• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should it ignore Cross?

• Yes

Votes: 176 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 234 44.9%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 111 21.3%

• Total voters

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
They should make another game that recognizes Cross in the same way that Cross recognized Trigger, and tell a new story.

Chrono Trigger doesn't need a remake, just a better modern port.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
It's 2019 and we're still talking about Chrono Break? ..... damn talk about beating a dead horse.

Anyway, my opinion is the same as it always has been over the last 20 years. The problem with Cross is that it doesn't make sense within the world that was created in Trigger, and as a result it really fell below the mark. I've never been oppose to Chrono being a series, but I agree with the person above - it should be a totally different thing each time.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Games dont tend to retcon their own sequels very much. I DONT like CC very much so it would be great for me if a potential sequel ignored it all together and just did something else.

Just like with FF VII we now have a generation of developers who grew up with CT so a revival of some sort is not out of the question but it will probably never get the royal treatment that CT did

As big a fan as I am, I would actually prefer is Square resumed the "Dream Project" mantra and sought to make a truly collaborative JRPG with their strongest competition, the Persona team. Now THAT would be something.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure Tales is Square's biggest competition on JRPGs and they tried to work with Hideo Baba giving his own studio but that didn't work well.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Ignore cross like of Cross did it's own thing and then as the game went on tied itself to Trigger in a beautiful way. Yea I would like that very much.

Oct 25, 2017
That trailer is unbelievably good. Yes, please.

Ishida, also worth tagging you in here. Ignoring Cross is crazy talk.

Jesus Christ, I leave for a few hours and this blasphemy of a thread happens?!

Why would they ignore one of the best games of all time?

Besides, you can easily identify the haters that never actually played the game in this threads. There is no need to retcon Chrono Cross out of existence. The game itself already does that for you. Once the objective of Project Kid is achieved and Schala is saved, time is rewound and the ideal timeline from Chrono Trigger is restored, undoing most if not all the events of Cross.

That's the entire point of the plan, to rescue Schala while leaving the future created in Chrono Trigger intact.

Some of you have the most monstrous ideas. Let's also remove Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess out of the Zelda timeline if we are doing crazy shit.

please note that the aggressiveness is just part of the show, but my message stays the same :v

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i dont mind its story being present, but i fucking hated the gameplay with the elemental grid and all the useless pointless characters. so have better combat with a smaller group of characters developed and yeah im down for that. Cross had some cool ideas and phenomenal musix, i just cant stand playing the thing.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I think it's inherently more interesting to have them grapple with how to properly work in both previous games (especially considering the divisive nature of Cross), and if there's any stuff at all I would definitely prefer to have both, but I'd also be cool with them breaking off entirely and doing a spiritual successor that's not directly tied to either game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, I leave for a few hours and this blasphemy of a thread happens?!

Why would they ignore one of the best games of all time?

Besides, you can easily identify the haters that never actually played the game in this threads. There is no need to retcon Chrono Cross out of existence. The game itself already does that for you. Once the objective of Project Kid is achieved and Schala is saved, time is rewound and the ideal timeline from Chrono Trigger is restored, undoing most if not all the events of Cross.

That's the entire point of the plan, to rescue Schala while leaving the future created in Chrono Trigger intact.

Some of you have the most monstrous ideas. Let's also remove Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess out of the Zelda timeline if we are doing crazy shit.

please note that the aggressiveness is just part of the show, but my message stays the same :v

No retcon is winning, so the future is safe, for now.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Considering all of Cross took place on a tiny archipelago off the mainland, it could be "semi-ignored" with references peppered here and there, which is honestly what I'd expect.

What Cross really did to drop breadcrumbs for a sequel is in its references to The Fall of Guardia, Porre becoming an industrialized military nation, and
Crono apparently being dead, maybe - at least involved with the Guardia situation.
Chrono Trigger 2 could explore all of this in detail and I don't think anyone would complain.

That said, I voted no without hesitation. Cross is a fantastic game and shouldn't be written off just because it was different.

Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Chrono Cross is incredible, and putting it in the same bucket as DmC is laughable. To be clear, I love DmC, but the situation around Capcom's reboot is an entirely different thing.

However, if they were to do another game, start fresh. Maybe some homages to the original games, but let's see them try something different.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
new chrono game should ignore both games and do its own thing like Cross should have because Cross is a really good game when it's not trying to be a chrono trigger sequel and a really bad game when it is trying to be a chrono trigger sequel

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CC should have been its own IP, or at the very least only taken place in the Chrono world to tell its own story.

If it were called Crisis Cross this conversation wouldn't be happening and we'd recognize it as a pretty good, visually stunning JRPG.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if I was directing Chrono Break I wouldn't straight up retcon Cross, just make its events moot via some early event that, well, breaks the timeline (probably from the main protagonist killing Dalton, thwarting the Porre rebellion and breaking the timeline as a result, resulting him him/her getting flung across time periods and timelines). I'd probably just cherry-pick the bits of Cross that weren't garbage and use time travel/timeline shenanigans to make the rest moot. (Obviously, I don't have a high opinion of Cross. It's not terrible, but its battle system is severely lacking, too many potential party members with little mechanical distinction due to the battle system itself, and the actual narrative and themes are jarringly incongruous with Trigger. I legitimately don't get why some people think it's a great game, its only great aspects are the environment art and the music, that's it, the rest is okay at best.)

But in general, I would just take more from Trigger than Cross.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's what the vast majority considers the game to be already...

Do they? Do they really?

Because I rarely see Cross mentioned as anything other than a blemish on Trigger. More to the point, it deserves that reputation because it went out of its way to be Chrono Trigger 2 with its main plot.

The game should have excised all the mumbo jumbo with Belthasar and Schala and ended at the Dragon God.

Oct 25, 2017
Do they? Do they really?

Because I rarely see Cross mentioned as anything other than a blemish on Trigger. More to the point, it deserves that reputation because it went out of its way to be Chrono Trigger 2 with its main plot.

The game should have excised all the mumbo jumbo with Belthasar and Schala and ended at the Dragon God.

Not really. Check out most other Chrono Cross threads in this very forum. The consensus is positive and always has been.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I mean I think they'd do well to just "reboot" it in a sense of making a new game in the same universe/mechanics of time travel and stylized/Toriyama style or another good artist (I like Akihiko Yoshida myself but I know some people don't like him and Minaba Hideo's style).

I'm glad that Square/Nintendo are slowly starting to provide stylized graphics to the nerds like me who would prefer to see upgraded stylized art versus everything trying to go realistic and such.

As much as I like the shaders and stuff in FF7:Remake something about the tiny hands and silhouettes all being so different from the originals bum me out.

So I'd say just make another Chrono game in general and just play with the lore. It's got time travel in it, we can do anything at this point. Paradoxes galore!

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love Cross and I love the way it ties into the original's lore. If there really were a Chrono 3 I'd hope it would acknowledge events in Cross.

But at this point 20 years after the last game, I do think any future game should evoke the feel of Trigger, because it's time to bring back that original flavor. I actually think it would be great to see a remake of the original. Or if it is a sequel it should be a kind of "Force Awakens" style sequel that is patterned after the first game. It should be an RPG with time travel. No disrespect to Cross' great dual timelines concept, but time travel is the core idea to bring back at this point.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reuse the battle system, make a new game with a new story. The original's story/legacy remains undamaged, and we get more of the fun aspect that brought us in.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. It should be a sequel to both, bringing the cast of Trigger and Cross together for the finale. And by the "cast of Cross", it's pretty much just Serge and Schala.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Considering all of Cross took place on a tiny archipelago off the mainland, it could be "semi-ignored" with references peppered here and there, which is honestly what I'd expect.

What Cross really did to drop breadcrumbs for a sequel is in its references to The Fall of Guardia, Porre becoming an industrialized military nation, and
Crono apparently being dead, maybe - at least involved with the Guardia situation.
Chrono Trigger 2 could explore all of this in detail and I don't think anyone would complain.

That would make a good followup to my concept project, just a visual study on what that all looks like, mmm
I don't think Chrono Trigger needs a sequel and the creative talent that could make it has all left Square. What would be the point?

New talent that grew up with those games and now works at SE. Its one of the main reasons FF VIIR is even happening.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but the older I grow the more I'm convinced Chrono Trigger without Yuji Horii is never gonna replicate the same feeling of the original, and I'm afraid Square Enix doesn't agree with my assessment.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Probably not, no. I only like Trigger, but Cross accounts for half the fan base. The challenge with a third Chrono game would be reconciling a split fan base that's coming from two games that are very different in terms of game design and tone.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
I would like it if they just set it on a different planet with a whole different story/cast, only keeping certain elements like time traveling and Lavos.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Actually ignore CT and remaster Chrono Cross with the same treatment that FF Type Zero had!

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Always thought the beauty of what they had set up in trigger and cross is anything is possible. It could be great while ignoring both or neither, that could be part of the plot itself.

I would like nods to both cross and trigger but I don't even need to see a single character from either, it could be set 10000 years into the future and as long as it's as polished with an interesting story, engaging battle system, multiple characters and most importantly yasunori mitsuda id be very happy.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Just ignore both and do something original.

I agree and I don't think Chrono Trigger really lends itself to a great follow up.

Lavos was the threat the stretched from 65 Million BC to literally THE END OF TIME. Our heroes had a grand adventure through out those periods and no threat emerged that was greater than Lavos. The world was saved and the story was told. Not everything needs a sequel despite how successful or popular it is.

Venedas

Jan 1, 2018
I would prefer they go the FF route and each game exists separately. The story is perfect as is so I would rather an original story that uses time travel

Oct 25, 2017
No. It would be an incredibly lazy way to address fan response. I would accept a retcon, as I feel Chrono Cross would have been better off had it not changed the following events of CT in such a stark fashion. ie, do a game about saving everyone from their fates.

Also, give me a female protagonist.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross is a goddamned JRPG treasure and is a great sequel to Trigger without redoing the same things.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross is a goddamned JRPG treasure and is a great sequel to Trigger without redoing the same things.
Yeah considering Trigger felt like a full game, Cross was a good follow up. It kept the spirit of the game while doing its own thing.

I think what people want is not possible, they essentially want a Trigger sequel but not like Cross because it was too divisive, but Trigger left no room for a sequel.

So what do people want? Another remake?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I have never finished Chrono Cross (like many PS1 Square RPGs, the battle system was so incredibly slow and painful). Like with the PS1 FF games, if they remastered it with a faster battle system, I would love to replay it and finally finish it.

There is so much amazing beauty in that game.

And it should definitely not be ignored.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would make a new game who would keep expanding on the concepts that Trigger and Cross have, but moving the story away from then. Crono and Serge story is done, make a new story mixing Dimensions/Time, have references to the older games but goes on independent of them.
make it 100 years later in an alternate reality where Guardia never was destroyed, Dalton never went to Porre and Schala was able to keep Lavos at bay for longer
People like to bitch about what Cross did, but what if Break was about 'breaking' fate, time and dimensions in order to get the happy ending or a 'third dimension'?
I don't like it, but would be very in line with Trigger tone(and totally against Cross themes).

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it could. There's two "Good" endings in CT, and one has the crew go on another adventure with the intact Epoch. Seems like a great place to go on a different path for a sequel from the one Cross took. They could still reference Cross or the parallel world could even be visitable, but it would be super easy to do another Chrono game without making Cross a big deal.

Cross is still good though, so it's like, whatever. More Chrono is always good regardless.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cross is too good to be ignored.
Why would they ignore the better game?
manofculture.JPG

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
No for two reasons.

A. Cross is a very good game.

B. The the ending of Cross is intended to put everything right so to speak. It essentially wipes itself out of existence with the world being left in what should be a timeline that very little, if anything, of Cross's events even take place.