• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Apple create tools to unlock iPhones for governments?

• Yes, safety first.

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • No, it globally jeopardizes journalists, activists, and citizens

Votes: 655 98.1%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I think Apple is completely right about this. As of now, they currently have no way to override certain encryption and locking features they encourage their customers to use for privacy. Modern iPhones that need to be unlocked by passcode are essentially useless to the government in investigations (though the particular phone in the first major dispute was supposedly unlocked in the end by a third party), and this became a national issue in 2015/2016 when the FBI planned to get the courts to require Apple to give access to phones they do not have tools to currently unlock without the user. The government's argument was that in the wake of terror attacks in San Bernardino, the phone they recovered at the scene was no different than other data requests that tech companies are legally required to comply with as US businesses.

To this day, Apple hosts this response letter to the orders:

Apple has pointed out that the moment they are required to make such tools that break the privacy of their devices, there will be threats to their users around the world and in the USA. That activists, journalists, and citizens may end up targets of such tools under government direction.

And they're right. They should not be forced to end password privacy for devices in the hands of hundreds of millions of people.

Attorney General Barr is being dirty now (as Republicans are) claiming Apple isn't helping investigators against terrorism, but this is a lie. Apple has provided the data they have as the law requires, but they simply will not create a tool that unlocks the iPhone.

Tough on crime shouldn't mean fuck everyone's privacy too.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
no, make the goverment work for it if they want the data. aren't the nsa full of super hackers? why cant they figure it out?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Short answer: no.
Long answer: the only real result would be complete removal of iphones from any sort of financial or political position. You'd literally be a liability just by having that phone for work.

Addendum, if Trump thinks it's a good idea, you should ABSOLUTELY not do it.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Nope
Systemic mass surveillance affects minorities disproportionately and is oppressive to privacy

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, but I get there would be situations where we'd want it really really bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. No government should ever be trusted with such technology. There is no threat that could ever possibly justify having such technology 'waiting' to be used, it will be used at every possible junction by any government.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. If there was then hackers would know there's a simple back door to look for. Everyone's phone would be fucked.

Mar 3, 2018
The one person that voted yes

why? who are you?

R1fdEt3.gif

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
What if they just want to make us think they don't already have a backdoor so that way we put more trust in these Apple products than we should.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is that there are already multiple ways for law enforcement and intelligence agencies to get around this if they really want to; via techniques like uncapping the security chips on iPhones or paying Cellebrite. They just want easy/cheap methods to do it whenever they want to for even lesser reasons.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Absolutely not. I don't want anyone in my business. I applaud Apple's commitment to privacy.

Edit: Houston PD can already unlock iPhones. Apple needs to find out how departments like this are doing it and make iOS more secure.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Depends.

If someone's life can be saved by unlocking a phone, you unlock the phone.

Call it a strawman, a slippery slope, whatever.

There should always be legitimate and regulated exceptions.