• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Animal Crossing feature voice acting?

• Yes

Votes: 62 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,175 95.0%

• Total voters

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
No. And also, can't realistically be done.

So big nope if there's one.

Mar 23, 2018
3qchi2.jpg

The current voices are iconic to me and I don't even play Animal Crossing.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Games like Animal Crossing and The Sims should never have real voice acting because it takes away from the player building their own little world. The gibberish always your mind to fill in the gaps to fit whatever you desire.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abso-fucking-lutely. Like someone in the thread said, make it optional, but it would be amazing for my young children who can't read yet.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I could have sworn that all the gibberish in the original game was actually super sped up speech. Not human read speech, but still more than total nonsense.
It's called Animalese and, yes, it is actually phonetic. Works better with Japanese sounds, but even in English it is kind of there, but sounds much more like just gibberish.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
No, no way. This dubbing is okay I guess but it feels weird - it takes too long. The best thing about "gibberish voice" in games is that you can skip dialogues but still hear the "talking" :P

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
It MIGHT be ok for KK slider songs to have SOME actual lyrics but that as far as it should ever go. Even then I still want it to sound like the normal noises they make.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Look to examples like Celeste and Hollow Knight as to why gibberish is infinitely more charming than voice acting in non-realism games.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That sounds terrible, and that's probably why OP didn't dare to make a poll.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic, but in my head, the AC animals, Banjo & Kazooie, and the Star Fox crew in the SNES game are all speaking the same gibberish language.

But on topic, I wouldn't really want it, and also feel like it would probably limit the game's dialogue and villager count to compensate for how much voice acting there would have to be.

Off topic again, but I do think Pokemon should get it, at the very least for cutscenes. Less so for Pokemon cries/sounds.

Oct 25, 2017
We can leave that for a future animated special like that one anime years ago.

The games wouldn't be the same without the cute gibberish.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I like voice acting, this game DOESNT need any voice acting.
Not only that but animals are already reading the localized text that appears in text boxes (just superfast), phonetic langauges sound better, but it is what it is, though not gibberish, its not Banjo Kazooie like.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read it to them. Parents reading to their kids has a myriad of positive benefits anyway.
We read books to them all the time, and we've been reading Mario Odyssey to them, too (another game that should have VA).

There are still plenty of times when we're busy with something else and can't read a video game to them.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no, that video linked in OP is HORRIBLE. I can't stand those fake kiddie voices. Leave it the way it is digitized sounds.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the current "voice acting" is charming and it gives them a lot more flexibility when it comes to writing dialogue and having hundreds of characters.

The best they could do is the Rune Factory 4 style cut-in clips but tbh those grate on me eventually.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That video is absolutely cursed and ruined stitches for me.

Also imagine having to add voice over for EVERY VILLAGER, or the alternative where everyone has the same voice, like all your jocks are voiced by Troy Baker and get in convos with each other.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Just imagined Tom Nook "friendly threatening" you to repay your debt with a regular voice acting, and then with high-pitched "Chipmunk" voice ... and i've come for myself to the conclusion that the only viable answer should be: No!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
We should all talk in animalese instead.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Nope, it's a distinct part of the series personality. Part of the calming aspect of the series is tuning out human babble IMO.

edit: and the additional localisation time? Screw that.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Every 60 dollar top publisher game in this day and age needs voice acting at the bare minimum. Sadly Nintendo doesn't view it that way.

No it doesn't. Animal Crossing's already established Animalese language is part of what makes it so special.

Also do you realize how expensive and time consuming recording dialog for 400+ characters, who would need to have lines concerning almost every single item in the game, in all supported languages would be?

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Fully dubbing a game like Animal Crossing seems like actual budget suicide.

You would need to:

- Hire quite a few voice actors to cover all of the 300+ villagers
(but let's be conservative and say 30 people covering multiple roles would suffice)

- Actually record a considerable number of voice lines (New Leaf's script was 3.800+ pages according to a Reddit user)

- Make every voice actor say EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the whole game for incidental dialogue.

- Do that AT LEAST 6 MORE TIMES to at least cover the 6-in-1 European language standard.
(not doing so would be an insulting cop-out)

And if the solution is "Just dub the important dialogue", why even bother to begin with?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't like voice acting at all, personally. It feels at odds with the style/format of the whole series.