• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What a shot by that security guard, under a lot of pressure and at distance.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Guard is a hero. Shame a church of all places needs that but glad he was there. This could have been so much worse.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
My church is thinking of it and has already kinda implanted it silently. We have off duty cops that attend so they now go in carrying.

We had a guy come in a couple months ago talking about guns and shit. White guy. Being in South Carolina and less than two hours away from Charleston, it freaked everyone out.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Good shot by the guard. All the people running up with guns at the end was stupid though. The crack shot guard could have mistaken them for another shooter. RIP to the two victims and condolences to their families.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is not the security guy at the church, the problem is that churches need a security guard to begin with. I don't get America's infatuation with guns, and nothing will change of course. I feel like shit that I don't feel anything anymore whenever there is a new shooting, it's become normalized.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
The phrase "good guy with a gun" comes from the pro-gun argument that more guns in the hands of regular civilians makes us more safe.

This was a security guard. No one argues security guards shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.
That is patently false. Wayne LaPierre and others, like Trump, refer to security guards and armed teachers as good guys with guns.

"That idea of armed guards, or armed teachers, as a solution to gun violence often seems to come up in the wake of mass shootings, echoing National Rifle Association chief Wayne LaPierre's long-touted notion that "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun."

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is patently false. Wayne LaPierre and others, like Trump, refer to security guards and armed teachers as good guys with guns.

"That idea of armed guards, or armed teachers, as a solution to gun violence often seems to come up in the wake of mass shootings, echoing National Rifle Association chief Wayne LaPierre's long-touted notion that "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun."

I'm not too sure I understand what you're taking issue with here. And why are we lumping security guards with teachers? My point is just that "good guy with a gun" is like "thoughts and prayers." It's a phrase that seems innocent enough but took on a new meaning.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I'm not too sure I understand what you're taking issue with here. And why are we lumping security guards with teachers? My point is just that "good guy with a gun" is like "thoughts and prayers." It's a phrase that seems innocent enough but took on a new meaning.
Someone earlier said "good guy with a gun doesn't apply here". It does though. To gun nuts, anyone with a gun is a good guy because all they really want is the proliferation of firearms. It's fucked up.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow @ that security guard. That guy was straight on it. It's like he's been in this situation a million times. That's a real hero. God I'm so tired of gun loving douche bags. Ban this shit already.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Inflammatory community generalizations. Long history of infractions for attacking and generalizing the community.
There is so much good in the world. It seems unfair to write off the entire species

Many users here would like to see every person on earth, including babies and children, killed and removed from the world. Some very sick people on this site unfortunately.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Good guy with a gun here was just a security guard doing his job. Yes people will milk it, but that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to be thankful somebody was able to stop the shooter from killing more people. You can support gun control and be thankful lives were saved with one in this case.
True. Can't deny that. Even still, the damage was done.
The bad guy with a gun had access to firearms when he shouldn't have.

I'm on the stance that, if we have very strict license laws like in Switzerland, then that's enough. Too bad the NRA would rather sell more firearms to terrorists and psychopaths.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on the security guard for keeping his cool. The civilians with guns could have reflexively been mistaken for other shooters.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I still remember how shocking it was when we all heard about Columbine. The entire country was in shock for months after it happened. It seemed like one of those things that just happened one day and we couldn't believe it.

Now I just see public shootings while scrolling through Twitter and I don't even think twice about it. It's just so commonplace these days that I hardly feel anything when it happens. It's just another day in America at this point.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to wiki, the current Mayor's last name happens to be White also. White Settlement is a funny name though.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine seeing it on a sign and screeching to a halt and reversing to a junction lol. Fucking hell, was about to wiki it though cause hmm
Yeah being black i would have noped and went detoured around lol.

I just imagine kkk hoods being sold at the local gas station.

Good to know it has another meaning though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the victims. And good on the security for neutralizing as quick as he did...but the fact you need an armed security guard at a place of worship and you have Twitter replies arguing for pro guns just makes me hate this counties stance on firearms even more! As a kid who grew up in a religious family I would've never believed you if you told me guards at churches would become a "thing".

More shootings happening? I know, hire more guards with MORE guns. Fuck this country.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's being paraded around social media as a huge win for the progun folks. Really could have gone in a totally different direction if the shooter wasn't a complete moron. You have an armed and uniformed security guard standing 10 feet away, and you stand up and start shooting right in front of him. What if the shooter wasn't a complete idiot and had shot the guard first? This whole scenario would have been a blood bath. This could have gone far far worse. But now it's just turning into propaganda

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit that video is horrific. That girl screaming for her 'daddy' makes me want to tear up.
The security guard must have been ready to go and eyeing that dude because his response was fast as hell. Would have been an absolute blood bath without him.

And of course insane that republicans spun this into a win for gun possession. Is that what you fuckers want? Every day of your life, walking around like the Wild West ready to get shot in the face and die, when all you want to do is go to church with your family or walk into a Walmart, etc.?

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It's being paraded around social media as a huge win for the progun folks. Really could have gone in a totally different direction if the shooter wasn't a complete moron. You have an armed and uniformed security guard standing 10 feet away, and you stand up and start shooting right in front of him. What if the shooter wasn't a complete idiot and had shot the guard first? This whole scenario would have been a blood bath. This could have gone far far worse. But now it's just turning into propaganda
What if the security guard looked behind him in the heat of the moment and shot one of the armed by-standards approaching with a gun?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It hurts my soul that "Only 2 dead and 1 seriously injured victim" is considered a rousing success for the "good guy with a gun" model.

And the "good guy" was a professional!

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

another way to spin it is that the guard (or the "guy with a gun") failed to save two lives.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I recall that during one pro-gun group's totally unbiased and perfectly scientific experiments on how good guys with guns would always save the day, the people posing as the shooters were, in fact, not total idiots, and pretty much always shot the good guy with the gun first. The only way the good guy with the gun survived in the face of non-idiots was by not drawing his gun and slinking away while others were getting shot.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder when they'll reveal anything about the shooter, he seemed kind of dumb and yoloish during the attack. At least his stupidity was a factor that led to less casualties, insanely sad that I even have to say that.