• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Capcom Delay RE3 Remake?

• Yes

Votes: 84 4.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,946 95.5%

• Total voters

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how the reaction has been to the pandemic worldwide with such devastation to lives around the world and what the game represents (a violent virus outbreak that destroys humanity) should Capcom delay it?

What do you think?

Update: Glad to see an overwhelming majority know that it is fine for games to have these topics even during times like this and I agree.

Yet we have review outlets like GamesBeat using rhetoric that it isn't ok for a game like Half-Life Alyx to release today and it effected their enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game about fighting the effects of a virus. Not many similarities either tbh unless I missed the zombie apocalypse starting on the news. Nothing inappropriate about the game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Its actually the opposite. People want to play or watch media related to this stuff. Movies around virus outbreaks are seeing higher viewership on streaming platforms.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are far more likely to delay due to the impact it has on retail than due to optics.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I will say this right now, the opening cutscene of Resident Evil 3 definitely might push some's comfort levels a bit with everything actually going on in the world, but arguably it also makes it more relevant.

However, horror works over time have shown people seek out fictional horror works that deal with modern world horrors as a form of coping. For example, The Exorcist boomed at the height of the Satanic Scare of the 80s.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
It's a game, which has zero effect on what's going on now. In fact, games like this are needed more than ever to help people take their minds off of the mind-numbing bullshit that's going on in the world right now.

Obviously, if there's a logistics issue, then simply explain if a delay is needed. Otherwise, pitch this as another reason for digital releases and call it a day.

Oct 28, 2019
Lol wut? I don't even understand the logic behind this. Should we ban all depections of a virus outbreak in media?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
lEduz4f.png

I think we've discovered a bug.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm biased because I like Resident Evil games but I think the monsters in Resident Evil are very cartoony and removed from reality.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
No, but I will wait to play it till I feel mentally equipped to deal with a stressful game.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Yes they should. Physical sales will be down and people will be on low wages/no wages. Also internet bandwith will be at a premium.

Capcom do the right thing and postpone!!

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Uhhhh...no. Coronavirus isn't a bioterrorism. And video games is one of the most lucrative business right now, it make no financial sense to do so.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. It's a remake of a work of fiction from 20 years ago dealing with zombies.

I can't reasonably see anyone being offended by this.

OP
OP
Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should delay it. But the response by some to Half Life Alyx has me wanting to see the general sentiment here.

As this is a game about a viral outbreak versus Half Life being an alien invasion.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should cancel it, and then retroactively go back and cancel the original game. Anything less would be in poor taste.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shows like Virus or Pandemic on Netflix has risen to the most watched shows on the platform here on Spain, which is one of the countries more affected by the virus. That should answer your question.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Why? Next you're gonna tell me plague inc is a game made in bad taste for this pandemic.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
What? No. It's a cannabalistic zombie virus that creates creatures which violate all known science because it's a video game. Doom Eternal is also post-apocalyptic but it's about demons destroying the Earth because, say it with me, it's fiction. The Last of Us 2 and Alyx are in the same boat. Should every single game that has parallels to current events be delayed?

May 18, 2018
Delaying the game isn't going to stop our inevitable zombie apocalypse. Let people have their fun until they get hungry for brains

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
OP are you seriously making a poll with an absurd premise to try and back up support for the bad analogy you're using in the HL Alyx Review thread to justify you being mad VentureBeat gave it less than 9/10 and alluded to the state of the world in their review

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Given how the reaction has been to the pandemic worldwide with such devastation to lives around the world and what the game represents (a violent virus outbreak that destroys humanity) should Capcom delay it?

What do you think?

Yes 100%.

Time and time again history has shown that fictitious media has the ability to radically transform society for the worse. It took New York City nearly TWO WHOLE DECADES to socially recover from Microsoft carelessly releasing Flight Simulator '02 only weeks after 9/11.

My grandfather suffered from a heart attack the first time he saw me taking off in my virtual Cessna.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
should every shooter ever be constantly delayed because people in the USA can't stop murdering each other?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they can justify delaying it just on the basis that it will be hard to hit sales targets with most of the world's retailers shut down and many consumers not sure if they should be spending disposable income.

Delaying it just on the basis that it's somehow "in poor taste" would be dumb.