• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should it ignore Cross?

• Yes

Votes: 176 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 234 44.9%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 111 21.3%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played Chrono Trigger. Loved it. Probably the best RPG of all time. Love the world, love the characters. Cross? Never played it. But my friends who have tell me "It's a good game but it's just not Chrono Trigger's sequel."

Kinda how I felt about DmC, fine action game but not a Devil May Cry game. Not to mention Chrono Cross implies very miserable fates for most of the original cast. (Kinda like what the Star Wars sequel did to Luke, Han and Leia but I digress.)

Really the only loose end from Trigger was Schala and Cross does resolve that. (Although what the hell happened to her? She looks totally different! Yeah, I spoiled myself)

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Chrono Cross is a good game on it's own.

But IMO a new Chrono game shouldn't exists, the game is perfect as it is. Just keep re-releasing it so that more people can play it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Chrono Trigger needs a sequel and the creative talent that could make it has all left Square. What would be the point?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Absolutely not.

Chrono Cross isn't the direct sequel that some fans wanted, but it absolutely does tie up loose ends from Trigger and is a masterpiece of a game in its own right. I want Chrono Break to continue that trend and be a game set further along in the timeline, but also adjacent to the plot of Trigger/Cross and focus first on being its own thing than continuing the tales of Crono and Serge.

For what its worth, I think both Trigger and Cross had perfect endings that required no expansion. I think that's a lot of the reason why Cross is so different. Instead of revisiting a story that didn't need it, it opened a completely new one.

Full disclosure: Chrono Cross is my favorite game of all time, and Chrono Trigger is my 2nd.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Chrono Cross ended
with none of the events from the game ever happening

So, to stay canon, the kinda have to ignore it.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think Chrono Trigger needs a sequel and the creative talent that could make it has all left Square. What would be the point?
Yuji Hori is still around so not all of them are gone, but yes, I agree.

I have to be honest, I understand people wanting more of something they liked but, I am fine with Trigger and Cross being a duology and leaving it at that (I guess you could consider it a trilogy if you include Radical Dreamers). I let it go a very long time ago.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They should make a distant prequel that inadvertently wakes up Lavos as the only thing that references the others.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yuji Hori is still around so not all of them are gone, but yes, I agree.

I have to be honest, I understand people wanting more of something they liked but, I am fine with Trigger and Cross being a duology and leaving it at that (I guess you could consider it a trilogy if you include Radical Dreamers). I let it go a very long time ago.

Hell, even Horii doesn't work for Square, really. He works for Armor Project, and they just contract out to S-E whenever they want to make a new Dragon Quest.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
It is a very good game and it is very much a good chrono trigger sequel. People just wanted more of the same and that's why they would say something like that, but the truth is that it toke the franchise in a imaginative and brave direction, completely changing the gameplay and not just reusing the same characters again.

No reason to ignore it. However, square is not the company to do a new chrono game today anyway. At least i dont think they could do one well.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Cross is a great game in its own right. Chrono is done.

Trigger was a Sakaguchi/Horii collab with a whose who of ' directors' under them (Tokita, Kitase and Matsui) SquareEnix can't even remake FFVII without splitting it up into chapters, I can't see a project of this scale happening again and a 3rd Chrono game that's not to that scale will just get hated on, even if its good.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't use any old characters, except time gurus and maybe Chrono's team as bosses in an arena at the end of time, and fighting Serge's team.

Chrono Burst could be a cool idea.

First game - Several time periods
Second - Two Parallel dimensions
Third Game - 1 Time Loop

The first loop you stop the war in about 8 hours but half of civilisation is killed. Must play several loops to save everyone. On one loop the main villian will join you because of how strong you are and your knowledge. That would be a cool idea but a lot better than the comparables like Lightning Returns and not having a timelimit like Majora's Mask except completing a number of levels will just forward the timeline of events.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono 3 should triple down, make it yet another universe that is tied to both Trigger and Cross.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignore both, more interested in the concepts than the lore and characters. New world that doesn't have to be beholden to anything.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much as I dislike Cross I at least respect the idea of not wanting to make Chrono Trigger 2, even if that's what they ended up doing with the story.

Chrono Trigger was a dream team collaboration of geniuses firing on all cylinders. I don't think that can be replicated.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Hated what became of the characters in CC, so sure. Don't need to be a direct sequel I wouldn't mind if it was set like a thousand years from the first game I'd hope it'd go back to focusing on time travel. CC being limited to two parallel earths disappointed me.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I put yes out of spite for Cross's story, but in reality I don't want a sequel. Chrono Trigger is a game I view as its own story separate from any other game. I would rather have a "sequel" that isn't a sequel at all but rather its own story with no relation to past games whatsoever.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Hot take - Yoko Taro could make one hell of an interesting Chrono 3. It would play to his strengths much more than putting him on a Final Fantasy game would.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
No. Chrono Cross is definitely a Trigger sequel in every way, and a great game in its own right. If they were to continue the series, I'd hope it'd acknowledge both games yet go on to be its own thing - not a direct sequel to either, with maybe just passing mentions to characters and events in the previous games.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Continue after Cross please - but this is in some fantasy world we are NOT getting another CHRONO game (hope I'm wrong lol)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Continue after Cross please - but this is in some fantasy world we are NOT getting another CHRONO game (hope I'm wrong lol)

We got Mana back , for now, so I am hopeful Square will continue mining its history and bring Chrono back, given they seem to be out of ideas with Final Fantasy mainline games.

I'm just doubtful a Chrono 3 will satisfy everyone unless its the most expensive game ever made. And even then it may still disappoint.
In short, the stakes are too high, so maybe they should just consider remastering Trigger/Cross first.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Games dont tend to retcon their own sequels very much. I DONT like CC very much so it would be great for me if a potential sequel ignored it all together and just did something else.

Just like with FF VII we now have a generation of developers who grew up with CT so a revival of some sort is not out of the question but it will probably never get the royal treatment that CT did

As big a fan as I am, I would actually prefer is Square resumed the "Dream Project" mantra and sought to make a truly collaborative JRPG with their strongest competition, the Persona team. Now THAT would be something.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'd prefer they do something new and maybe just mention the old games in passing.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
We got Mana back , for now, so I am hopeful Square will continue mining its history and bring Chrono back, given they seem to be out of ideas with Final Fantasy mainline games.

I mean...this would be the best possible time in the last 20 years for sure. I don't know - I want to believe and hope but these games are 2 of my all time favorites so it hurts to get my hopes up :)

Oct 25, 2017
I want a sequel that literally follows ANYTHING at this fucking point.
The game can be about crono trying to find the perfect ham sandwich.

Square, just make fucking anything. It's been 20 mother fucking years.

I'll even take a God damn ouya sequel at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve would be two good properties to revive, since they've got more action-oriented gameplay that would theoretically be easier to translate to more modern conventions.

I mean, I just need a PE remake with gameplay lifted straight from HZD/Dragon's Dogma and I'd be fine and dandy.

higuma

May 17, 2019
The last time that Sakaguchi/Horii/Toriyama got together and made an original game they made Blue Dragon for the 360 which was painfully bland, so I'm inclined to believe their ship has sailed.

I'm all for SE to experiment with the IP though.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who adores both games I would say don't ignore CC at all or just do something completely original and ignore both games. Just give me a new Chrono game dammit.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The last time that Sakaguchi/Horii/Toriyama got together and made an original game they made Blue Dragon for the 360 which was painfully bland, so I'm inclined to believe their ship has sailed.

I'm all for SE to experiment with the IP though.

Horii wasn't involved in Blue Dragon, but yeah the intent in that game was very much to make a Chrono Trigger style RPG franchise for the Xbox.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a remake of Triger using Akira Toriyamas original art for the game done in a similar style of FighterZ.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just ignore both and do something original.

This.

Chrono Cross would have been a better game without ties to/shitting on Chrono Trigger.

Don't bring up Crono, Marle, Lucca, Frog, Robo, or Ayla (or Serge, Kidd, or Lynx) again. Veiled references to Schala/Zeal/Janus/Magus, okay. Incorporate the gurus/Spekkio/End of Time if it serves the story.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono series should be like Final Fantasy or Grandia, each game shares some common themes, but are their own unique worlds. Chrono should be a sci-fi fantasy series that revolves around elements like fantastical technology, time travel and alternate dimensions.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Cross is one of the greatest games ever made, it would be foolish to ignore it.