictly related to any present-day Batmans that might exist in other films.

This is essentially what's being asked of people with Joker anyway, and nobody appears to be confusing Jared Leto's Joker with Joaquin Phoenix's Joker.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Hell i'd want them to REALLY go nuts all the way and cast Michael Keaton as Terry McGinnis and some young upstart as old man Bruce Wayne, but actually play it STRAIGHT!!!
It would both be the best and worst Batman ever committed to film!!

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
No it isn't

It's the multiverse

Crisis is being done with the Arrow-Verse, that's why they had to get a photo of Keaton and didn't get him showing up. The people they have appearing are either on tv (like Lucifer) or have connections to, like the actress who was the original Supergirl. She was Kara's mother on the tv series. Henry Cavil isn't showing up. Brandon Routh, who was the Superman in Superman Returns, has a long history in the Arrow-verse as Ray Palmer on Arrow and Legends.

Crisis in itself is a sequel to the Elseworlds crossover.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Crisis is being done with the Arrow-Verse, that's why they had to get a photo of Keaton and didn't get him showing up. The people they have appearing are either on tv (like Lucifer) or have connections to, like the actress who was the original Supergirl. She was Kara's mother on the tv series. Henry Cavil isn't showing up. Brandon Routh, who was the Superman in Superman Returns, has a long history in the Arrow-verse as Ray Palmer on Arrow and Legends.
What is the 'Arrow-Verse'?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
No, it isn't

(and I realize people are referring to a production level, WB isn't a hard split like Marvel was, they do have creatives moving between TV and film. nor are they as concerned with continuity. basically everything is decided by the head of WB.)
Keep telling yourself that. There's a reason even referencing Batman/Bruce Wayne was off limits until relatively recently. Showrunners are always trying to sneak in more overt references but they always get shot down by the WB higher ups. The Batwoman show itself can't even use batman, you can't really make the argument that it's all under the same umbrella when it's so obviously not, there's so much red tape to navigate that there's a clear divide.
"We tried, so many times," she said. Caroline Dries, who is spearheading the solo "Batwoman" project, said that, although Warner Bros. has opened up its vault, Batman is "the one where they cut you off."
Certainly sounds an awful lot like it's a completely separate thing and that this person doesn't have full creative freedom over the property she's given.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Too old? Probably. Would he still have it? Most definitely! It wouldn't be the most action oriented batman, but I could imagine it as a proper noir/ detective direction movie with him in the lead role.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
DC's tv division, minus Gotham and Pennyworth. This includes Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Constantine (tv show got retconned), Black Lightning (getting retconned in now), Flash, and Batwoman. Tangently connected to the "other" DC tv network with Titans and Doom Patrol that is its own universe in itself.
He was just being toxic because you said "Arrow-Verse" rather than "Arrowverse" he's obviously a huge fan and knows this already, just being an ass about it.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I think the DCEU should absolutely lean in that good multiverse bullshit. So yeah, go for a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton as Bruce Wayne.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Keep telling yourself that. There's a reason even referencing Batman/Bruce Wayne was off limits until relatively recently. Showrunners are always trying to sneak in more overt references but they always get shot down by the WB higher ups. The Batwoman show itself can't even use batman, you can't really make the argument that it's all under the same umbrella when it's so obviously not, there's so much red tape to navigate that there's a clear divide.
Certainly sounds an awful lot like it's a completely separate thing and that this person doesn't have full creative freedom over the property she's given.
If only there was a Berlanti produced show that has access to Batman.

latest

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Resurrect Adam West, de-age him and enjoy the ride

I know you're kidding but I really enjoyed the animated sequels (William Shatenr as Two-Face was perfection!), so I'd totally be up for a Batman Beyond set in a version of the 2000s (that they 60s thought the 2000s would be like) with a with Adam West as Bruce Wayne for a West-a-verse version of Batman Beyond. To add a little flavour I'd want a young actor from the 2000s to play terry McGuinness and ham it up.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Batman Beyond dream cast

Old Bruce - Michael Keaton
Terry - Joe Keery
Paxton Powers/Blight - David Tennant
Joker - Mark Hamill