• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Buddy Matthews out here trying to set the landspeed record for becoming an undesirable piece of shit after leaving WWE. Decided to compare sitting in catering to slavery. He got called on it and now here is his half-baked non-apology.

To be fair, here's what he posted:

f690a-16304256162145-800.jpg

That's also like the first search result for "freedom," feels to me a bit far-fetched to claim that he was in any way trying to equate his predicament to slavery.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be fair, here's what he posted:

f690a-16304256162145-800.jpg

That's also like the first search result for "freedom," feels to me a bit far-fetched to claim that he was in any way trying to equate his predicament to slavery.
Yeah that's where I'm at too and I'm usually willing to get the pitchforks out in situations like this lol.

It's clearly just tied with the prisoner angle he has been pushing with the vignettes recently. If people have been fine with them, I don't see why it's any different to this.

Last edited:

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's where I'm at to and I'm usually willing to get the pitchforks out in situations like this lol.

It's clearly just tied with the prisoner angle he has been pushing with the vignettes recently. If people have been fine with them, I don't see why it's any different to this.

My favorite comment about the picture was that it very clearly shows him being in a field

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Yeah I have to agree on that.

Just ban anything referencing imprisonment or pics in handcuffs at that point.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Its virtually the same fucking show every week. Hell its basically the same fucking house show I was dragged to about 2 weeks ago
This is EXACTLY the issue.. it's the same show week after week. The same people in the same matches.. week after week.

What's the point of having two wrestlers in a PPV match when they wrestled each other the previous 5 freaking weeks?!? The whole point is to keep them AWAY from each other until they HAVE to have the match for a resolution. Then move on to the next feud.

This stuff isn't hard. You have a TON of people under contract (even after cutting about 100 people), make some new stars. Put some underused people on the damn shows.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Saw last night the Charlotte and Nia thing, yeah I though that it may have been a work with the referee giving instructions but nah, it looks like Charlotte was frustrated at Nia and tried to "wake her up" and Nia didn't like that one bit and it escalated from that.

Still, that finishing move looked very devastating in the end lmao

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Buddy actually responding the way he did tells a lot about his character though. Not Very carny at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah I'll eat a little crow here. The image is a bad look but I think he deserves the benefit of a doubt on it. Seeing the apology first it was easy to hone in on the possibility he was downplaying concerns but it seems pretty believable he was just leaning on his dumb prison allegory and not actually shooting for an egregious comparison to slavery.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Buddy Matthews out here trying to set the landspeed record for becoming an undesirable piece of shit after leaving WWE. Decided to compare sitting in catering to slavery. He got called on it and now here is his half-baked non-apology.

Did you actually see his original tweet? Looks to me like he's comparing it to being in prison which goes with his recent promos. "undesirable piece of shit" seems like a massive reach.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
It sounds like an honest mistake to me

Totally tone deaf and thoughtless, but his apology seems sincere and, as far as I know, he doesn't have any kind of history that would make me think otherwise

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of undesirable piece of shit wrestlers but usually dig deeper when called out. I hope it is a real apology and it doesn't happen again.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

makes sense, they don't need to worry about a takeover that weekend anymore

also effectively kills "wrestlemania weekend" as a thing for indies, since wwe will probably do smackdown on friday as well. I hope everyone just piggy backs on All Out weekend or Double or Nothing weekend going forward.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
This is EXACTLY the issue.. it's the same show week after week. The same people in the same matches.. week after week.

What's the point of having two wrestlers in a PPV match when they wrestled each other the previous 5 freaking weeks?!? The whole point is to keep them AWAY from each other until they HAVE to have the match for a resolution. Then move on to the next feud.

This stuff isn't hard. You have a TON of people under contract (even after cutting about 100 people), make some new stars. Put some underused people on the damn shows.

Agreed 1000% I just think its hilariously sad that Vince decides to get pissed now about the script when its been the same shit for a long time. I also wont be surprised when someone like Drew, Sheamus or even Priest get hurt because because they're not getting a break not even at house shows. Its insane how insulting it feels that they expect me to continuously watch this shit. Then you expect me to buy a PPV fuck that.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Agreed 1000% I just think its hilariously sad that Vince decides to get pissed now about the script when its been the same shit for a long time. I also wont be surprised when someone like Drew, Sheamus or even Priest get hurt because because they're not getting a break not even at house shows. Its insane how insulting it feels that they expect me to continuously watch this shit. Then you expect me to buy a PPV fuck that.
They (WWE) cant grasp why AEW gets praised and selling tickets at an insane level...

THEY PRESENT SOMETHING THAT ISNT A CONSTANT REPEAT. You will regularly see talents rotated in and out. You will see new faces and different match ups. You wont see the same people in the main event scene over and over again.

The titles feel important. Right now, the TNT Title and Miro is compelling as hell. He's being built up to be unstoppable and whoever beats him will get a rocket strapped to his back.
The world title being on Kenny feels like a big deal. He's a smarmy heel that you will pay to see get beat.
Womens title being on Britt is perfect. She's the right person for that to be on.. finally.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017

also effectively kills "wrestlemania weekend" as a thing for indies, since wwe will probably do smackdown on friday as well. I hope everyone just piggy backs on All Out weekend or Double or Nothing weekend going forward.
So does each brand get a mania night or something?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Tony Khan is Vince Sr. come back to haunt his son? @_@ This needs to be a Lapsed Fan skit. At least having Vince learning about Khan saying this stuff.

-----
Appearing on Tuesday Wrestling Tuesday with Jonathan Hood, Khan explained his thought process when it comes to collaborating with other promotions.

"Vince Sr was really cooperative. He booked Andre (The Giant) out all over the country. He would work for AWA and would go to Mid South and work in Houston. Wrestling was much more collaborative before the mid-80s and it was actually one person that made the business less collaborative. I'm trying to bring some of that spirit back. When Vince Sr was running the New York territory, it was a much more collaborative thing," said Khan.

He continued by saying, "IMPACT, AAA, and certainly New Japan, I've done a lot of stuff with. It has to make sense for AEW and we've seen wrestlers from AEW go and capture championships in different promotions around the world. A lot of AEW wrestlers still hold championships in various promotions around the world and it's good for those promotions to have such strong recognizable champions who have a great TV platform to wear their titles and it's good for us because it shows that we're the top company in wrestling, frankly, and a lot of companies out there have had our wrestlers come in and do really well. I'm very open to it and it shows good bonds between the companies and allows us access to good wrestlers. We have one of the best rosters, but it's always good to have fresh and different talent. It's why I like working with other companies. Also, New Japan has had big shows and have great talent specifically. I've done a lot of things with them. The main focus is on AEW and our shows. We have such a big roster and so much bandwidth that it allows us to expand, partner, and help other wrestling companies."

Source: Fightful

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Unless they're also holding Smackdown in the stadium, there'll probably be a shitload of people there who won't be able to attend it, so the indies can capture those folks. Plus they can probably still draw an audience of hardcores during the the morning & late night hours.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Unless they're also holding Smackdown in the stadium, there'll probably be a shitload of people there who won't be able to attend it, so the indies can capture those folks. Plus they can probably still draw an audience of hardcores during the the morning & late night hours.

Waiting for 'Jimmy Lloyd's Monday Hangover' to be announced by Brett, etc. There are certainly big enough indies with enough money that they can put together cards for the day after so people hold their flights for a day.

Other thoughts on this; if the lengths of the individual days balloon in an effort to squeeze out indies and other promotions it will kill the good will the two-day show generated. People like two days because they aren't in a seat for 8+ hours. Also, I can't help but wonder if part of the reason they haven't gone all in on Allegiant Stadium yet is they want to see if they can burn promotions that run in the same city by getting them to commit to a venue/dates and then WWE is all "surprise, that isn't actually where we are running." Lastly, I wonder if an increased Wrestlemania making it less attractive to run the same weekend to get large crowd/PPV buys means Spring Break would move to Double or Nothing Weekend? GCW already anchors their "Cups Stuffed" event around an AEW event and their programming is significantly expanded for this year over 2019. I could see Spring Break moving.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Waiting for 'Jimmy Lloyd's Monday Hangover' to be announced by Brett, etc. There are certainly big enough indies with enough money that they can put together cards for the day after so people hold their flights for a day.

Other thoughts on this; if the lengths of the individual days balloon in an effort to squeeze out indies and other promotions it will kill the good will the two-day show generated. People like two days because they aren't in a seat for 8+ hours. Also, I can't help but wonder if part of the reason they haven't gone all in on Allegiant Stadium yet is they want to see if they can burn promotions that run in the same city by getting them to commit to a venue/dates and then WWE is all "surprise, that isn't actually where we are running." Lastly, I wonder if an increased Wrestlemania making it less attractive to run the same weekend to get large crowd/PPV buys means Spring Break would move to Double or Nothing Weekend? GCW already anchors their "Cups Stuffed" event around an AEW event and their programming is significantly expanded for this year over 2019. I could see Spring Break moving.

The indie shows booking around an AEW event, likely Double or Nothing, would feel appropriate given where the industry seems to be headed.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
We went from everyone looking forward to HHH taking over for Vince when he dies, to HHH losing control of NXT.