• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't really think of one for myself but I did want to create a thread about this topic based off a conversation I heard on the radio the other day. People were calling in sharing things they found out about their parents despite never knowing them their entire lives. Some were funny, some were sad, some were very serious.

Do any of you fit the bill?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My grandfather was a pussy hound that cheated on my grandmother with dozens and dozens of women over the course of their marriage of over 50 years, right up until he died at age 85. No one knew, not even grandma.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I was an adult when I learned my parents had lost a child before I was born. I don't know why, but it was a very weird feeling.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I found out my mom was adopted by her dad when I was about 30. She never knew her biological father. It came up because of a family health history questionnaire.

She reached out to his family a few years ago and they basically told her to fuck off

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Well, my dad at age 70 found out that he had a brother he never knew about. Grandma kept it secret for all her life.

Dad grew up as an only child. He only knew about the brother when the brother passed and the family reached out.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
My mom didn't know she was adopted until she was in her mid-50s.

My grandpa still doesn't know that his real dad wasn't his dad, his real dad was apparently the milkman. My parents found this out recently because they're big on those DNA testing sites. They don't want to tell him because they think it'd do more harm than good at this point.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Shortly after my great grandmother passed away my dad revealed to me that she strong hatred of white people and couldn't stand being around them for what they did to her and her family when she was younger(We're black). I never knew this because because she never expressed any such sentiment in the entire time I knew her.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
my dads dad was kicked out of the family by his siblings because he was a piece of shit who tried cheating on my grandma with her sister.
i just thought he was dead all my life until one day we got told that my dads dad had died by someone in the family. they said "el perro ya se murio" the dog finally died.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned recently that my Conservative parents who "had nothing and earned it all from hard work" when they were my age got a large inheritance from my mom's side and an interest free mortgage from my grandpas side.

Makes sense why we were able to live in such a nice community and my mom Never had to work (despite always been too broke to participate in things like pizza day at school)

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My dad was always a European history buff, and was studying to be a history teacher (never finished). I learned that he had amassed a large collection of Nazi items (Hitler Youth knives, fully disassembled MG-42 my grandpa smuggled back from WWII, and original Ruger pistols).

Not sure what the hell i do with the MG42 after my parents pass.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
About a week before my (paternal) grandpa passed away, and the last time I saw him alive, he was in the hospital and talking to my dad. He shared with us a story that explained his aversion to traveling and that he almost married another woman.

He was actually engaged prior to being mobilized in the Red Ball Express during WW2.
When he got to France and arrived at the Siene river, he told us about seeing all the bodies on the shore and floating on the water. He said he made a pact before God right then and there, that if he made it home alive, he'd never leave Montgomery, Alabama ever again.
Sure enough, he came home a decorated vet, and when his then fiance wanted to move to Cincinatti during the great migration, he refused to leave Alabama. This basically strained the relationship to the point where they broke the whole thing off.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned recently that my Conservative parents who "had nothing and earned it all from hard work" when they were my age got a large inheritance from my mom's side and an interest free mortgage from my grandpas side.

Makes sense why we were able to live in such a nice community and my mom Never had to work (despite always been too broke to participate in things like pizza day at school)
This revisionist history people spew about themselves and the hard-work they put in to earn their keep is really frustrating. I don't understand why people can't be honest with themselves and especially others about how they got to where they are. Too much pride.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
my dad and his parents moved to Australia, the farm they bought was useless and it failed. this lead to my granddad having a breakdown, getting sectioned and killing himself in the psychiatric hospital.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I was in my mid 30s when my wife got contacted on Facebook by some guy doing genealogy research on his family, and we happened to have the same last name.
I got to talk with my dad about that, and he eventually admitted that his father had a brother with whom he had such a fallout that he swore to never see him again and act like he never existed in the first place.
He made my dad swear to never ever mention him to anyone either.

That's how I found out I had a great Uncle and some distant cousins and probably some extra family on that side I literally know nothing about.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I found out my dad lost a younger (2 yrs old) brother to drowning in a lake when he freaked out and got over-protective over us taking the kids to the pool/beach. It scared him for life.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Damn.

Did he have children with those women?

When your secrets are outed so late in life, there really aren't too many people who care to follow up and find out. I certainly don't. His current girlfriend at the time apparently showed up at the hospital as he was on his death bed and met my grandmother face to face. But grandma was a native Inuit from Alaska and just buried that shit deep. She never said a bad word about him until her final few weeks of life and she opened the whoop ass and dumped all the info she knew in my aunt's lap. From there, information was dished out piece by piece throughout the family over the years.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
My dad was always a European history buff, and was studying to be a history teacher (never finished). I learned that he had amassed a large collection of Nazi items (Hitler Youth knives, fully disassembled MG-42 my grandpa smuggled back from WWII, and original Ruger pistols).

Not sure what the hell i do with the MG42 after my parents pass.

Assemble it, shoot it for fun, then donate it to a museum.

Oct 27, 2017
That's the opposite of pearl-clutching though.

Moving on...

I feel for many of you finding out you have other related-persons out there. One of my friends has spent pretty much his adult life finding out he has more and more relatives every year. Most of that has been for the positive.

So I'll give you a funny one. I found out at the age of forty that my mother had stacked the deck of color cards every time she played the board game Candy Land with her young children. Why? To finish the game as soon as possible.

Yeah. At least the kids got to win the game though.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
My Grandmother on my Mom's side, one of her brothers severed during WWII on the Missouri and was present at the signing of the Japanese surrender. She had, and now my mother has a shoe box full of pictures he personally took of the signing.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My maternal grandfather was a member of the italian mob who ran off to the Americas when the police got too close.
That explains all the weird shit I remember on that house.
I found out until he died.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Moving on...

I feel for many of you finding out you have other related-persons out there. One of my friends has spent pretty much his adult life finding out he has more and more relatives every year. Most of that has been for the positive.

So I'll give you a funny one. I found out at the age of forty that my mother had stacked the deck of color cards every time she played the board game Candy Land with her young children. Why? To finish the game as soon as possible.

Yeah. At least the kids got to win the game though.

I did this at least once. God I hate that game

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I got another, and this just happened over Xmas.

My mother, who is in her late 60's, apparently has a half sister from her father (my OTHER grandpa). This lady contacted her through facebook last year and said "I think I might be your sister". Long story short, they met in person, compared notes, and hell yes they are sisters. The problem there is that both my grandma and grandpa on that side of the family are long dead. The new sister's mother died decades ago as well. They have zero people to confront or ask about the details. They have to piece the history together and take guesses. Oddly, they are very happy to have found one another and have formed a nice friendship in such a short amount of time.

Having these "silent histories" on each side of the family is weird, but these transgressions took place 50+years ago and all the people involved have been dead and buried for ages so the family just kind of shrug and go along with our lives. Honestly, my mom having a half sister really gets to me a bit though because that grandfather was a fucking saint and I cannot wrap my head around the time frame or history of it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother had an identical twin who was alive most of my young life but nobody told me until a few years ago.

She briefly gave my mother up for adoption after WWII when grandpa died and she understandably lost the plot for a little bit, but got her back.

There's more too but those are the more shareable.

Nothing horrifying, but those two are super One Life to Live/General Hospital ones.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I learned my older brother was actually my half-brother when I was 16. Mom didn't like that I and my little brother were yelling at each other because of the final mission in GTA IV and she thought revealing that would be a good way to calm us down. To top it off, my older brother didn't find this out until months after we did.

Also, when I was about 20, I was informed that I had an uncle on my father's side who's a convicted pedophile. My dad suddenly starting buying guns and telling all of my brothers and cousins that if he tried to contact any one of us, to keep him distracted long enough so he could shoot him himself.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't shocking to me when I figured it out, but my aunts are/were lesbians (ones dead, the other one is soon to be, so hence past tense in this post). Growing up in the 80s, 90s, light Catholic household (e.g., "we were Catholic" but not really, my grandmother was fairly devout but nobody else) it's not something you talked about or really thought about, I just thought my aunt Jean lived with her friend Jean (yes they both have the same name), like it was just two friends living together. It wasn't until I was like 13, in the late 90s, that I really thought about it and was like "... wait... are Jean and Jean ... lesbians ........." Mind you this was the 90s when "LESBIANS" to a 13 year old was like a WWF storyline or a subplot in American Pie or a shitty comedy movie.

I remember asking my sister who was probably almost 20 and she, naively, was also like "y'know...... I've never really thought of that.... ... maybe... y'know they've lived together for 30 years and... they own a house in Provincetown, so... maybe?" This is an apocryphal story but my sister has the distinct memory of, as a kid, thinking that our blood-related aunt slept in the bed in the master bedroom,a nd then that her friend Jean slept in a bed in the closet in the master bedroom. And years later, as adults, my sister was wondering aloud why she thought that Auunt Jean slept in the closet, and as my dad tells it, when we were kids my sister asked where Jean's bedroom was and my crass uncle replied "In the closet," and that turned into this thought in my sister's head as a kid that Jean, my aunt's friend, legitimately slept in a bed in the closet.

And then they ended up being among the first gay people in the US to be legally married a few years later, so there's that and that was pretty cool. It is pretty weird to think how quickly that all normalized, given how taboo it was when I was young.

Last edited:

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
A couple "fun" ones.
I learned my dad had four kids from a previous marriage only when one of them managed to track him down. Also the previous marriage was news to me.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
My grandfather was a pussy hound that cheated on my grandmother with dozens and dozens of women over the course of their marriage of over 50 years, right up until he died at age 85. No one knew, not even grandma.

How did you find out?
Was it something like this?

the-current-mrs-eddie-lebeq.jpg

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, reading thru this and i have to say i feel horrible for the folks that grew up not knowing about their half brothers and sisters....
I love all my siblings and it would drive me insane finding out i got a bro or sis out there that i never met.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
My dad's brother was murdered. The guy got away scot free on the gay panic defense, but was arrested decades later when his fingerprints from the scene connected him to the murders of several gay men in the area.

I had heard my grandparents mention my dad's brother a few times by his name but didn't get the full story until my siblings laid it out and told me where to look online for more info. It's kinda surreal watching a true crime doc on someone who killed a relative.

Last edited:

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Figured out a couple years ago my mother has Munchausen's syndrome. My whole childhood I thought she had bouts of cancer. Not sure how she convinced doctors to give her treatment and surgeries. Pretty damn unvelivable.

I'm 33. Feel too old to have issues with my parents. But not going to lie, shit had me pretty twisted. My whole damn childhood was under the shadow of living in fear she would die. I don't blame her for her mental illness either. Guess I turn my feelings towards the medical professionals who enabled the progression of her mental illness.

Oct 27, 2017
fl
my grampa always told me he was a chef/cook in the navy.... swore by it and never let the facade stutter or anything. anywho he ended up getting a burial at arlington cemetery and it seemed odd to me. turns out he was a master chief just too humble to gloat about it. i do love and miss that man

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
A few years ago my Dad told me that he was pretty close to marrying another woman before he met my Mom.

After their breakup, she called him and wanted to get married again but was acting really strange about it. My Dad was weirded out and they never talked again. It turned out that she was going through a severe psychotic episode at the time so who knows what would have happened if he had agreed to see her again.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I laugh about this cause my uncle just passed away and all his kids and mistresses have come out of the woods. We only knew about his 3 girls and 2 sons from a previous relationship, but now there's 4 other ladies and at least 3 other kids.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Grew up with a grandfather that was (reputably) a super strict hard-ass school principal. He went on to work as/for the Superintendent of the district. He was always super strict around me and my sister and mostly stoic.

Found out when I was in my late-20's that he was (I think) a highschool drop out, and spent most of his late-teens and early-20's smoking and drinking and being a pool shark riff-raff type guy. No idea when/how he turned it around but it was shocking to me.

Also found out my dad has mostly been lying to me my whole life (mostly embellishment and scrubbing bad stuff from his past) but telling my older sister the truth about things in his past I never knew about. She said he once threatened to jump out of a window if his college professor didn't give him a passing grade. Like really weird bizarroworld stuff. He still to this day tells her things he doesn't tell me. When these things get brought up around him he laughs and plays it off and moves the conversation away from it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother was the most positive influence in my life of anyone in my family, but she was also a Jehovah's Witness and was pretty judgmental of people. Like she stopped liking Ellen DeGeneres when she came out of the closet. Anyway, while going through her records after she died we found out that she had an abortion between her two husbands. Nobody, not even her sisters even knew she had been pregnant. It was a pretty big shock to people in our family. We figure she probably got pregnant around the time she was deciding to divorce her first husband (who was a terrible person, not that the second was any better) and decided she didn't want to have another of his children. I don't know if she was studying with the JWs at the time or not.

Also, my uncle who is also JW, told us not to talk about his knee replacement around his JW friends because I guess they used pig cartilage or something and that's not allowed. Lots of glass house stone throwers in my family's older generations I guess.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
My grandmother with Alzheimer's revealed that my grandfather was a terrible racist (he never showed that side at all), and after her death my dad discovered she'd had a secret marriage just out of high school.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Only a few years ago I learned that my mom married and divorced someone before meeting my dad and that my big sister is actually my half-sister because of it.