• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Animal Crossing feature voice acting?

• Yes

Votes: 62 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,175 95.0%

• Total voters

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I mean it worked for Tomodachi Life, but that got away with the slightly off voice acting by being a slightly off game. I don't see the Mii speak, which could actually do improvised text and names, work well for Animal Crossing.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No no no no no no no no no

Even if it was possible, which it absolutely isn't, it still shouldn't be done

Grand Staff

Oct 28, 2017
That's a big no! How they sound is very satisfying and adds to the charm of the franchise. Removing it after around 20 years would be very odd.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No way. The gibberish is so charming and they'd have to record a hell of a lot of lines considering how many characters there are.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You know that there is a Pokemon Anime?

There's also an animal crossing anime
animal-crossing-1061489.png

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It would be terrible in Animal Crossing. There's no way they're going to give all 300+ villagers a unique voice, so you'll just be hearing the same strings over, and over and over...

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it worked for Tomodachi Life, but that got away with the slightly off voice acting by being a slightly off game. I don't see the Mii speak, which could actually do improvised text and names, work well for Animal Crossing.
in Japanese, Animal Crossing's speech system is actually pretty close to Tomodachi Life's

it just doesn't work as well in other languages

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look Zelda you have an argument. Because it's not like there's been an established charming language. But Animal Crossing has a whole history of the cute gibberish every animal has. KK Sliders singing has been memed into covers for popular songs. There's even an anime where everybody speaks Japanese and the second KK starts singing it turns back into Animal Crossing language.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The squeaky gibberish is such an iconic part of AC as a series that adding real voices would make it less charming. I'm fine with VA in Zelda and Pokemon, but AC? Nah.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not, I love the little chirpy noises they make, it's part of the charm.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would lose alot of it's charm in my mind.
So I def. don't need voice acting.
Pokemon has cutscenes where people mimic mouth movements on a cadence where they are acting like they are speaking. It's awkward.
It's awkward in Pokemon not in AC though. Can't really compare the presentation approach of both games.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Absolutely not.
The current voice sounds are part of the series identity.
I actually think fewer games need voice acting. Especially jrpgs as there is so much dialogue and 99,9% you read it waay ahead of the voice acting. It just gets tedious having to wait for the voice to catch up.
In addition, voice acting can be bad. When you read, the acting in your head is never bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon has cutscenes where people mimic mouth movements on a cadence where they are acting like they are speaking. It's awkward.

I'd much rather they improve other aspects of the game than include VA only because you find it awkward, lmao. I don't think VA is necessary at all, plus there's always the possibility you get an extremely annoying VA.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. I'm not sure whether the voice acting in that video was bad or just simply didn't match AC at all, but I never want to hear that again.

No, no no no.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Would lose alot of it's charm in my mind.
So I def. don't need voice acting.

It's awkward in Pokemon not in AC though. Can't really compare the presentation approach of both games.

I wasn't talking about AC.

I'd much rather they improve other aspects of the game than include VA only because you find it awkward, lmao. I don't think VA is necessary at all, plus there's always the possibility you get an extremely annoying VA.

Well I think it is. "Making the game better" is such a big overall thing. Doing voice acting doesn't mean Pokémon can't also be better in other aspects.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Off all the Nintendo games to request VA, Animal Crossing is certainly not one of the top ones.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
If you remove the Animalese, it loses some of the charm of the game. It would however be nice if they improved the text-to-speech aspect of it for the English version. Apparently, it sounds pretty good in Japanese (which is pretty common given their base sounds) and is actually pretty understandable. It'd be nice if we could get something closer to that in English. Still has the charm, but isn't just straight recordings...which would be hella expensive and exhaustive given the sheer amount of dialogue for these games.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
in Japanese, Animal Crossing's speech system is actually pretty close to Tomodachi Life's

it just doesn't work as well in other languages
It does? I never noticed, but New Horizons will be my first AC, so maybe that's why I never knew.

Tomodachi Life's speech was pretty impressive for the 3DS. With how it could do names and catchphrases easily. Heck, it even pronounced my nickname Mii right, even if that required an edit.

I kind of want another Tomodachi Life, but with how little Miis are used on the Switch, it kind of feels like that game was a product of its time.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I could have sworn that all the gibberish in the original game was actually super sped up speech. Not human read speech, but still more than total nonsense.