• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this a design flaw?

• Yes

Votes: 132 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 352 72.7%

• Total voters

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tech Enthusiasts: Bezels are the worst thing in existence and their presence makes me want to die.

Cat: Let me show you one of the benefits of a good, sturdy bezel.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not a design flaw, it's a compromise in design... Want super thin TV that goes edge to edge with almost no bezel almost all screen, and it also has to be super light, ... oh and it has to be below $2500? There's gonna be compromises.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
This is why you get the accidental damage coverage. Especially if you have your super thin tv in kitty biting range.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised the entire thing is 100% dead from that, but a TV isn't a high touch device so there shouldn't be an expectation that it cannot be punctured. They do need to make TVs a bit more robust so that you can move them safely now that bevels are non-existent, but protecting against something biting it is absurd.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I could not imagine calling customer service and expecting more than a shrug. Your cat put a fucking hole in your TV screen! The attempt to keep playing it down by talking about how small you think the hole is is hilarious. It's a fucking hole in your screen.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Tech Enthusiasts: Bezels are the worst thing in existence and their presence makes me want to die.

Cat: Let me show you one of the benefits of a good, sturdy bezel.
I don't understand the bezel hate. The only time I've ever been inconvenienced by a bezel is when I tried a dual monitor setup where Screen A stretched to Screen B instead of the a: landscape b: portrait setup I have now.

Even on phones, my hands keep phantom pressing because of the lack of bezel and it's annoying as hell.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all surprised RLM are acting this way, bunch of fuckin losers.

"Yeah there's a puncture hole right on the screen of my ultra thin tv. But it's so small! How could that kill the tv? What a bad product!"

Like shut the fuck up lol

Oct 27, 2017
More proof that dogs are superior to cats

I guess if bit through a wire or a transistor or whatever it could brick the whole tv. Weird the person is outraged though

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Calling out LG on this is dumb and sleazy.

Same energy as this:
xP13ECo.jpg

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
You try puncturing an old tv and see if it still works or what happens. Don't do this, please no!

Oct 27, 2017
This seems pretty flimsy tbh, something like that bricking the tv seems odd, but I don't really have a good grasp of what the damage is.

Also a cat biting a tv is the most rando passive aggressive cat shit ever.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I do feel that electronics in general should be slightly more robust than this.

The problem is societies obsession with thin electronics. They could easily make it an inch this housing and it would probably be cheaper to produce but then all the reviewers will bomb it for ugly aesthetics.

Oct 25, 2017
This got me thinking. Surely there's something on the internet somewhere that replaces everyone involved with the Death Star trench run with cats.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
We kept the (rather large) TV box. Moved twice. The Oled is fine. We had the box under the bed or sofa and now it's in the garage.

It's impossible to move a large Oled without its original box without breaking it, short of a miracle.

I bought a TV moving box from Home Depot for my OLED when I last moved and it arrived without issue. We did make sure that it was kept vertical.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't understand the bezel hate. The only time I've ever been inconvenienced by a bezel is when I tried a dual monitor setup where Screen A stretched to Screen B instead of the a: landscape b: portrait setup I have now.

Even on phones, my hands keep phantom pressing because of the lack of bezel and it's annoying as hell.
Never venture into the comments section on The Verge.

I bought a new TV last year, and there were two thick, removable plastic bars on the front of the screen which served the singular purpose of providing an area to grip when removing it from the box. That's how fragile these things are.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The posts defending the fragility of these $1500+ TVs are some of the weirdest shit I've seen in a while.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's either that or back to CRTs. You can add bevels or thicker glass but those are considered visually ugly, make the tvs heavier and larger, cost more, and aren't likely to protect against the most common forms of damage anyway.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The posts defending the fragility of these $1500+ TVs are some of the weirdest shit I've seen in a while.
What why? Expensive shit is fragile all the time. In fact it's often MORE fragile. If I buy a $1500 turntable I don't get pissed that I can't carry it around sideways and chuck it on the ground like a briefcase Crosley.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure how you would design around preventing this. Making the casing more sturdy wouldn't help with a straight up puncture to the front. Making the glass on the screen thicker to the point it would be able to prevent against a cat bite would definitely decrease picture quality and kill viewing angles. I guess you could try to make the damage localized, such that it would only kill part of the screen. But that would require a major increase in cost for an incredibly limited use case as most people don't puncture their tvs. And even if they did, who'd want to use a TV where a part of the screen isn't working?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't some wild new problem. I accidentally killed an LCD monitor with a tiny hole 15 years ago

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The Nerd Crew selling out again with this viral marketing for Stray.

The anti-RLM crew came in HOT to this thread lmao.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a design flaw, there's a hole bitten in it.

My cats have been taught the one place they never go is near the TV and shit like this is why.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Invasive species killing TV's, birbs and other wildlife.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that the highly sexist Red Letter Media has no idea how tvs work

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
People don't seem to understand tech can be fragile. Putting a hole in the screen will kill your tv, doesn't matter what size the hole is.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should change their business from Lightning Fast VCR Repair to Lightning Fast TV Cat Bite Repair.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I mean, half the TVs nowadays just die from broken software updates (just lost a Hisense 500$ tv to this...) so expecting any of them to be half durable is an error. Embrace the pain.

Dec 19, 2021
Also, this is why if you have pets and/pr kids those $200 "accidental damage protection" plans that are usually a waste are totally worth it for expensive electronics.