• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, an anime adapting the new sagas is coming sooner or later but maybe they're waiting for the DB hype to settle down a bit so they can "re-ignite" it or something.
That, or just unfortunate timing and change of plans

Yeah but there is absolutely no pressure since DB makes so much money each year from merchandise. If Goku gets a new form then they will want to sell figures based off of it though lol

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Isn't it coming back with Broly now being cannon and in the new season? That's the last I heard

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Ball AF seems like a fitting name. Just came up with that.
Been a minute since I heard that

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that we are getting new manga chapters is assurance that Super is coming back eventually, but Covid still a thing it is hard to predict when. We don't know exactly how it effected their plans and if they lost out on the anime airtime slot for X amount of years.
The timeslot is still controlled by Toei. They have Digimon airing there right now.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it absolutely necessary they follow the manga Moro arc? I would rather see more stuff involving cabba, kale, caulifa, and hit.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Go but it gets rid of all the dumb battles and is a full on gag show like Toriyama's Dr Slump or early Dragon Ball.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is it absolutely necessary they follow the manga Moro arc? I would rather see more stuff involving cabba, kale, caulifa, and hit.
The current arc is based on a Toriyama outline according to its announcement and it starts right after Moro, using one of the characters introduced there as a plot device for the start of the arc. There's also Goku already being able to use UI at will.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The current arc is based on a Toriyama outline according to its announcement and it starts right after Moro, using one of the characters introduced there as a plot device for the start of the arc. There's also Goku already being able to use UI at will.
The manga skipped Broly, which was also Toriyama's story.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Keep the name.
"when it returns" lol
I have doubts it will ever come back.
I'm just assuming that it's gone forever until I hear for certain otherwise.
I think moving forward we should expect movies instead of an actual tv show.
Is it even going to happen? Feels like we would have heard something by now.
Them being completely deadass silent about the whole thing without any leaks or clues kind of makes me think they're not making another show.
At least for the near future
Current manga arc is from a Toriyama outline, no way that goes unanimated.
The manga skipped Broly, which was also Toriyama's story.
Your point?

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't coming back. You can have your Dragonball Heroes anime, video games and maybe a new movie in a few years.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Skipping an arc isn't entirely out of the question.
Broly didn't connect directly to the following arc and it was skipped because the movie was literally just going into theaters. They wanted people to go see the movie, not read it. The manga also already had skipped a story in the past (F) but the anime has no history of skipping.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"when it returns" lol

It's a joke at this point. I really can't get over Toei's incompetence, Dragon Ball was as big as its ever been again and they just dropped it cause some other anime was having a anniversary and couldn't have any other time slot than Super's.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It shouldn't be made
There's definitely good stuff in the manga post-ToP, not everyone's cup of tea of course but it's decent and an anime adaptation can iron out its rough edges. I don't think there's a chance the anime doesn't continue, a matter of when not if.

I expect it to just continue as Dragon Ball Super, no 2 or additional/new subtitle

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The timeslot is still controlled by Toei. They have Digimon airing there right now.

Right but they have a group that works on and plans the future of DB. Ultimately everything has to be ready or Toei has to fill it with somethingn else.

Skipping an arc isn't entirely out of the question.

I would say it is, as I am sure they want to make use of all the material they have to keep the return of the anime going. Plus they want to sell merchandise like a figure of Moro to fans as the episodes run

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it is, as I am sure they want to make use of all the material they have to keep the return of the anime going. Plus they want to sell merchandise like a figure of Moro to fans as the episodes run
Arguably more importantly is that Moro provides more characters and variations of existing characters that they can make cards/units of for Dokkan, Legends and Heroes, which bring in tons of money. Also more content for console games as well.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Arguably more importantly is that Moro provides more characters and variations of existing characters that they can make cards/units of for Dokkan, Legends and Heroes, which bring in tons of money. Also more content for console games as well.

True, the material serves a lot of purposes and if they spent so much to make a full arc then it would make no sense to just abandon it in their plans

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Dragon Ball Super Duper or riot.

Look into your heart, you know it's literally the most appropriate name to describe the logic behind the creation of this thing.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
With the absolute greatest of respect, you were absolutely convinced that the series was imminently returning three years ago. I'll be taking your predictions with a few grains of salt, no offence.
Because animators said it was...
Anyways, I have no idea what that has to do with anything, it's common sense they probably won't want to leave Toriyama DB content untouched.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, here we are. As I say, I'll believe it when I see it.
You bringing this up in completely irrelevant and serves no purpose other than to insult me. It had nothing to do with prediction, some animators said it was coming back that year, that's why I was convinced. For one reason or another it didn't come back that year. What does that have to do with anything?
Toriyama is their golden goose so it's only logical to assume they'll animate his next arc eventually.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Toyotaro didn't draw that.

Well idk who did but all I can remember is someone from AF hit it big around super

Google says this :
Toyotarou was likely the dĹŤjinshi
artist
working under the name Toyble, and notable for creating a
Dragon Ball AF
manga in the year 2000. He was
hired
by Shueisha in 2012 when he requested being the one to draw
Dragon Ball Super
and debuted his career as an official manga
artist
under the name Toyotarou.

So yeah not the drawing but was something atleast

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You bringing this up in completely irrelevant and serves no purpose other than to insult me. It had nothing to do with prediction, some animators said it was coming back that year, that's why I was convinced. For one reason or another it didn't come back that year. What does that have to do with anything?
Toriyama is their golden goose so it's only logical to assume they'll animate his next arc eventually.
Sorry, it legitimately wasn't intended as an insult- it was intended as a demonstration that you have given good reasons in the past to expect the show to come back soon, and yet here we are, years later, with no show. If anything, Toriyama contributing to the manga is less of a smoking gun than what the animators were saying back then.

It has been over three years since we've seen any ongoing Super anime content. There's no sign that that's going to change any time soon. Previous hints to the contrary have been and gone without anything coming out of them. The only sensible thing now, for my money, is to carry on under the apprehension that there's nothing on the horizon, and to be pleasantly surprised if and when that's proven wrong. That's all.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, the Cell Saga was the perfect place to end the series, but I guess the Tournament of Power is a good enough point to admit that the escalation treadmill is going nowhere fast and stop.

The ToP only showed that the DB universe has barely opened up and there are a lot more creative avenues left like having arcs that take place mainly in Universes 6 and 11.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The ToP only showed that the DB universe has barely opened up and there are a lot more creative avenues left like having arcs that take place mainly in Universes 6 and 11.

That would be great, but that's not really how storytelling in Dragonball from Z onward works. If it was we would've still been getting a show about the adventures of Bulma even after saiyans were introduced, or an arc about rebuilding Namekian society, or anything not 100% focused on the new toughest dude for Goku to fight.

Goku's already beaten a guy who's stronger than anyone in Universe 6, so Universe 6 is now essentially trash because it can't be part of the continued escalation. There has to be a Bigger, Badder Dude, or the formula just doesn't really work. That's why the other poster said this is a natural endpoint: the only place to really go after "baddest dude in the multiverse" is "baddest dude in the entire history of the multiverse" and surely they can't be that goofy.

(They'll be that goofy. That's why it should be called Dragonball Super Duper. It's playground escalation.)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That would be great, but that's not really how storytelling in Dragonball from Z onward works. If it was we would've still been getting a show about the adventures of Bulma even after saiyans were introduced, or an arc about rebuilding Namekian society, or anything not 100% focused on the new toughest dude for Goku to fight.

Goku's already beaten a guy who's stronger than anyone in Universe 6, so Universe 6 is now essentially trash because it can't be part of the continued escalation. There has to be a Bigger, Badder Dude, or the formula just doesn't really work. That's why the other poster said this is a natural endpoint: the only place to really go after "baddest dude in the multiverse" is "baddest dude in the entire history of the multiverse" and surely they can't be that goofy.

(They'll be that goofy. That's why it should be called Dragonball Super Duper. It's playground escalation.)
This is the same series that gave humans some relevance again. Characters can get stronger and Caulifla and Kale from U6 have shown massive potential. Nevermind that we are now on our third post ToP story with the threat being from U7 despite everyone constantly assuming there are no strong characters left there outside of the main cast and Freeza (though now we have people also assuming the series will never leave U7 again because we're on our 3rd U7 story in a row, lol). Nothing is stopping them from doing more with U6. Will they do more with it? Who knows, but it has a handful of very popular characters so the chances are certainly higher than 0. As for it being a natural end point there are still multiple established characters stronger than Goku when the ToP ends. The angels, Zeno, maybe Beerus, but that's unclear currently.
Also alongside humans being given some relevance again we have stuff like Namek being a major part of the Moro arc and now Namekians being relevant to the current arc again.
Basically Super can do and does whatever it wants plot wise, be it something totally new or pulling from existing places and characters.

Last edited: