• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Would James Bond games work better without the millstone of the tropes of the films?

For example would it be better to set up a separate universe from the films or the novels? Although I wouldn't mind them creating a period piece set in the 50s (similar to the novels) may be interesting from a gameplay perspective.

I feel by having a gameplay focus with a solid story without the weight of the lore and fan expectations might help make a good Bond game.

Thoughts? And thoughts on Bond games? What do you think might help make a good Bond game (without bringing back GoldenEye)?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters as far as the games are concerned

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Of course!

I wonder who will pick up the license though. EON is apparently not very keen in giving it after what Activision did.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this raises the question of what makes a James Bond experience a James Bond experience. Is it the character? Because the movies are sort of vague on this front; are the various characters that play James Bond even supposed to be the same James Bond? Is 007 just a title that passes between various people, like M/Q? If so, what defines the person who holds that title, beyond "being a clandestine agent working for MI5"?

If it's not just the character, what else is there? An attachment to cool cars and fun stunts? (The Fast and the Furious say hi.) Ridiculous megalomaniac villains and a loose relationship to current geopolitics? Bond girls? The martini thing?

I'm not necessarily trying to say that Bond as a franchise doesn't have a character; I don't really think that's true. But I am having a hard time pinning down what that character is for some reason. Or to put it another way: what would make these games Bond games as opposed to, say, Mission Impossible or Bourne/Treadstone games?

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I think every single IP that originates outside of the Video Game industry should follow Spider-Man's and The Witcher's examples.

Set up a completely separate universe built on themes and characters presented in the source material. The fact that James Bond is pretty much an Anthology series this should have always been the approach.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think every single IP that originates outside of the Video Game industry should follow Spider-Man's and The Witcher's examples.

Set up a completely separate universe built on themes and characters presented in the source material. The fact that James Bond is pretty much an Anthology series this should have always been the approach.

Witcher isn't quite the same though. It's set after the books. So it's not a completely separate universe.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Witcher 3 isn't quite the same though. It's set after the books. So it's not a completely separate universe.

It's treated as a Non-Canon entity in The grand scheme of The Witcher's universe. I haven't read the books but my understanding is that Triss basically stepped in for Yen for the most part. Still they werent trying to retell the stories covered in the Books. They still gave themselves breathing room to do their own thing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's treated as a Non-Canon entity in The grand scheme of The Witcher's universe. I haven't read the books but my understanding is that Triss basically stepped in for Yen for the most part. Still they werent trying to retell the stories covered in the Books. They still gave themselves breathing room to do their own thing.

True. Though Triss was a side characters in the book but elevated to more important in the games story. Though Yen basically took that spot back in 3.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Absolutely.

IF *Bond* returns to video games, they really need to forget about the movies, and make their own thing.
I won't mind if they even change things up and make a different take on Bond than the ones from the movies.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Absolutely.

IF *Bond* returns to video games, they really need to forget about the movies, and make their own thing.
I won't mind if they even change things up and make a different take on Bond than the ones from the movies.

Indeed, you could even play to a Bond that puts you in the driving seat on how he behaves, you could even play on the idea of there being different 007s by having Bond customisable, not only physical features but even alter the stats, do you want a charming Bond who can talk his way into a secure facility (but not have brute strength), one that's gadgets heavy, or one who can punch and shoot his way into anywhere, or do you try and balance Bond out in traits?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I mean, every Bond movie should be treated as a separate universe from another. The attempt of a continuity in Skyfall and Spectre fell on their faces pretty badly.

("Bond" is his actual name???)

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Every game based on a existing franchise should be a separate universe from the original.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
Indeed, you could even play to a Bond that puts you in the driving seat on how he behaves, you could even play on the idea of there being different 007s by having Bond customisable, not only physical features but even alter the stats, do you want a charming Bond who can talk his way into a secure facility (but not have brute strength), one that's gadgets heavy, or one who can punch and shoot his way into anywhere, or do you try and balance Bond out in traits?
Somebody already mentioned it but again, thats just alpha protocol. I wonder if there is a 007 mod for the pc version

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, every Bond movie should be treated as a separate universe from another. The attempt of a continuity in Skyfall and Spectre fell on their faces pretty badly.

("Bond" is his actual name???)
Eh I sort of agree. I think all the Daniel Craig movies should have their own continuity but once you switch Bond actors you're safe to reset the universe.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think so.

I think Sony could have another franchise as big as Spider-Man with that approach. I'd really like to see Ready at Dawn given the reigns and attempting something like Uncharted.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I love the multibond theory that was the rule by the majority of Bond directors before Sam Mendes.
Not really, all Bonds reference things from other Bonds, up until Craig. There are even deleted scenes from Brosnan movies referencing his marriage in OHMSS and Blofield in general.

Here you have a list of references to past Bond adventures: https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/continuity-in-james-bond-films/

At the end of the day, you can assume that the Connery through Brosnan Bond is the same man (although, in reality, everything is pretty standalone).

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The best Bond game is Everything or Nothing. (Goldeneye is a good game but not a good feeling like Bond game)

I would like them to do more game-specific Bond stories, definitely.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Hitman lacks the charisma and chauvinism to be a Bond game

That's Just Cause.

Honestly it seems like it should be either Nintendo or WB Games via Rocksteady. However involving WB probably complicated things and Nintendo don't have enough Devs to make their own games as is

Nov 8, 2017
It really doesn't matter. We've had good and bad bond games that went in either direction. I will acknowledge that the ones based on movies have a worse batting average, though.

That reminds me I've got to make a new Bond Game thread.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Bond, it doesn't matter, even within the same film series they are vague and non committal about what exactly is "canon"

Not like it matters anyway, nobody seems to be interested in making games for it.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
It's Bond, it doesn't matter, even within the same film series they are vague and non committal about what exactly is "canon"

Not like it matters anyway, nobody seems to be interested in making games for it.

The team making it should be Sumo Digital. Is just that someone bigger then them should be paying for it.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Worked pretty well for James Bond 007: Nightfire, so I'm sure that it would work again.

That game actually had pretty fun missions and the MP was easily on par with Golden Eye, if not better.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
James Bond Multiverse game where all the Bonds work together for some reason or other.

Sounds like a nightmare to get liscences for, but if you're making it I'm buying it.

Edit: Bond: There can only be one

The BondxHighlander crossover that no one wants, nor has been asking for. With the state of the world at stake Bond is tasked with investigating a retired British nuclear facility built in the heart of Scotland. Only this time he's not alone.

Purchase the special Blown Cover edition for a special mission involving everyone's favourite MI6 staff member Money Penny, who has to get Bond out of a sticky situation after his cover is ... Blown

Last edited: