• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Half as long.

Twice as bright.

oqLHIWkUlynTiyDQntBPp8Z84Gt2M3FIYbuVpILiQzA.png

I was actually kinda shocked that Sucker Punch was able to turn this piece of shit character around. From a dude that was willing to nuke a city just to try and get superpowers to being one of the best ride or die characters in the PS3 generation.

In fact, this game series is way too underrated and I was surprised we didn't get more in the inFamous universe. Having said that, I feel like the timeline in inFamous 1 and 2 was more interesting than the events of Second Son.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Kratos

Really wish Second Son hadn't been so boring. Something about it felt so sterile compared to the first two

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want an infamous remaster collection. Infamous 2 was the best in the series imo

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Not a specific character, but the Ascians in general in FF14's most recent expansion go from being really generic shadowy bad guys ranting about darkness and stuff to being incredibly well fleshed out and sympathetic while still being the villains.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Definitely Kratos

Really wish Second Son hadn't been so boring. Something about it felt so sterile compared to the first two

It was so weird. Just the fact that it took place in a real city and not a pastiche made things feel uneasy from the get go

And then you have delsin and his brother having the most artificial, sitcom relationship ever which contrasts with how natural Cole and Zeke felt

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eli Vance went from nameless nobody in HL1 to the heart of the series in HL2 and beyond. The interactions with him in Half Life Alyx hit such high emotional moments, you would have never ever guessed he'd become that from what he was in HL1.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apollo in Ace attorney 4 and then into Dual destiny, he got a lot more fleshed out and actually did things himself.

Too bad he got dunked on so much in that stupid Yokai case that constantly makes me quit replaying

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to contribute Kratos to the thread, but since it's already been mentioned (and rightly!) I'll just nod and agree with the OP. Zeke's turnaround is beyond masterful, and the way he ties in to the endings is one of the few genuinely emotional moments for me across gaming. The evil ending of 2, in particular, I couldn't go through with on my first attempt.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Actually I didn't really like him in Infamous 2. He acted like the "right" thing to do was saving regular humans and causing the death of all superpowered humans. And acted legitimately angry if you chose something different or were even conflicted about the choice. Both choices cause the deaths of thousands of people and there's no "right" answer, it came off as especially selfish considering how he was a regular human himself.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zeke sucks. He's, better, sure, but in the way Kim is better in season 4 or whatever of 24. She's not being chased by mountain lions anymore, but she sure is a drag to watch still.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I didn't really like him in Infamous 2. He acted like the "right" thing to do was saving regular humans and causing the death of all superpowered humans. And acted legitimately angry if you chose something different or were even conflicted about the choice. Both choices cause the deaths of thousands of people and there's no "right" answer, it came off as especially selfish considering how he was a regular human himself.
One causes the deaths of thousands, the other causes the deaths of billions. Yeah, I think there's a right decision here.

That said, I do wish inFamous 3 had been in the other timeline. Post-apocalypse, everyone left has superpowers, Cole as the bad guy: it could've been sweet. And actually consistent, unlike Second Son.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The odds of a person being a Conduit are given at around 1 in 1000. So the choice is between killing 99.9% of the population or just 0.1%, and the events of Second Son where Good Cole's choice is canon makes it clear that many of the Conduits survived so both humans and Conduits continue to exist.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
One causes the deaths of thousands, the other causes the deaths of billions. Yeah, I think there's a right decision here.

That said, I do wish inFamous 3 had been in the other timeline. Post-apocalypse, everyone left has superpowers, Cole as the bad guy: it could've been sweet. And actually consistent, unlike Second Son.

Both choices cause the deaths of at least thousands of people. There isn't really a "good" option here. What makes me dislike Zeke in this is how he's angry at you for even being conflicted about the situation. Like, this is a decision which will cost Cole's own life as well as thousands of others like him, and Zeke is totally unaccepting even of the idea that Cole might hesitate. Zeke will be totally safe from this decision though of course.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Real talk, I still tear up just watching the Hero Ending for inFamous 2.

Dec 20, 2017
Loghain Mac Tir.....at least if you make the right choices
I mean Loghain was never a shitty character; he was already fascinating and complex character in Dragon Age origins. Personally, I think the answer within the Dragon Age series is Cullen, seeing as he went from a crazy "kill all the mages" templar to the calm and noble advisor seen in Inquisition.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Eli Vance went from nameless nobody in HL1 to the heart of the series in HL2 and beyond. The interactions with him in Half Life Alyx hit such high emotional moments, you would have never ever guessed he'd become that from what he was in HL1.
Kind of cheating since he was basically retconned into an actual character for HL2

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mileena from MK9 to MKX.

Went from the sum of all grotesque & juvenile fetishes to a character with agency & ambition.

MileenaJMMKX.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is there any way to play Infamous 2 on the PS4? I never finished it, though I was spoilered on the ending. I made it about 50% through back in the day and would love to return to it. Hmm, I wonder if I still have my old PS3 cloud saves .....

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I agree, what they did with redeeming Zeke was great. inFamous 2 remains my favorite super hero game. Second Son completely killed the franchise though. I made a blog post about my disappointment in that like six years ago. https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/darthorange/blog/2-steps-forward-10-steps-back/106331/

That said I actually did end up enjoying First Light. I thought the boost rings they added around the city were neat and made traversal more fun. And the combat arena was really really well done too and I actually enjoyed trying to get higher on the leaderboard.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
This is where I realize I don't really play that many series with recurring characters.

Resident Evil characters start dorky and stay that way. Metal Gear characters mostly get worse.

I guess my answer would be Luc from the Suikoden series. He started off as just a shitty arrogant kid, and playing to the end of his story in Suikoden 3 was haunting in a way few things in games have been for me.

Also, I don't know if it's Stockholm Syndrome or what, but I think Snow is much more tolerable in the sequels to FFXIII, and even attains some pathos by the point of Lightning Returns.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
Kerrigan from Starcraft.
Leading the Swarm into genocide on multiple planets she gets ''rescued'' by Raynor and later saves the universe.
Blizzard writing has really gone downhill.