• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Who made me the boss of digital art threads here? I guess I just ganked the job, but nevertheless, this thread might prove helpful for many.

BEST ART COMPUTER/TABLET THINGY UNDER $400

iPad 32GB (2018)
This might be technically a bit over $400 with purchase of Apple Pencil gen 1, but it's close enough in my book since you can still find the 32GB iPad for less than the $330 listed price from Apple on Amazon. The $100 Apple Pencil of course is totally necessary so I don't even consider it an accessory. Yes, you will look goofy as F charging it but when you are done charging that Pencil, you just load up Clip Studio Paint Pro ($5 per month) and you are fucking jamming out sketches and paintings on the go. Don't let them fancy kids with iPad Pros make fun of ya for the unlaminated screen nor the 60Hz refresh of the screen. Threaten to bend their pansy ass tablets and they will scurry off clutching their fragile and expensive gear very very gently.

GUEST_9455566e-e44d-4887-adb1-d90fced97166

BEST ART COMPUTER/TABLET THINGY $400~$799

Lenovo Yoga 730 13.3"
Yeah, this is also listed over $800 at Lenovo's site but Best Buy constantly seems to sell it under $800 so it wins. No, it doesn't have 90+% Adobe RGB screen, nor super super retina action but it does rock Wacom AES 2.0 digitizer on that 1080p screen which is perfectly fine for the size. For me it's all about the pen action, and the fact that this thing at that price rocks AES 2.0 digitizer and gives you quad for i5, 8GB of RAM and 256GB NVMe SSD makes it a fucking great deal IMO. You do need to purchase that AES 2.0 pen with second coil for tilt separately but Lenovo only charges $60 so buy 2 if you want! But one will be fine though. Don't cheap out and get the older Pen Pro for $33. They work fine but no tilt action...

BEST ART COMPUTER/TABLET THINGY $800~$1399

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15.6"
I wish Samsung wasn't so fucking Samsung and made this thing less expensive and more upgradable. I wish they weren't so damn cheap and paid Wacom to make the Feel driver available for it. But nevertheless, it is the only Wacom EMR device under $2500 with this size screen. And even without Feel driver, the EMR feel is still great. It would be absolute DREAM with the driver, but again, Samsung will Samsung. But you do get a huge EMR able screen with quad core i7, 16GB of RAM, 256 NVMe SSD and discrete AMD GPU so it not nothing you know? But it could be perfection with that Feel driver...

BEST ART COMPUTER/TABLET THINGY $1400~$1999

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen
This is a Surface Pro clone that is in many ways better than Surface Pro, especially for art, with superior Wacom AES 2.0 digitizer over MPP 1.8 of SP6. You get bigger screen too at 13", but it's 3:2 like Surface Pro (3000x2000 IPS). Unlike Surface Pro, the pen and the detachable KB is in the box. Unfortunately the included pen might be one without the second coil for tilt, but you can buy that one separately for $60. Specced out for around $1800 gets you quad core i7, 16GB of RAM and 256GB NVMe SSD. And unlike the Surface Pro, you can easily get in the back and replace that SSD later! And did I mention them Thunderbolt USB-C ports? Nice...

BEST ART COMPUTER/TABLET THINGY $2001~$3000

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme / P1
This is my favorite art thingy of 2018. It's got 15.6" 4K high gamut IPS screen with Wacom AES 2.0, Hexacore i7 (or optional Xeons for P1), 2 SoDIMM slots (64GB max), 2 NVMe slots (!!), GTX 1050Ti with 4GB of DDR5 (or optional Quadros for P1), all for starting price under 2K! Add the AES 2.0 tilt pen for $60 you have the best pen based mobile workstation PERIOD. No, it doesn't yoga, but the screen does lie flat so whatever. You simply can't compete with this thing in pen land, nor even 4lbs or less laptop land. This thing destroys Macbook Pro, even before you bring the pen and the value into the equation. LONG LIVE THE KING! (until next year at least)

X1 Extreme link
Thinkpad P1 link

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Thanks Shog, got my Lenovo Thinkpad fixed and have been rocking it since the GAF days. All it needed was some new hinges, the bodies a bit damaged, but who the fuck cares when it can still function and the screen is just fine for art?

Won't need to upgrade anytime soon, but I will probably cop an iPad soon. Very refreshing to know that it can do what the Pro sorta does for less. I just can't get over those prices for the Pro, especially knowing it runs the same exact version of iOS as the base iPads. Clip Studio Paint is heavenly, and as someone who prefers Android, their tablet game is trash.

Shame that the Thinkpad Extreme X1 doesn't Yoga. I have become too spoiled by the convenience and that too me is king. Might consider the Lenovo Surface clone in that case then, mostly for the portability. Looking for a new pen too.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Good initiative, thinks thread deserves some more views!

The Yoga is interesting but I wish I could find it at those prices here in Euroland. :V I was looking at 2-in-1s for a while but haven't followed them much since 8th gen Core came out.

You mention the Pencil 1, any good reason to spend the extra for 2nd gen? It's almost 40% more, wtf Apple. I do appreciate that the new Ipad costs a bit less than the previous one though, whatever corners they cut for that to happen.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Good initiative, thinks thread deserves some more views!

The Yoga is interesting but I wish I could find it at those prices here in Euroland. :V I was looking at 2-in-1s for a while but haven't followed them much since 8th gen Core came out.

You mention the Pencil 1, any good reason to spend the extra for 2nd gen? It's almost 40% more, wtf Apple. I do appreciate that the new Ipad costs a bit less than the previous one though, whatever corners they cut for that to happen.
Unfortunately gen 2 pen is not backwards compatible with gen 1 devices.

Gen 1 pens other than awkward charging works perfectly fine. Both gen 1 and gen 2 have trapped batterues so they wont last forever anyways. By the time you need a new Pencil, you'll also be probably moving on to a new iPad due to dying battery anyways.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I recently got an X1 Extreme with the 4K display and had no idea the pen was only $60, let alone initially think about using it for drawing... I'll just grab that now and give my old pencil to my fiancée since I just got her a 2018 iPad for Christmas. Good looking out!

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I recently got an X1 Extreme with the 4K display and had no idea the pen was only $60, let alone initially think about using it for drawing... I'll just grab that now and give my old pencil to my fiancée since I just got her a 2018 iPad for Christmas. Good looking out!
So jelly right now...

Don't forget to install the Wacom driver from the Lenovo's support site. Makes a big difference vs native MS driver in Windows.