• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Animal Crossing feature voice acting?

• Yes

Votes: 62 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,175 95.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Asking for a deep multilayered plot is another thing people are going to disagree with. That's not really the point of these games at all.
Are you asking them to voice hundreds of unique villagers, and then use the classic digital voice for unvoiced lines? that's an extreme contrast and there's 0 chance of Nintendo using "Hollywood voice actors".

But why? How would adding a deep, multilayered story campaign, with Hollywood actors doing the voice acting, take anything away from the original experience? For the basic mode, you could have an option to turn off the voices of Danny Glover, Meg Ryan etc etc and go back to the standard voices. It would certainly add some spice to the series!

However, the poll is very against the idea so I'll let the dream die.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I don't really want it in any of the "big" Nintendo games. After BoTW's English VO and writing, I just need to see an example of them getting right before I'd trust them again. Animal Crossing needs to lean even further into the quirkiness of the first game in my opinion. Voice acting would push it away from that for me.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But why? How would adding a deep, multilayered story campaign, with Hollywood actors doing the voice acting, take anything away from the original experience? For the basic mode, you could have an option to turn off the voices of Danny Glover, Meg Ryan etc etc and go back to the standard voices. It would certainly add some spice to the series!

Unrelated content developed just because absolutely can take away from a focused main experience. The idea of a story campaign for AC is ... It would be like adding say... A significant mario kart type racing game mode to fire emblem three houses. It might have been well developed and even good, but even the act of putting it in shows a complete fundamental misunderstanding of what the series is about, and could easily have better located the budget and development time for the product.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
What!? No that's a horrible idea! And the video you shared makes me hate the idea even more!

Avacyn

Jan 14, 2020
I love the talking sounds for Animal Crossing. I'd be very disappointed if they changed them and put in regular voiceovers.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I want voicing in quite a few games - Zelda was a big one that I hope they continue to develop in that direction.

Animal Crossing is not one of those games. The conversation is light, the sounds are bubbly and cute, and having real voices would take away so much of the game's charm. The idea is just gross

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

And then what, employ the equivalent of every other languages Hollywood actors for their releases too? That's an absurd amount of money for something nobody asked for, and not something Nintendo would ever do.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I want voicing in quite a few games - Zelda was a big one that I hope they continue to develop in that direction.

Animal Crossing is not one of those games. The conversation is light, the sounds are bubbly and cute, and having real voices would take away so much of the game's charm. The idea is just gross

Yeah Fire Emblem benefitted a lot from all the characters having all their lines voice acted, but not every series needs that

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VA would actually cut into the amount of text all of the villagers have (which is a LOT). It would also likely cut into how many villagers would even appear in the game too.

The series doesn't even really need VA anyways, the Animalese is good and people love it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth I'm not against Animal Crossing spin-offs/adaptations having voice acting. Heck, that already happened with the cute movie:

But with the main game it's just dumb and limiting for no good reason.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I SAY YES to voice acting that is modified to ultimately sound more like a computer generated syllable. You know like they kinda already have in the game only the words are actually easily comprehensible and have a lot more distinguishable characteristics because of the care put into the villager voices

I also love the way a japanese let's player did it for Wild World (DS) - essentially high/low-pitching the voices she recorded for the villagers - although she put a lot more effort into it, voiceing even some of the bugs and adding idle mumbling sounds to the villagers and so on:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That wasn't a dream anyway, it was a nightmare

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Unrelated content developed just because absolutely can take away from a focused main experience. The idea of a story campaign for AC is ... It would be like adding say... A significant mario kart type racing game mode to fire emblem three houses. It might have been well developed and even good, but even the act of putting it in shows a complete fundamental misunderstanding of what the series is about, and could easily have better located the budget and development time for the product.

Come on. You know that adding a Mario Kart racer into Fire Emblem would be absolutely ridiculous. Like you said, it would add nothing and be very out of place. However, a deep, thought provoking story campaign in Animal Crossing is that out there. Still keep the same core gameplay, but add in an optional story mode voiced by some of the best actors on the planet. I'm not talking about getting Leonardo DiCaprio, but actors with unique voices, which is why I said James Earl Jones, Scarlett Johansson originally.

It would be pretty epic to have some dark, twisted, story mode in Animal Crossing and would definitely get me excited. Sometimes game devs throw a curve ball at their fans. The latest Yakuza game has turn based combat, which is a big departure from previous games. I think a lot of you just need to be a bit more open minded.

And then what, employ the equivalent of every other languages Hollywood actors for their releases too? That's an absurd amount of money for something nobody asked for, and not something Nintendo would ever do.

Death Stranding had some big actors. Did Sony employ the equivalent actor in every language for that game? Nope. So there is no reason Nintendo couldn't chuck the cheque book at Al Pacino for example for the Animal Crossing story mode (Al Pacino was just the first actor that came to mind. I'm not suggesting him for Animal Crossing)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Once the argument has become "why don't they just make an entire second game with a huge budget that's not like the original one at all and package it in with it for free" I think you've answered your own question.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Come on. You know that adding a Mario Kart racer into Fire Emblem would be absolutely ridiculous. Like you said, it would add nothing and be very out of place. However, a deep, thought provoking story campaign in Animal Crossing is that out there. Still keep the same core gameplay, but add in an optional story mode voiced by some of the best actors on the planet. I'm not talking about getting Leonardo DiCaprio, but actors with unique voices, which is why I said James Earl Jones, Scarlett Johansson originally.

It would be pretty epic to have some dark, twisted, story mode in Animal Crossing and would definitely get me excited. Sometimes game devs throw a curve ball at their fans. The latest Yakuza game has turn based combat, which is a big departure from previous games. I think a lot of you just need to be a bit more open minded.

Death Stranding had some big actors. Did Sony employ the equivalent actor in every language for that game? Nope. So there is no reason Nintendo couldn't chuck the cheque book at Al Pacino for example for the Animal Crossing story mode (Al Pacino was just the first actor that came to mind. I'm not suggesting him for Animal Crossing)

Please tell me this is just trolling.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019

Now this is advanced shitposting.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Have you ever even played Animal Crossing? What on earth.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

This sounds so absurd, it's very hard to believe you're not trolling. If this is what you're looking for, it should just be a different game altogether.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Sorry to ask that, but... have you ever played Animal Crossing?

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has it's charm in how it handles the voice clips as it is and I feel by having proper voice acting, it'd ruin it a huge aspect of it.

We do technically have official voice actors for the series in Japan, due to it getting an anime movie. I'd imagine if the series ever gets another animated project, they'd likely come back, as well as (hopefully) getting English voices for a dub this time around. The voices they chose for the movie are fantastic and I do love them, don't get me wrong. I wanna hear them come back again. But for the games? No. It'd absolutely lose a lot of it's charm with the text to speech method they use.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Holy shit. No it's not trolling or shit posting. Go through my 3k plus posts and you'll see trolling is not my thing.

It was actually something that I thought would be a good idea. I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. Sorry if my idea caused grave offensive.
I mean, can you blame people? You're essentially suggesting Animal Crossing discard the better part of its entire identity.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
While some series need the voice acting treatment, Animal Crossing isn't one of them. I like the cute gibberish voices.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean, can you blame people? You're essentially suggesting Animal Crossing discard the better part of its entire identity.

I was suggesting a separate, optional mode (deep story campaign with a list voice actors). The original game would still be there. I'm not ask Nintendo to flay the very soul of Animal Crossing, just a added game mode. Sorry that it's not a popular idea.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, they're both about wandering around in nature and delivering things to people to build up relationships.

Wandering around a small area full of characters vs wandering around an intentionally vast and empty landscape is a pretty tenuous connection. One is the definition of a cartoon-cute, quaint gamey game and the other is a produced, narratively driven, realistic styled cinematic story starring big name actors.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
I was suggesting a separate, optional mode (deep story campaign with a list voice actors). The original game would still be there. I'm not ask Nintendo to flay the very soul of Animal Crossing, just a added game mode. Sorry that it's not a popular idea.

Why would Nintendo pay all that money for an optional mode that goes almost completely against the core AC experience?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
But that's such a massive departure from the base game that's it's basically like asking for an FPS campaign where I can mow down all my villagers or a grand strategy game where my island can put together an army and conquer the surrounding lands to exploit them for their resources.

It's not an extra mode at that point, it's a whole spin-off title. And I think if you phrased as "this could be an interesting spin-off like Detective Pikachu" people would be more open.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This thread has jumped the shark and I love it.

Hideo Kojima presents
ANIMAL CROSSING
Divine Villager Retribution

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Absolutely not, I couldn't stand listening to that for more than a few seconds.

You can also hear the characters sounding out each letter of each word, which is pretty cool.

Animalese is the default spoken language of villagers and other characters in the Animal Crossing series. Each letter spoken is stated to synthesize the basic sound of a letter, leading to mispronunciation of some words. (i.e. "Animal Crossing" would be pronounced "Ah-n-ih-m-ah-l c-r-o-s-s-ih-n-g".)

More here:
animalcrossing.fandom.com

Language

Language is a setting in Animal Crossing, Wild World, and City Folk that determines the sound of characters' voices in the game when the player interacts with them. Since New Leaf, the player can't change the setting. Animalese is the default spoken language of villagers and other characters in...

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those games I would rather they did not. There is a lot of charm to the weird bleeps and blurbs of animal crossing.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Just play a different game dude.