• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
The Stanley Parable probably. Took about 40 minutes, but with some of the other endings i guess it was about an hour and thirty.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thirty Flights Of Loving
Takes like 20 minutes to complete with zero replay value.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1 on XBLA. The game ends when the song does, which is about 13 minutes.
About 13:37 :p

Good call, though. I loved this game, but I wasn't thinking about it because I've replayed it so many times. But it was shorter for a single playthrough than Thirty Flights.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
I have a little trophy competition with my best mate. I bought that mayonnaise game for 99p to get the platinum. I did feel a little shame when buying it!

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Steamworld Dig 1 in like 3 hours. And I was so disappointed. The game was fantastic but way too short. Thankfully they fixed that in the amazing sequel.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Probably something from Tale of Tales when they still did video games. The Graveyard would be my guess, assuming I paid for it or it was free at one point.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Limbo.

Sad thing is, I spent the same amount of money on Monday Night Combat in the same XBL Summer of Arcade and got a thousand hours of play out of that. I felt pretty burned by Limbo, really.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Limbo.

Sad thing is, I spent the same amount of money on Monday Night Combat in the same XBL Summer of Arcade and got a thousand hours of play out of that. I felt pretty burned by Limbo, really.
Lots of people get hours of gameplay from Solitaire and Minesweeper. I think putting a hourly dollar value on games is a tricky business.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
I got a visual novel on Steam called "Its your last chance in new school" that took about 20 minutes from launch to end. I did buy it out of curiosity about how much of a turd it was, but I didn't even get much turd. Valve delisted it not long after.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Chuchel and donut county. Bought both because they looked like good kids games (and they are) and both times my son was suprised at how short they were. Chucel was the most suprising to us since it felt like it was over in a blink with only a couple levels that took more than a few minutes to compete. I probably should have waited for the ios version on that one.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1 - City of the Lost Children.

Took me a couple hours to finish but could actually be done in about 15 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Slug 7 probably. I think I beat it in 45 minutes or so. I wasn't expecting an NES length game on the DS. It was a full priced $40 too.
I had plenty of games of that length on the NES as a kid, but I didn't pay for them.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
One of my biggest gaming disappointments was getting Fable 1 for the Xbox in High School and then beating it in like 10-11 hours, and that included quite a bit of side content.

Now that I'm older and $50 isn't a massive risk anymore, I do enjoy some short games from time to time.
*VVVVVV was one of the best short games I've played in the last several years.
*Portal was amazing too, but also was included with the Orange Box so had a lot of other stuff to play.

And there's probably a lot of indie games I'm forgetting that we're fairly short but I still enjoyed.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1 on XBLA. The game ends when the song does, which is about 13 minutes.

As for a physical game, if you count a single skater's career as finishing it, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1.

I also got Worms on Xbox 360 for free with a memory card.

This and Journey are both things I played in a single sitting.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VSR: Void Space Racing on Switch.

I think I beat it in about 35 minutes. I didn't regret it at 99 cents because it's good, but I feel for those who bought it at $9.99. There's such a thing as too short in gaming in my opinion. It lasted longer than it takes me to eat a Snickers but you end up wondering what the point of it was because it feels like a generous demo more than a game.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Thirty Flights of Loving for me too. Great game, short as all hell. Gravity Bone is even shorter, but that's a free download so it doesn't count here. (But I'd happily have paid $1 for it.)

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Three Fourths Home on Xbox One. Took maybe 45 minutes and I enjoyed my time with it.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people get hours of gameplay from Solitaire and Minesweeper. I think putting a hourly dollar value on games is a tricky business.

Not an unpopular argument, sure, but I paid the same amount of money from the same promotion on the same platform in the same timeframe, so it made not comparing the two virtually impossible for me, and Limbo came up greatly lacking in that comparison.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I beat Superhot VR in an hour on the first playthrough and it's still one of my favorite games of all time. Length =/= quality.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
Journey for sure. I think it was $20 at launch on PS3...?

Played once. No regrets. Top-tier game from last generation.

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trine 3, I thought that game was still in early access and that they would add more contents, but nope, they never did.