• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Resident Evil 4...

• Be a full action horror game like the original

Votes: 615 82.8%
  • Considerably tone down the action (no suplex, bullet sponge zombies like REmake 2, and so on)

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Straight survival horror where avoiding enemies at all cost is the best course of action

Votes: 53 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mind if they tone down the ammo handout like its candy, but then they should add more random finisher moves from RE5 and 6.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
RE2 remake deviated from RE2, and it appears like RE3 has deviated just as much. I see no reason why RE4 shouldn't as well.

RE4 is in my top 3 favorite games, they can change whatever they want. Original isn't going to be erased, it's still a masterpiece to this day. The way I see it RE2 and REmake2 are two separate masterpieces with their own separate ranks among my favorite games ever made, if they could pull off the same with RE4 it's a win/win, if it's sub/par? who cares, OG RE4's right there and still as replayable as it ever was.

Oct 25, 2017
Should OP's thread making privileges be taken away for this thread title? >:(

God, just thinking about how unfun the bullet sponge zombies are...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE2 remake deviated from RE2, and it appears like RE3 has deviated just as much. I see no reason why RE4 shouldn't as well.

RE4 is in my top 3 favorite games, they can change whatever they want. Original isn't going to be erased, it's still a masterpiece to this day. The way I see it RE2 and REmake2 are two separate masterpieces with their own separate ranks among my favorite games ever made, if they could pull off the same with RE4 it's a win/win, if it's sub/par? who cares, OG RE4's right there and still as replayable as it ever was.
Why make a great game worse is my argument, as that's what removing the action would be to me.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Why make a great game worse is my argument, as that's what removing the action would be to me.
Subjective, an RE2 purist would say removing the fixed camera would "ruin" the game. If the developers felt the same way they wouldn't have taken the risk of adapting the remake to third person and making a more interesting game than a 1:1 remake.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Subjective, an RE2 purist would say removing the fixed camera would "ruin" the game. If the developers felt the same way they wouldn't have taken the risk of adapting the remake to third person and making a more interesting game than a 1:1 remake.

The argument there would be "tone" as changing the camera might've changed how scares could be utilized. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't consider either version of RE2 a "horror" game.

While the changing of tone itself to make RE4 "scarier" by removing aspects that made the game what it is, is a whole other beast. The opposite would've been "What if they added RE6 melee to RE2" to make it more actiony, as the original is always there.

It does ultimately fall on the developers and what they want to achieve. But you can't really aim things as "Well one tone shift is ok but the other would be wrong".

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean obviously it's subjective, I think taking away the action would ruin RE4 and be a sure fire way to ensure I don't buy it. The developer can do whatever they want I'm just saying how I feel.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
What makes Resident Evil 4 great is the sheer breadth of gameplay with both action and survival horror. You can't just "take one out" or make it all "just action."

It's both survival and action horror at its absolute finest.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we're in a gaming forum talking about what would and wouldn't work for a hypothetical game remake that bears no relation to reality. What part of this isn't subjective? I don't see anyone citing sources or whipping out game design bar graphs.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Yes. Change it to be more in line with RE1,2, and 3 remakes. It can be a bit more "action-y" but grit it up a bit and add more actual horror to it.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the mechanics and set pieces are naff so I would be ok if they cut some of that naff and modernized the controls. I wouldn't mind bringing the horror into 4.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is one of very few games I consider perfect. There is no need to remake it. If you want to just replace the models, textures and lighting, be my guest, but anything else will ruin what is otherwise perfect.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
For starters, they have to remake Code Veronica next. (Maybe Outbreak or Zero? Get back in the queue, RE4!)

Hell, I'd love for them to tackle RE1 again before 4.

But it's inevitable. Maybe at the end of PS5's cycle.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I would like a Re4 with Re2 remake probably Re3 remake control, aiming and real time inventory.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want it remade because there's no way they're striking gold with how well the dynamic difficulty worked in the the first one in a remake
They will add in side strafing and I don't have faith they will properly rebalance every fight in the game to compensate.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is the FF7 of its series. A remake is inevitable as it would allow Capcom a new game to infinitely port. 15 years of RE4 ports is running dry, it sells less than RE5 and RE6 on all the platforms it has been on port wise. So its age is definitely showing, no matter how many of us deem it the "perfect" game.

Similar to REmake, some elements of RE4 just aren't to the liking of modern expectations such as not being able to move and shoot. There's a lot you can do with a RE4make and that potential is VERY interesting to think about.

Stuff like the Bitores boss fight or Regenerators in RE engine?
Bitores-Mendez.jpg

re4regenerator.jpg

Yes please, and that's only the tip of the ice berg.
You're right there.

I think it's coming along with the new consoles, people will foam over it.
2021 RE 4 Remake.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
RE4 is fun because it's full of stupid shit. There's a fucking child running around like Napoleon. If you're removing the suplexes and action, may as well rip out everything else resembling a personality.

REmake2 is amazing, but it's building on a broader foundation, tonally.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't complain if they kept all of the action but dialed up the horror a little more, I don't think anything drastic should be done to the game's tone though. I'm all for a reimagining but if they were to abandon the action and over-the-top elements I would rather they were just making a new 3rd Person RE.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, 4s action/slow section balance is perfect for the type of game it wants to be. If you removed the action, youd also need to tone down the campiness. Can you imagine Leon not asking if everyone is going to Bingo?

Its 5 and 6 who need to tone it down, but I doubt those will get remakes.

polyrizumu

May 15, 2018
The only action I think it should realistically tone down is maybe some of the island segment, but otherwise it wouldn't be the same without the ridiculous balls to the wall action and camp.

I think they should just do a general visual overhaul, give it dual stick controls and update the voice acting. It's perfect as is, and it's not as outdated as RE2/3 were that made them in need of greater overhaul.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Make it a full action game, but a little more grounded and toned down. I think it could work really well if it'll be a bit more serious but keeps a healthy level of cheese. Suplex should not be included, it's great in the original but It's so over the top, it would be a bit too much for my vision of the game.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'd like to remind this forum that action RE is still best selling RE. You'd think everyone hates action by reading some of these threads.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you take the action out of an action game? Why don't we remove all bullets from Thunderforce while we're at it? Or all enemies from Gradius? In fact, why not just go to the end-credits as soon as you boot up the game?

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's aged badly, there's a lot a remake could and should massively improve, but the action element is not one of them. It's what the game is built around.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I think they will remake it, hopefully remains intact with just better graphics and improved gameplay, Resident Evil 4 is an action game, why change it

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game just a needs a Shadow of the Colossus style visual upgrade, nothing more. Changing parts of the game would just ruin the amazing flow and fun gameplay loop the original had.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you remake a game and take out part of what makes it unique? If you guys don't like action horror RE games there are plenty of options. Don't ruin a remake for no reason

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Make it completely different and first person with no weapons like the outlast series. See how well that goes down

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Just remake the assets in the RE engine, keep everything else exactly the same.

AND REMOVE THIS FUCKING PUZZLE.

maxresdefault.jpg

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
It doesn't need a remake and it will definitely, somewhere down the line, get a remake. I say keep the camp, the action, but try to up the horror - RE4 seldomly was scary the way RE1/2/3 where. I think they succeeded splendidly with this in RE2.

But a CV remake would be so much more interesting.