• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Among Us be considered for GOTY awards?

• Yes

Votes: 156 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 675 66.8%
  • OP looking kinda sus for this thread

Votes: 364 36.0%

• Total voters

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
At The Game Awards, the only thing I can see Among Us get nominations for is probably best ongoing game. If it gets any other nominations, then I'll say that these awards are 100% rigged.

And even if it did come out this year, Among Us is essentially a retheme of Mafia/Werewolf with a slightly different cutesy yet dark theme and the addition of tasks/removal of day/night cycle, and while those changes are excellent ways to spice up the traditional social deduction genre, I wouldn't call it super revolutionary. (and if you would argue that it is revolutionary since it brought a version of Mafia/Werewolf to the mainstream gaming public, Town of Salem did it first.)

It would be nice to see Among Us get GOTY nominations since it's clear the team deserves recognition for their efforts, but I'd rather they don't break too many of their own rules just to generate publicity. (The fact that it seems they are extending the deadline for submissions to accommodate Cyberpunk 2077 already has me a bit worried.)

Bruv, then why are most ain't even that.

Last year, the GOTY nominees were Control, Death Stranding, Sekiro, RE2Remake, Smash Ultimate, and The Outer Worlds. The year before that in 2018, we had MH: World, God of War, Spiderman PS4, Celeste, RDR2, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey up for the award. Outside of Assasin's Creed Odyssey and maybe RE2Remake (since it is a remake after all), I doubt that you would think that the majority of these games are not GOTY worthy.

There should probably be some way for a developer to say "Our game was the game everyone wanted to play this year, more than any others." I personally don't play Fortnite or GTA:Online, but it's silly to me that they're shoved off in a corner for being so fun for their players that they're still dominating play time each year.

The problem that I see with that, is that the games that usually would fall under this are arguably so big, that they would win the award multiple times. Notice that Fortnite has swept the Best Ongoing Game category each time it was nominated. Imagine if Fortnite could be up for GOTY every year. Imagine if GTA 5 could get nominated for GOTY each year. I find it a bit ridiculous, especially since it would overshadow those new releases that are coming out each year.

Absolutely.
It is one of THE games of the year next to fall guys and animal crossing but we all know they'll go with the boring okay choice TLOU2.

Animal Crossing and TLOU2 will definitely get nominations. Considering the blowback some aspects of TLOU2 got, I honestly have doubts it will win. I see TLOU2 in the same spot as Death Stranding/RDR2. It's going to get the most nominations and may sweep in some of the earlier categories, but will miss out on taking home the big prize. Right now, the only thing that will decide what games will show up in nominations and which will take home the prize is the eligibility deadline and when the cutoff is. (Cyberpunk and the first wave of Next-Gen games coming in may shake things up a bit)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. This isn't all that serious of a thing.

Especially on this forum where Hollow Knight wins best remake / remaster because of Nintendo fans.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
lots of predicatble binary yes or no answers in here as expected

gaming is changing... destiny 2 is not a 2017 game... sea of thieves is not a 2017 game... ff14 is not a 2010 game... no mans sky is not a 2016 game

there is an argument that games which evolve, if warranted, should be recognised at certain points for their excellence

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

gaming is changing... destiny 2 is not a 2017 game... sea of thieves iis not a 2017 game... ff14 is not a 2010 game... no mans sky is not a 2016 game

there is an argument that games which evolve, if warranted, should be recognised at certain points for their excellence
Yea...it's a category called ongoing games.

Oct 29, 2018
I'd say definitely. While it came out 2 years ago, it's not until now that it's become a huge phenomenon. So in a way it came onto its own this year.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Giant Bomb has a "Old game we found and really liked this year" category so it could make that list :P

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem a little harsh considering I imagine most of its reviews (if it has been reviewed) will be from this year, but nah, I wouldn't have it for "official" GOTY lists, but instead "best ongoing game". The less traditional awards like GB guest lists, sure why not.

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
If other games that increased in popularity after release year are not considered (e.g. Hollow Knight), then no.

Jul 20, 2020
Yes, its one of the most fun I had in a game in years. I think that while it doesn't have high budget productions it hits the fun aspect better than most games this year. It shouldn't win but off originality and fun it should be.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Best Ongoing maybe. But hell no don't screw over a game released this year because 2 years later people found a good stream game.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Noted games that came into the conversation for the first time 2020. Yes of course.
Its not that rare that a game blows up way after its first release, just look at the likes of Minecraft, Factorio or Hollow Knight. You could even make the same argument for Fortnite. Left 4 Dead 2 just got a brand new campaign yesterday and the game is from 2009. Should it also be a GOTY contender if it blows up? No. Good thing is that we have the seperate category "best ongoing games" for games that fail to meet the GOTY requirements.

Btw Mario 64 is actually somewhat a valid 2020 contender while Among Us isn't.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

gaming is changing... destiny 2 is not a 2017 game... sea of thieves is not a 2017 game... ff14 is not a 2010 game... no mans sky is not a 2016 game

Best update? Goty usually is for NEW games, not games that have been out for years that got a lot of attention due to an update or some how catching interest of streamers.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Everyone will have moved on to the next flash in the pan streamer game well before game awards are being voted on anyways...

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
if the year 2020 is defined with the extreme popularity of a game, that game should be able to be considered GOTY, regardless of when it first was released.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, absolutely. Hades is gonna be on a lot of GOTY lists and people have been playing it heavily since, like, 2018. Hollow Knight released on PC the year before it released on Switch, but the latter blew it up enough to generate a bunch of GOTY talk.

GOTY discussion doesn't benefit at all from unnecessary rigidity. Among Us blew up this year in a way that 100% resembles the creation of a launch window zeitgeist, it's one of the defining games of 2020, and the amount of fun people are having with it as a mostly new discovery means it would be counterproductive to disqualify it on a technicality.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, but that Game Awards show tells a ton of advertising.

I'd consider it for my personal list. Almost none of us even knew about it until recently. Such is the fate of many good indie games.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Not sure why some silly multiplayer game should win GOTY instead of TLOU2, a game that's a masterpiece in many ways. Some people call TLOU2 a safe choice, but it took more risks than most games this year, it being AAA doesn't change that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why some silly multiplayer game should win GOTY instead of TLOU2, a game that's a masterpiece in many ways. Some people call TLOU2 a safe choice, but it took more risks than most games this year, it being AAA doesn't change that.
Lol yea, it can't be both a safe choice, but then also not likely to win because of being controversial. One or the other.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, even if it came out this year, it probably wouldnt be nominated, doesnt seem the kind of game that would get that spot on most websites, kinda like how racing and fighting games are shadow banned from being nominated for goty

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, absolutely. Hades is gonna be on a lot of GOTY lists and people have been playing it heavily since, like, 2018. Hollow Knight released on PC the year before it released on Switch, but the latter blew it up enough to generate a bunch of GOTY talk.

GOTY discussion doesn't benefit at all from unnecessary rigidity. Among Us blew up this year in a way that 100% resembles the creation of a launch window zeitgeist, it's one of the defining games of 2020, and the amount of fun people are having with it as a mostly new discovery means it would be counterproductive to disqualify it on a technicality.
Fortnite blew up in 2018 and was basically a nothing game before PUBG exploded BR as a genre.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All other games should just pack up and go home? What the fuck is this shit?

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
No. It basically puts what is a very popular board game type into a video game format. Battlestar Galactica, Secret Hitler, The Resistance, etc. Arguably these games do it better, too.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I like how you don't even try and be subtle.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Game of the year is for the best games of the year, not the most popular. Even with that, Among Us isn't a 2020 game, so its time to be considered for Game of the year has come and gone.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
If other games that increased in popularity after release year are not considered (e.g. Hollow Knight), then no.

I absolutely voted for Hollow Knight the year it came out for Switch and I still think it was dumb that Era didn't consider it officially allowed on the GOTY list.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The problem that I see with that, is that the games that usually would fall under this are arguably so big, that they would win the award multiple times. Notice that Fortnite has swept the Best Ongoing Game category each time it was nominated. Imagine if Fortnite could be up for GOTY every year. Imagine if GTA 5 could get nominated for GOTY each year. I find it a bit ridiculous, especially since it would overshadow those new releases that are coming out each year.

I personally just don't have an issue with that. If other games want to beat them, they should have to beat them. I just don't really put any stock in someone winning GOTY and saying "we had the best game of X" when we all know there were games that were excluded. For films it makes more sense because those don't receive updates (for the most part). The film you get is the film you get.

If they want to attach the year to the game, then I think that would be a fine clarification. GOTY nominees in 2020 include Fortnite 2020, TLOU2, Animal Crossing, Among Us 2020, etc...

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I would say yes because I care more about the impact that game had in the year it is nominated for than the year it released. For most games, they make the most impact in the year of their release, but cases like this are incredibly rare, which is why I believe we should celebrate them all the more.