• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should big budget games utilize orchestra more?

• Yes

Votes: 132 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 108 34.1%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 77 24.3%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying it should be mandatory but I feel like with all that budget there could be more epic pieces out there for the video game industry.

Maybe I'm hard of hearing or there just hasn't been enough output.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I'd say no. Most games don't have orchestral music that is in any way memorable whether it's performed by real people or made using digital versions of those instruments.

There's a lot of music styles that can suit a lot of games.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Orchestrated soundtrack makes sense in specific settings. I don't think GTA VI should have an orchestrated OST :p

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Less. Let's stop centering Western classical music so much.

This might be the most insane take I've ever seen on ResetEra.

Anyway, if orchestral music is fitting for a game, yes. Absolutely. More please. Video games are helping to keep orchestras and big bands alive and I love it.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I don't think orchestral music is the problem, it's the fact that there is only one very specific type of orchestral music being used, mostly the action blockbuster, big sound but no woodwinds kind.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
No. They need to be utilizing more hard rock.
We need more rock soundtracks.

When was the last western video game with a metal OST (not just licensed songs)?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Not all games need orchestral music.

I'd love to hear more post rock arraignments in games, I think it works very well for a lot of genres

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Well... If it's just to guarantee a more Epic sounding track, then a full orchestra isn't a requisite, it really comes down to the composition... A rock track can be epic too, so can an electronic track or a composition that only features synth instruments.

It would be cool if it were easier for composers to work with an orchestra if it suits their vision, but that's easier said than done.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I think this is a good thread to convince music fans to put aside your grievances and unite against the true enemy of video game soundtracks: dubstep arrangements. Make Tekken listenable again, please.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Aren't orchestral soundtracks pretty much the norm in the AAA space these days? Other than games that are intentionally going for other feels (acoustic guitars in Last of Us, metal in Doom, traditional Asian instrumentation in Ghost of Tsushima, electronic music in lots of futuristic games). And even those, with the exception of electronic music, everyone is recording live performance. No one's going back to midi or anything, outside of indie games that are often doing it intentionally for effect.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should use it when the game needs it.

Games should not have rules. Devs should do what is best for their vision.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
There's already too many games that use it. What the industry needs is more variety, not less.

I think this is a good thread to convince music fans to put aside your grievances and unite against the true enemy of video game soundtracks: dubstep arrangements. Make Tekken listenable again, please.

There's not really much dubstep Tekken, wobble bass isn't dubstep.

This is one of the few songs I can think of and it's pretty amazing. Tekken has always used a ton of different kinds of electronic music, nowadays it's pretty high energy though and the amount of slow percussion focused songs is rare. Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken 7 soundtracks are both pretty good with a large variety of electronic music.

Tekken 7 has stuff like this which is pretty much the opposite of dubstep.

Edit: I'm also going to say dubstep gets way too much because of brostep and later pop artists using it. Stuff like Breezeblock's Dubstep Warz live sets were absolutely amazing stuff 15 years ago and sound great today.

Last edited:

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
No, the games that need it already have it, just because it fits with some games doesn't mean other games should copy it. That'll just lessen the impact of the games where it adds something to the experience.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Really?

THIS is the thing that crossed the line for you on ResetERA?....

Anyway, orchestra music isn't always necessary. Media in general should aspire to a diversity in music styles.
I feel like you might be a bit biased, Winterreise.
High-five for the pushback from the person with a Schubertian username.

Yeah, I mean, I might be a bit biased...

I am serious, though. I play in a community orchestra and video game music has been a godsend - it attracts crowds like not much else, and there's lots of variation and genres available to us, most of which have good potential to be arranged nicely.

Now, if only I could convince more publishers to put out sheet music/official arrangements...

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure most big budget games are using orchestrated soundtracks more often than not.
Within the wider net of live instrumentation of course

May 19, 2020
How about just interesting and diverse gamey music? I'm tired of games aping movies constantly and having less identity as an artistic medium as a result.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The way films have used the orchestra in their soundtracks has me very, very concerned by the direction games are moving in. It definitely has a place, and I love some of those orchestral OSTs, but they don't make sense for every game. I don't want the soundtracks of our games to sound generic and interchangeable in the future (as they already do so often in movies).

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and using it put Genshin Impact over the top for me (in addition to a lot of other things). Their use of environment music is really good even taking into light mihoyo's previous games (Honkai for instance).