• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Recast or written out

• Recast

Votes: 504 31.6%
  • Written out

Votes: 1,091 68.4%

• Total voters

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To that end they can definitely work on existing characters to give them more than facet. They did so with Mando. Cara provides an established base to develop further on. Now, what kind of direction that may take or whether the writers would even want to give her additional character development within the context of story progression is a different matter.

I am just here for the ride given speculation feels non-productive (as the results will out entirely out of our control). Cara's character reminded me a lot of Vasquez from alien although far more subdued (her characterization by you was on point) and I liked it.
I just hope the character development would not be as simple as "I am a badass who smirks while I shoot guns, but one time in my past something bad happened and it makes me sad"

You know that is exactly what it would be :P

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't she just a random mercenary? Why can't the writers just make another mercenary? Recasting is reserved for situations where if it was like she was Mando's sister or Boba Fett's daughter. There's nothing linking Cara Dune to anyone in the universe in terms of integrated plotlines.

Oct 27, 2017
the show takes place in an entire galaxy with quadrillions of sentient beings, why do the same characters need to keep showing up?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
2ac9c893039095f5f8260da1cc41780a.gif

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
If they can get an actress with chops who can do something interesting with the character, keep her around. Otherwise, just have her go off to do something else off screen and never mention her again.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Has a character ever been recast in live action Star Wars? Not counting different ages of the same character, I mean, or puppet/cgi characters.

The answer to this is kinda complicated because Lucas often had recast-due-to-age parts supplant the originals in their own scenes.

It'll be a new arc for Season 3, so there's really no reason to recast the character or for the story to even mention Cara Dune.

There should be a new or existing character that fills that role on the show. You can have a better female character with someone who can actually act who can also kick ass in fight scenes.

If they want to keep the Alderaan connection, they can use Evaan Verlaine, from the comics/novels, who also worked as Leia's bodyguard. I don't think she's been used in anything post Mando, so she's free.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Show never needed the character. She was never truly important or impactful to a story that is already pretty basic. And now since it sounds like they're shifting focus to Mandalore (which hopefully means more Sasha Banks and Starbuck) then her character is even more worthless to the show.

I guess that new spinoff Rangers show was supposed to be her character's big coming out party. But as it's a new show, just create a new character in her place. Cara Dune is basically just a gruff buff woman who uses heavies and has a tragic backstory and an axe to grind against the Empire; she speaks few words and is devoid of any charm.

So LF should consider this as an opportunity to start fresh and do much better with a new character outright.

GolazoDan

Oct 25, 2017
Mando is constantly making new best friends, why recast an old one when you can replace them with a far cooler new one.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's bland and uninteresting; she's just a heavy.

Introduce a new character. Preferably played by Lucy Lawless.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said the character is so whatever that you don't have to do anything...they can just disappear and never be referenced again and it wouldn't cause a ripple.

I am 1000% on board with the idea of them bringing on Lucy Lawless as a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for having Lucy Lawless in Star Wars, but are they going to CG that physique she had 25 years ago onto her body?
yeah I love lucy lawless but I think most people are imagining her as she was and not as she is
she still looks great! but she'd be in her mid 50s for mando, can you reasonably expect the same physicality from her now in order to play Cara?
plus she's 15 years older than gina, that's a bit of a jump for a recast

however if they wanna cast lawless as a new character that basically supplants Cara Dune, sure. that'd be awesome to have her in star wars.
Then there's no existing mold she needs to try to fit into, she can be whatever she is
Friendship ended with cara dune, now dara cune is my best friend

hire lucy as a new character that fulfills whatever roles they had previously planned for cara
then cara isnt even part of the conversation anymore
she can show up as an existing ranger and say that Cara sent her, since cara is busy handling the [insert scifi nonsense here]
then she can just slot right into whatever trajectory they had planned for cara

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Her character was always just extra hands for a job. No need to ever mention her again imo. Recasting it keeps the original actress in the discussion and that would suck. The character has to go.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Isn't she just a random mercenary? Why can't the writers just make another mercenary? Recasting is reserved for situations where if it was like she was Mando's sister or Boba Fett's daughter. There's nothing linking Cara Dune to anyone in the universe in terms of integrated plotlines.
Apparently she was supposed to be announced as part of another show in the December 'Investor Day' event, but that mention was omitted due to the bad press around her.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But as it's a new show, just create a new character in her place. Cara Dune is basically just a gruff buff woman who uses heavies and has a tragic backstory and an axe to grind against the Empire; she speaks few words and is devoid of any charm.

So LF should consider this as an opportunity to start fresh and do much better with a new character outright.
I think this makes the most sense. Also probably elevates the series up several notches if they can get someone like Lucy Lawless who can actually act.

Just create a clean break with the character via the new show and if they are worried about continuity just mention Cara is off on some distant planet.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I always think about it this way: if her character never appeared again, would the overall story suffer greatly?

Nope.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like you could keep the show going without anyone ever needing to ask "Where's Cara Dune?"

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently she was supposed to be announced as part of another show in the December 'Investor Day' event, but that mention was omitted due to the bad press around her.

Oh yeah, for sure if that show started, it would have been an issue, but without the show, who cares?

In fact, if Disney wants to continue this show with a new cast, then whoever is the star of this show can crossover into The Mandalorian no problem.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of recasting. Her character served its purpose and can easily be replaced with another character of a similar archetype in the future.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
She's a worthless character. Get rid of her. The new characters introduced in this season are far more interesting.

Edit:
Lucy Lawless needs to be in this show. Don't care how. Even as Xena!

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Her character's arc is completed. She could never appear on the show again and it wouldn't feel jarring.

I'm for Lucy being a character but I don't think she should be saddled with Cara Dune.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
First episode should just open with this overhead show. Cara was in her car on the way to the store and drove off a cliff.
HjNO.gif

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know she had a name until the uproar about her inflammatory tweets came out lmao

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
There's really nothing inherently interesting about the character. You could replace her with an entirely different character that fills the exact same role and nothing would be lost.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Just make like that Jack Ryan show.

First season: he meets his girlfriend/wife-to-be.
Second season: she literally doesn't exist.

But yes, add Lucy Lawless please.

May 19, 2020
you could easily write her out and no one would care. you could also just not mention her again and it would work the same way.

Oct 28, 2017
Her character has been diminishing returns since her debut. I'm not even done season 2 because I'm stuck with her character in the show.

Something fun or creative to get her out the show would be preferred. If nothing, then just show the brutality of the world with people dropping in and out.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Recast with Lucy Lawless, change the wikipedia to "she was always Cara Dune, she originated the role, no one else ever portrayed Cara Dune" and lock it so it cannot be changed.

Erase what's-her-face, it's not her character-- it never was and she doesn't get to retire it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, I don't think people are fully acknowledging the diversity question interlaced here. Gina Carano's whole acting career, like Ronda Rousey's before her, was built entirely on the fact that she's an attractive woman who looks like she lifts. It's one thing to have a badass woman, it's another to have one that's visibly muscular since female body image bullshit emphasizes women being lithe. There's an intrinsic value in a female character who looks and plays the part of The Muscle/Tank, a value Gina Carano filled in her roles and a value Cara Dune fills in the Star Wars universe.

On the other hand, with how minor Dune is it's easy and natural to just write her out, and with how hateful Carano is I can't blame people for being thirsty in wanting to see Dune killed off shamefully and meaninglessly. And then tends to trump a lot of things. So while I'd personally like to see a new actress found to retake and rehabilitate the role, I wouldn't be too arsed if she was thrown away, especially with Mando's upcoming focus with Mandalore.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Been going back and forth between new character or recast, but have settled on new character.

I do hope they're a swole woman merc though. It would be a shame to lose that representation over this.

The character being nothing more than cool-looking was never a problem for me considering the whole show is the result of a "nothing" character having looked cool decades ago—but I do want a new character to fill that same archetype for fans of the character.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Eh, the character wasn't that integral to the plot. Just make a new character

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Her role isn't that big so they could write her out. They could add another character for Lucy Lawless that is much cooler.