• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoes on or off at your Thanksgiving gathering?

• On

Votes: 71 19.7%
  • Off

Votes: 252 69.8%
  • Shoe on head

Votes: 38 10.5%

• Total voters

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Lol shoes off in the house always. But Americans be weird about this.

Try that shit in a Canadian or Asian house and see what happens

Oct 28, 2017
California
Wut? Do yall put your feet on the table or something? How would you even know, for it to seem weird?

Alright, does everyone have their shoes on?! Lets eat!

Because even though your're with family it's sort of a formal dinner/event. When you go to a house party or host one do you also take your shoes off?

And I said ti seems weird to me, not that it's objectively weird.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Lol shoes off in the house always. But Americans be weird about this.

Try that shit in a Canadian or Asian house and see what happens

As someone who lived in Korea for 4 years, I don't think this is really a good excuse. The average American isn't eating on the floor (or close to the floor), whereas in Asia that's extremely common. The excuse I was always given was that they don't want dirt to be tracked into the area they'll be eating in/around, which, fine, that's a good reason. Most Americans aren't going to be walking on their tables though.

And my relatives in Ontario wear shoes in the house because their feet get cold, so not quite sure what you're trying to say by acting like all Canadians are a monolith. 🤷‍♂️

Shoes on carpet is rude and I would slap you.

Outside of bedrooms, carpet seems to be less popular than ever though. It seems like everyone is transitioning to tile, wood, or laminate flooring because they're easier to keep clean and look better for long periods of time. When I was looking at apartments a few months ago I don't think I saw any apartment that had carpet in the main living area because upkeep costs are cheaper for alternatives than carpet.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take my shoes off in the house but I don't ask and don't care if guests don't.

people who freak out about dirt and germs and invoke feces at the mere thought of shoes on in the house are probably living a slightly more stressful life than me but I can't say I don't understand.

and I could see a great argument for a strict rule if you have a baby or toddler- and if your house is carpeted.

but as a host I wouldn't dream of either inconveniencing or embarrassing my guests by suggesting they're tracking filth into my house.

I encourage everyone to do whatever is most comfortable and when I'm a guest at someone's home I take my cues from them - if they're shoes off - so am I- - it could inversely be insulting to remove my shoes if they don't because I'd be making a personal statement about their hygiene and manners.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Americans leaving shoes on in the house is the most bizarre fucking thing. I always thought it happened on sitcoms just as a laziness thing cuz they're actors. I had no idea it was an actual thing people did, my mind was blown.

OP
OP
Citizencope

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I want to party with 47 of you on my wall to wall carpet. Life is too short to worry about germs. Party!!!!!

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where I went nobody removed them, but there's basically 30 people in a 3K square foot house milling around, cooking and hanging out outside on the back deck, bar set up in the garage with the football game on, etc. Everyone is dressed a little nicer than usual and your shoes are part of your outfit. Going inside and out constantly and removing and putting on your shoes just isn't feasible.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Taking shoes off at the door seems odd to me. None of my family practice it and no one I know practice it.

Never take my shoes off as I am in and out of the house all the time. Its too much of a paon to take them off and put them on again.

The hierarchy of potential household bacteria transfer shoes is low on the list.

What? Do you have shoes while you sleep?

Oct 27, 2017
but as a host I wouldn't dream of either inconveniencing or embarrassing my guests by suggesting they're tracking filth into my house.

This is the craziest shit I've read in this thread. It's embarrassing to ask someone to take their shoes off walking around inside YOUR house!? That's so, so strange.

American culture is fucking bizarre.

Even at raging house parties in ski bum towns everyone takes their shoes off. It's a giant disgusting wet mess in the front hallway and everyone's socks are soaked but but still. I'd side eye the shit out of someone walking around my apartment with their shoes on.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Never heard of taking your shoes off.

Me neither. I'm 30 and I can barely count the times I've been asked to remove my shoes when going into someone's house in my entire life, but can comfortably say it was less than maybe 5 times and we went to people's houses for parties and celebrations all the fucking time growing up(Hispanic, we look for ANY excuse to throw a party). I've always found it to be a strange cultural thing, but I usually go along with it.

And no, people don't fucking walk in tracking in all of the mud, dirt, and snow, people fucking clean their shoes at the entrance. Believe it or not, you can buy crpers for that shit.

Last edited:

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
What in the world? You washing sidewalks with your sponges?

I can't with this thread.

Unless you using a new sponge every hour or batch of plates, the average sponge collects more bacteria than anything else you will touch in your entire life.

It's been fairly common knowledge for YEARS now.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I keep hearing that shoes on in house is an American thing yet this is perfectly normal where I live in Europe. I'm wearing my shoes right now while on my PC, ready to head outside in half an hour.

Ofc if you'll not be spending a large amount of time indoors you'll take your shoes off and put on some slippers, but for an hour or two, who gives a shit.

In the household I grew up in, shoes in bedrooms were a no-no, but anywhere else it was fair game.
I completely agree. I've never heard of shoes off unless you're spending time lounging around your OWN house. I've certainly never heard of shoes off at parties, family gatherings or other formal ocassions and have never seen it happen. Like ever.

If some somebody went for a run or a walk in bad weather, then it would be normal to take shoes off. But someone who's going from a car to a university lecture hall and then back to their house and then to Starbucks and then home and then shopping, etc.? I don't see why someone would take their shoes off unless they're walking in their OWN house and on carpet.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the craziest shit I've read in this thread. It's embarrassing to ask someone to take their shoes off walking around inside YOUR house!? That's so, so strange.

American culture is fucking bizarre.

Even at raging house parties in ski bum towns everyone takes their shoes off. It's a giant disgusting wet mess in the front hallway and everyone's socks are soaked but but still. I'd side eye the shit out of someone walking around my apartment with their shoes on.

lol I didn't get that from America. On the contrary America is more shoes takey offy than the old country.