• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should 200CC be the new default?

• Yes, Speed!! 🙌🏾

Votes: 91 12.2%
  • Lol, no 🥵

Votes: 653 87.8%

• Total voters

Zalera

Mar 26, 2021
Hell no. I love playing MK8 with my niece but we can barely beat the AI on 200cc lol. 150 is the sweet spot for me.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
did you have to unlock it? i forget

all the options should be available from the start, that's all, really.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as there's a higher speed that "breaks" the game, I'm fine with the courses being adapted for 200CC. What makes 200CC so nice is that it feels risky to play and you need to break.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I wouldn't mind a 200cc DLC pack, so better players could get the pack and play tracks specifically made for 200cc.

For me though it's clear the regular tracks aren't designed for it, ultimately or should be kept/left as a kind of 'wacky' extra mode.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
As long as there's a higher speed that "breaks" the game, I'm fine with the courses being adapted for 200CC. What makes 200CC so nice is that it feels risky to play and you need to break.

Holy cow, yes! Ribbon Road is so smooth to play and 200CC on. Mastering all Those curves and feels awesome as hell. Really all of the DLC tracks feel awesome running on 200CC. Play on a base map and then a DLC one and you'll feel the difference.

Mount Wario could benefit from having all of its different sections extended. It goes way too fast. MK8 Rainbow Road is just wtf, while SNES Rainbow Road feels better.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm making assumptions but I took the OP as meaning "should the game be designed around 200cc?", not "should they get rid of every option other than 200cc", which is an obvious no.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Absolutely not the default, but I do hope it's in there, with modified tracks tweaked with 200cc in mind.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This is a game that kids are supposed to play man. Don't do em like that.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
As a default, no, but it should be in the next game with higher speed classes. The tracks should also be designed/modified for 200cc and above. I need my speed fix.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
150cc is perfect, 200cc is too much.

By all means include it, but as an extra.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm with the people saying all options should be available at the start.

Also, skip 200cc and just go liter karts. For those that miss F-Zero, lol.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
If the tracks were "optimised" for 200cc, wouldn't it just feel like 150cc again? Isn't the reason why 200cc feels fast is because it's fast relative to the track lengths and sharpness of turns? It wouldn't be the same as 150, but it might feel similarly "boring".

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
No, It should not. People should just be able to pick whatever speed they want to play the game at as long as they're fully available from the start without having to unlock them.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
while 200cc seems like a bit much for default, the speeds the game has should be bumped up.

instead of 50, 100, 150 and 200 they should bump them up to like 100, 150, 200 and 250cc.
50cc is really slow and useless. 100cc is slow enough for complete newbies to play well and have a good time. 150cc seems like a good default since it's not too slow or fast and 200cc could be the hard mode like 150cc is currently considered. have 250cc as the new super hard mode for the more hardcore players (200cc starts feeling normal after a while)

Jan 3, 2018
200cc actually seems more like 250cc based on the difference between 100 and 150. I think a real 200 would be a little slower and more manageable than it is now

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I like playing on lower difficulties first and then doing the others, actually. It's why I really disliked MK8's approach to cups, as it basically cut down the game's ammount of content.
I'm fine with 200cc existing, but if Nintendo wanted to do a really fast racing game they could just bring back F-Zero while thinking of a new hook for it.

200cc actually seems more like 250cc based on the difference between 100 and 150. I think a real 200 would be a little slower and more manageable than it is now
Also this. I never bother with 200cc, but something like 175cc could be interesting.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Gonna disagree here. What makes 200cc work as a game mode is that out-of-control feeling, and that is mainly due to the tracks not being designed with the speeds in mind. As such, racing at 200cc speeds is a totally different experience. If all the tracks were designed to accommodate the speeds, it would be far more mundane, and less fun as a result. It would also make the other speed classes boring as heck. It's kind of like Monaco in Formula One: the challenge of navigating a 1200BHP behemoth through impossibly narrow streets is the point.

Oct 30, 2017
high-level mario kart should be about perfect drifting, not braking. 200cc is fun as a broken extra but i think you'd really be limiting the track design possibilities if that was the default speed.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
DEFAULT? no

UNLOCKABLE? yes

200cc is special because you start at such a "slow" speed of 50cc.
I remember how all the kids were asking for a 200cc in 1993. lol

We really wanted a "ludicrous speed" for a Kart racer.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Gonna disagree here. What makes 200cc work as a game mode is that out-of-control feeling, and that is mainly due to the tracks not being designed with the speeds in mind. As such, racing at 200cc speeds is a totally different experience. If all the tracks were designed to accommodate the speeds, it would be far more mundane, and less fun as a result. It would also make the other speed classes boring as heck. It's kind of like Monaco in Formula One: the challenge of navigating a 1200BHP behemoth through impossibly narrow streets is the point.
This is where I'm at. I prefer 200cc over 150cc and that's how I primarily choose to race. But if you design the courses with 200cc in mind, then a lot of the appeal of the difficulty goes away imo. Mastering the chaos is where the fun is at.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely don't think it should be the default. It's a lot more demanding than the other speed tiers.

It should definitely stick around, though.

I think 50cc can go. I don't see any need for a speed tier that slow now, considering MK8's accessibility features. 100cc, 150cc, and 200cc seem like a perfect set to me. 100cc being basically easy mode or a mode where items can take center-stage, 150cc being a traditionally drift-centric mode where braking isn't necessarily a required skill, and 200cc being a mode for experienced players who want a challenge

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I love 200cc but no, it requires liberal brake use outside of Time Trials so it plays a lot differently than what most people expect from Mario Kart.

Also courses designed for 200cc would be boring AF in lower difficulties. You can already do all the tracks very consistently in 200cc anyways, just need to know what you're doing lol

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MK8/MK8D actually do this! It's a godsend because I would not complete al those cups on 50CC/100CC. For some odd reason, though, Nintendo doesn't count 200CC. Only up to 150CC retroactively completes.
Nintendo and "weird reasons"? I don't believe it :D

it's not a weird reason though. 200cc is not what the game is balanced for, it was a DLC mode. it was sorta like a new game plus.

to echo the above, i love 200cc too, but the game clearly needs to "revolve" around 150cc being the norm. if you balance any new tracks to that kinda speed you would have to stretch everything out which goes against the best part of mario kart: tight, fun track design.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
online 200cc is such a clusterfuck i love it. it needs to be ridiculous, it's part of the appeal. but it should not be the norm.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why does it suck? it just adds a braking mechanic and requires faster reaction speed to anticipate drifts.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is everyone on this message board so terrified of racing against me in mario kart 8?