• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should it be?

• CGI

Votes: 338 71.5%
  • Live-action

Votes: 135 28.5%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see a big screen Zelda movie... but how should it be? All CGI like the upcoming Mario movie or a live-action epic like Lord of the Rings? I would say if they do it, they'd probably base the first movie off Ocarina of Time since that's the beginning of Link vs. Ganondorf, would make sense. But will they do it? That's a question.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want the movie to actually make money, live action.

I actually have a Zelda movie concept that I've been workshopping for a while. It's not based on any specific game (although it obviously has heavy OoT overtones for mainstream appeal) and takes place in continuity with the games.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
No movie. Anthology series, with different casts/filmmakers/etc doing their own take on the legend (or just a short portion of the legend).

Have one take be a silent film. Have another be a madcap Saturday morning cartoon. Do another as a musical. Embrace the inherent inconsistency of the series, rather than just stamping the LoZ brand on a PG-rated GoT knockoff.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hand drawn or CGI. I don't really see how well a live action one would work - might be too awkward/campy feeling

Oct 27, 2017
I think live action. Idk, I think the real question is should it be fun and whimsical like Link's Awakening, or serious like Twilight Princess. The answer to that question affects the answer to this one. OoT is kind of in the middle.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
lol...
images

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like comic book movies, they can adjust the costumes and set pieces. Live action.

CGI would allow whoever directing better flexibility with animations and has a better chance of looking good. To do live action they really need to get behind what works with live action and stick it otherwise they will fall into the trap of other live action adoptions and not just video game base.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell do people want this shit to be live action

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Animated or heavily stylized CGI. Live Action is a sin that just feels so off for this kind of property.

Still I can't imagine any film being very good, it's just not that kind of property that translate well in that regard. Link just doesn't work in that kind of medium. He experiences a kind of hero's journey that you see in these types of stories but without the internal conflict that is kind of crucial for most of these film experiences. Maybe in an animated film they could get away with keeping him as a functionally silent protag that's very expressive else-wise and give him a talkative sidekick to bridge the gap, basically just go WW style with a Linebeck or Tetra along side him, but I still don't see it working well. Once you have him start talking and/or doing shit like questioning his actions, or ability or any of those common internal conflict/self doubt stuff you see in nearly every adventure story it kind of ceases to be Zelda for me cause that's just not Link.

Last edited:

Aine

May 27, 2019
Realistically speaking, a live-action movie *can* work. Zelda is no different than your standard heroic fantasy story.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why not both?

The series is known for constantly reinventing its presentation and art style between installments (Just look at Wind Waker>Twilight Princess). Let's get beautiful animated and live action films.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I mean comic books and video games are different mediums, but, let's have the Spiderverse team make a Zelda movie!

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I was pleased by the Sonic movie, I still hate that they went with live action. I hate that for some reason every movie has to have real people in it.

Like, have you guys seen the new Lupin movie? That's some fantastic cgi animation. They captured the look and style of the characters perfectly, and would absolutely not work with live action.