• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Dark Souls the Dark Souls of Rhythm Games?

• Yes

Votes: 57 7.2%
  • It’s not a rhythm game

Votes: 582 73.7%
  • It’s not the Dark Souls of rhythm games

Votes: 55 7.0%
  • It’s a platformer

Votes: 96 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Timing and rhythm is clearly key to playing any Souls game effectively — and ultimately the main gameplay loop comes down to how well you time your dodges and attacks.

With this in mind, can we all agree that "rhythm" is the best genre to describe the series?

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No. Most games require some form of timing and rhythm.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Nah it's a walking simulator. How many routes you walk on repeatedly in real life until you find a shortcut?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've heard the same thing mentioned about Sonic games before.

Most games you will find you get the best result with a "good rhythm", but it's not the only way to be successful at the game.
With rhythm games it's entirely about having a good rhythm, that's the game. And I suck at those.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
no

Ak1walG.gif

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no rhythm. Seeing an attack and reacting to it does not make something have rhythm. Otherwise you're literally saying any game that has real time action is a rhythm game.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Are there beats or melodies to time button presses to? No? Then it's not a rhythm game.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a turn based jrpg because it's made in Japan, you roleplay as a character and you & your enemies take turns hitting each other when you have the opportunity.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't really demand rhythm, it just punishes cockiness. If you try to attack too eagerly, you are fucked.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Xenoblade 2 is closer to a rhythm game than Dark Souls, and neither are rhythm games

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's completely off the mark especially in Sekiro's case because parrying multi hits is pretty much following a rhythm, but that would then also imply that ds/sekiro are bad rhythm games.
Damn this one was free, thanks op.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with no rhythm, Souls games are easy as fuck to me by comparison to trying to play those. Timing and pattern recognition are not the same thing as rhythm.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Is this going to be like the Tetris Battle Royale thread where in 4 months time we see a Dark Souls rhythm fitness game come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.