• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Apple create tools to unlock iPhones for governments?

• Yes, safety first.

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • No, it globally jeopardizes journalists, activists, and citizens

Votes: 655 98.1%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
941773.jpg
Was thinking about the same exact episode lol

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely no. Most people likely won't care I guess, but I'd never buy an Apple product again if they budge on that.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Of course not. We had this discussion before. You really trust the government to only use this in extreme situations? Hell no. They'll use it every time they want. It'll render all the security Apple puts in place completely useless.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I voted no

But hasn't Apple in the past help Law enforcement by helping recover data from iPhones in the past?

Apple has done everything except bypass the encryption on the phone.

The government wants a backdoor, exclusively for them (🤣), that with grant them access to every device running iOS.

Depends.

If someone's life can be saved by unlocking a phone, you unlock the phone.

Call it a strawman, a slippery slope, whatever.

There should always be legitimate and regulated exceptions.

Encryption doesn't work that way. It's either secured or it's not.

If a backdoor exists, every Apple device worldwide is impacted and it won't just government who knows about it, or how to use it.

Innocent people will be affected by it.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
This is a huge, huge, huge part of why I still use iPhone for my personal phone (like, greater than 50%)

less

Oct 25, 2017
Apple absolutely should not make it easy for governments to unlock phones.

Oct 27, 2017
For example the government will use this in traffic stops against subjugated people. It won't just be the feds who have access to this if it's done, it will be the shit hole redneck police department in bum fuck wherever that uses it to shake down minorites.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna let you in on a secret:
There's no such thing as data safety, and if a sufficiently determined secret service wants your data, they'll have it.

I'd rather such things pass by normal warrant processes than nation states engaging in black hat activities.

I also reject the notion of companies having higher jurisdiction on data than governments.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I don't use iPhones (can't stand iOS), but this is one thing I fully support Apple on.

Their stance on this is 100% right.

The government is using the fact that people are,

A) Scared of terrorists

B) Dumb as hell about technology and how it works

to scare people into giving up their rights and privacy.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
No. Weakening security for the benefit of law enforcement (at various levels) means eventually others will exploit it. And some in law enforcement will abuse that privilege for their own ends.

It makes security worse for everyone.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's threads like these that make me want to switch to iPhone having never owned an Apple product before.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
The whole thing is stupid. If Apple builds backdoors for the US government into their phones, then people who don't want the US government to have access to their phones just won't buy from Apple, or will use an additional layer of encryption.

What the FBI/NSA are really looking for isn't just to get into a couple of phones, they want an easy way to get into ANY phone. If they get an easy backdoor, they'll be using it for a lot more than just terrorists.

If they really want to access the data on these couple of terrorist phones, it's already possible to do by disassembly.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna let you in on a secret:
There's no such thing as data safety, and if a sufficiently determined secret service wants your data, they'll have it.

I'd rather such things pass by normal warrant processes than nation states engaging in black hat activities.

I also reject the notion of companies having higher jurisdiction on data than governments.

As we've seen from the government basically begging Apple to add a backdoor, this is clearly untrue. If they already had a backdoor, they wouldn't need to plead with a corporation to unlock these phones.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As we've seen from the government basically begging Apple to add a backdoor, this is clearly untrue. If they already had a backdoor, they wouldn't need to plead with a corporation to unlock these phones.
Not always, and obviously not government-wide.

But there's always a vulnerability.
How long do you think Heartbleed was in the know for major intelligence players before somebody made it public?

Secret service gets it's intelligence. It's street-level enforcement that's left out.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. It may on paper start as "we'd only use it for X" but it'd be no time until they use it for far more frivolous things.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It is literally impossible to restrict such a thing to only "special situations" or "certain people".

I would only hope that, in whatever dystopian future this happens in, the people who advocated the hardest for it are the first to get their phones hacked and dumped to the internet for everyone to see.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If they have physical access to the phone, they can do it. It may be a slow and expensive process that includes taking chips apart and using microscopes and various other physical inspection techniques but they could do it (or probably just contract it out to someone who can)

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, when will the majority of the US peeps realize you actually elected a fascist?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I, for one, would completely trust Donald Trump to use such a backdoor in a prudent and judicious way, involving careful reasoning and long term strategic thinking, with great regard for the personal freedoms and privacy of private citizens from all countries. Don't you?

moru0

Oct 30, 2017
If they have physical access to the phone, they can do it. It may be a slow and expensive process that includes taking chips apart and using microscopes and various other physical inspection techniques but they could do it (or probably just contract it out to someone who can)
That can happen, however, there is sometimes a way and sometimes not. A lot of chips are hardened against this type of attacks (physical inspection) and various side channel attacks. The easiest way is usually to use a software zero day/private exploit. Those are really expensive, sometimes patchable sometimes not. And Apple devices really have a reduced attack surface when the phone is unlocked. It is getting incredibly difficult to hack a phone (or another embedded device really).

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The article you're referencing is over 20 years old and the vast majority of it is no longer applicable to what's used in modern devices.

If this worked on modern phones, there'd be a public market for it. There isn't, at least for iPhones.