• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Resident Evil 4...

• Be a full action horror game like the original

Votes: 615 82.8%
  • Considerably tone down the action (no suplex, bullet sponge zombies like REmake 2, and so on)

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Straight survival horror where avoiding enemies at all cost is the best course of action

Votes: 53 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
We all know that Action RE is a contentious subject. Some people love it, some people hate it. Thing is, RE 4 seems to be able to bridge the gap between action and horror fans and as such is considered one of the best in the series as well as one of the best games of all time. So, the question is, how should Capcom handle a REmake 4? Should it be pretty much the same only with modernized controls and graphics to honor the games legacy as perhaps the best action horror game of all time which influence 15 years of game design and counting? Should it be an overhaul to remove the over the top action set pieces and actions like suplexes? Should it be a straight survival horror game like REmake 2 where you can't do more than shove an enemy at it can take up to 10 to 13 headshots just to down a single zombie?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just....don't remake it? It's not super outdated like the first three games were. At least wait awhile too, and even then, just do a full visual overhaul and tweak controls.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They wont remake 4, it's already on modern consoles and is held up as an example of a perfect game by many

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
They could improve the puzzles and make it so you have to explore more to find keys. I'm not sure if it would be an actual improvement, though tbh.

Well they could smooth out the back half of the game, maybe dial back the weird nonsensical war zone stuff and have a more involved horror sequence in the island lab with the monsters.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Me to the OP for making such silly questions

resident-evil-4-suplex-gif-3.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think RE4 would gain much from a REmake. The technical gaps between RE1 and REmake and RE2 and RE2make are massive. A remake of RE4 would just result in a better looking RE4, and I'm pretty sure a fan just finished a version of that not too long ago.

As for removing the action, that's a lot of RE4's identity. It's the pivot towards action oriented gameplay. All of the survival horror entries were trapped on old gen until they were remade, which is why they needed them in the first place.

Also they rerelease it at least twice every gen so there's no real point. RE1, 2, and 3 Classic don't get many rereleases (the last ones were PS3 digital and DS games)

The only RE games past the PS1 that need remakes are CVX and Outbreak (and maybe 0, but that could pass with a remaster that adds item boxes in, probably)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's literally nothing in RE4 that needs to be updated, let alone warranting a full remake.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Also want to say that RE 4 is obviously getting a remake for those saying that it doesn't need it. Not needing it is not a good financial reason, also RE 4 with way better graphics just sounds like a better RE 4 and who wouldn't want that?

I dont get the hate for the idea of a remake for RE4.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i absolutely do not want to see Resident Evil 4 get remade, but if it were to and if it were to be backed with a huge budget (to the point where it's almost entirely a new game and simply using the original as a loose guide, like RE2), I would like it to be a drastically different game

this doesn't mean i need it to have a dramatic shift toward puzzles and slow-burn atmosphere, but I'm open to that

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hated the action stuff in Resi 4, including the suplex. I would prefer a remake be a straight up horror game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident Evil 4 is the FF7 of its series. A remake is inevitable as it would allow Capcom a new game to infinitely port. 15 years of RE4 ports is running dry, it sells less than RE5 and RE6 on all the platforms it has been on port wise. So its age is definitely showing, no matter how many of us deem it the "perfect" game.

Similar to REmake, some elements of RE4 just aren't to the liking of modern expectations such as not being able to move and shoot. There's a lot you can do with a RE4make and that potential is VERY interesting to think about.

Stuff like the Bitores boss fight or Regenerators in RE engine?
Bitores-Mendez.jpg

re4regenerator.jpg

Yes please, and that's only the tip of the ice berg.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of 4 but it should keep the spirit of 4.

People love it for those elements. What I like about 7 and REM2 is that those brought back elements of the earlier games. It would be unfair to fans of 4 to jam those same elements Sheree they weren't before.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Makes zero sense to actively ruin one of the best games ever made in its remake, lol.
Just update the graphics to todays standards that's all that's needed.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should a potential Mario 64 Remake take out the Third Dimension?

We all know that 3D Mario is a contentious subject. Some people love it, some people hate it. Thing is, SM64 seems to be able to bridge the gap between 2D Platformers and real life parkour and as such is considered one of the best in the series as well as one of the best games of all time. So, the question is, how should Nintendo handle a Super Mario 64...2? Should it be pretty much the same only with modernized controls and graphics to honor the games legacy as perhaps the best 3D platformer game of all time which influence 24 years of game design and counting? Should it be an overhaul to remove literally everything that made this game special when compared to its predecessors? Should it be a shitty best of both worlds situation like Super Paper Mario where you can platform in 2D and 3D, but it's disappointing either way?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 4 is the FF7 of its series. A remake is inevitable as it would allow Capcom a new game to infinitely port. 15 years of RE4 ports is running dry, it sells less than RE5 and RE6 on all the platforms it has been on port wise. So its age is definitely showing, no matter how many of us deem it the "perfect" game.

Similar to REmake, some elements of RE4 just aren't to the liking of modern expectations such as not being able to move and shoot. There's a lot you can do with a RE4make and that potential is VERY interesting to think about.
We're not saying there's stuff that you can't improve on, but you're just not gonna get the same wow factor you got with the other REmakes, or FF7

Look at this, for example
DfdVZfGVMAEmFAX.jpg

mr_x_comparison-1152x648.jpg

We're hitting diminishing returns on gaming improvements right now. In like 5-7 years if games get another big boost, yeah I can see an RE4make, but as it is now? I just don't see a reason.

On top of that, using my example, RE2make didn't really remove anything (except the zapping system) but it double down on what the original already was: a survival horror game. RE4 has its own identity: a tongue in cheek espionage horror action game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want it remade because there's no way they're striking gold with how well the dynamic difficulty worked in the the first one in a remake

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
"Should a remake of one of the greatest games of all time be stripped of what made it so beloved in the first place?"

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
if anything re2 remake added a bit more action than the original. keep it campy, re4 is as prefect as a game ever made, but people are kidding themselves if they dont think capcom isnt already remaking it, they like money afterall

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be controversial and say: yes. If they remake RE4, go all the way. They should bring it in line with what REmake 2 and 3 are clearly going for with that style of gameplay; a heavier emphasis on puzzles, ammo preservation, and exploration. RE4 is brilliant, but I have also played said brilliance many, many times. The existence of REmake 4 will not take away old RE4, and it will be new and exciting to see a different perspective from the current team. It'll be less a remake, and more a re-imagining. I'd be interested in seeing CV first though, they can finally fix it.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remakes should capture the spirit of the original game, that's the entire point. If you don't have action, you lose what makes RE4 RE4.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate to tell you this but they arent going to take the action out of the most beloved entry in the series op.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
We're not saying there's stuff that you can't improve on, but you're just not gonna get the same wow factor you got with the other REmakes, or FF7 based on you example

Look at this, for example
DfdVZfGVMAEmFAX.jpg

mr_x_comparison-1152x648.jpg

We're hitting diminishing returns on gaming improvements right now. In like 5-7 years if games get another big boost, yeah I can see an RE4make, but as it is now? I just don't see a reason.

On top of that, using my example, RE2make didn't really remove anything (except the zapping system) but it double down on what the original already was: a survival horror game. RE4 has its own identity: a tongue in cheek espionage horror action game.

I mean Resident Evil 4 is a good looking game. You're right that the jump of PS2 to next-gen might not seem as radical as PS1 to current. But even with the RE4 HD project, there's a LOT more that can be done as we go into next-gen with the original (Similar to how much of a difference SOTC is to the remaster). Especially if the cutscene models of RE2/3 are what we can expect to be standard models next-gen.

043-oldr0jj5.jpg

043-zzz1bkur.jpg

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
This wave of threads wanting to make RE4 not RE4 for this hypothetical remake is worst resetera

We need to move on from this phase ASAP

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever they do, whether it's doubling down on the action (more combat options and melee moves for Leon), or going in a different direction (greater emphasis on horror), I just want a fantastic, amazing game. As long as it's that, I don't care either way. There's certainly a lot in RE4 that you could run with in a horror direction.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Resident Evil 4 is a good looking game. You're right that the jump of PS2 to next-gen might not seem as radical as PS1 to current. But even with the RE4 HD project, there's a LOT more that can be done as we go into next-gen with the original (Similar to how much of a difference SOTC is to the remaster). Especially if the cutscene models of RE2/3 are what we can expect to be standard models next-gen.

043-oldr0jj5.jpg

043-zzz1bkur.jpg
I'd be cool with a remaster but I consider that to be different from a REmake, and I don't think RE4 needs a REmake. SotC on PS4 is still the same game but it just looks nicer. The REmakes are both graphics updates and revisions.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A good RE4 remake should considerably reduce the shooting in the last 3rd? of the game. I think its after the last Krauser fight. That one part with the cover based shooting is terrible and a blemish on a nearly perfect game.