• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet, I go on vacation starting Saturday, will have time to play a game for once and from a series I love.

Oct 28, 2017
It's Shiren and Koppa!

Love this game, will definitely buy it but I'm currently bound by Noita and Dark Souls III.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm gonna hold out for the physical version. Fingers crossed this entry is a breakout hit, I would love to see traditional roguelikes hit the mainstream, people asking about "games like Shiren". PMD just didn't seem to have that effect, or at least people weren't vocal about it being their gateway drug.
I haven't played any Mystery Dungeon style Roguelike that's pulled me in like Shiren, by far

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How dpad dependent is this game? Is there a lot of potential for dpad misfires fucking you over?

Trying to decide between Switch and Steam, but I'll be most likely playing it on my TV most of the time on either platform so that means on Switch I would need to use the awful Pro controller dpad.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
good start

20201203_155620.jpg

Bleep

Nov 12, 2017
How dpad dependent is this game? Is there a lot of potential for dpad misfires fucking you over?

Trying to decide between Switch and Steam, but I'll be most likely playing it on my TV most of the time on either platform so that means on Switch I would need to use the awful Pro controller dpad.

It's simultaneous turns like traditional roguelikes, including movement and there is a button that can be held to help you move diagonally. You're unlikely to have issues with inputs using the Pro controller dpad unless you're really rushing things.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
  • I was told there would be a sale on release for the Switch. Is that only for the EU?
  • Is there a pre-order link for the physical copy from Limited Run Games? Or that hasn't been announced yet?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Started the game last night. It seems to have expanded quite a bit on the DS version. So many new things I need to learn about (mainly that weird tanuki fusing-pot.) Beat the Tower of the Past with ease (only like 15 min?) I'm hoping the game isn't solely the three towers and a final tower? I'll probably eat those words as I assume it gets a lot harder.

Is there a difference/benefit between using the Warehouse (laying items out for display) and the Storehouse (woman who stores your items in a menu)?

• I was told there would be a sale on release for the Switch. Is that only for the EU?
  • Is there a pre-order link for the physical copy from Limited Run Games? Or that hasn't been announced yet?
I'm not sure about the sale. LRG has announced that they would be releasing physically, but no word on when. They have not put up their preorder yet, you haven't missed anything.

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
What an incredible discovery this game has been for me! I had tried the DS Shiren a long way back and was entirely turned off by it (same with PMD titles). I decided to give this specific type of game a chance again after taking a peak at this thread a few days ago and it finally clicked! I made it to the hermit village and was a bit sad that I was seemingly close to the end... but then I unlocked the encyclopedia and saw that I had only seen 40-ish monsters out of ... 900 ?!? Wait something's not right! So I peeked at a wiki and ooooh boy is this game fucking packed, very pleasant surprise. Main tower is practically just a tutorial.

The learning curve however, is pretty damn steep. The number of interactions between items, monsters, scrolls, pots is absolutely staggering and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the number of concepts I have to wrap my head around. I did not expect these games to carry so much depth (at least, this game). I'm very curious to see how all these mechanics and the needed strategies expand in the post-game. It's also very punishing and shit can go down in flames in seconds, thank god for undo grass O_o.

I have one question: I keep seeing online that "new items" (the pot made ones?) should be avoided because they disrupt the game balance. There's no way to delete those once registered? Are they really that gamebreaking or has it changed in this version of the game?

(I actually have a second question: many years back, I tried a PC roguelike, very traditional with rudimentary graphics, complex mechanics, etc. I tried looking for it but I can't remember the name. The only thing I recall is that the title had some sort of LotR reference and that it was very highly regarded. I absolutely hated it back then but now that I better understand these games, I'd love to give it another try. Anybody knows which game I'm talking about?)

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation guys, I'm happy I gave it a go : )

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
(I actually have a second question: many years back, I tried a PC roguelike, very traditional with rudimentary graphics, complex mechanics, etc. I tried looking for it but I can't remember the name. The only thing I recall is that the title had some sort of LotR reference and that it was very highly regarded. I absolutely hated it back then but now that I better understand these games, I'd love to give it another try. Anybody knows which game I'm talking about?)
Moria?

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
Just had a flash, I just remembered!

it was Tales of Maj'Eyal
store.steampowered.com

Save 50% on Tales of Maj'Eyal on Steam

Tales of Maj’Eyal is a roguelike RPG, featuring tactical turn-based combat and advanced character building. Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix...

I wasn't crazy about the LotR reference (wikipedia):
Tales of Maj'Eyal was developed by Nicolas Casalini ("DarkGod"), with graphics by Assen Kanev ("Rexorcorum") and Raymond Gaustadnes ("Shockbolt"). It is based upon Casalini's earlier game Tales of Middle Earth,[SUP][10][/SUP] which in turn is based upon his own PernAngband variant,[SUP][11][/SUP] which was itself based on Zangband [SUP][12][/SUP], which was in turn based on Angband.[SUP][13][/SUP] Development of ToME 4 started in 2009, and the first formal release occurred in 2012.[SUP][14][/SUP]

The reference is pretty subtle though, I'll admit!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried the PC version? I'm seeing mixed things about the quality of the port on the Steam page and not sure if I should pull the trigger.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017

it was Tales of Maj'Eyal
store.steampowered.com

Tales of Maj’Eyal is a roguelike RPG, featuring tactical turn-based combat and advanced character building. Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix...

Tales of Maj'Eyal was developed by Nicolas Casalini ("DarkGod"), with graphics by Assen Kanev ("Rexorcorum") and Raymond Gaustadnes ("Shockbolt"). It is based upon Casalini's earlier game Tales of Middle Earth,[SUP][10][/SUP] which in turn is based upon his own PernAngband variant,[SUP][11][/SUP] which was itself based on Zangband [SUP][12][/SUP], which was in turn based on Angband.[SUP][13][/SUP] Development of ToME 4 started in 2009, and the first formal release occurred in 2012.[SUP][14][/SUP]

Gem of a game. Made a thread on the old place why it stands out even among the roguelike crowd.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried the PC version? I'm seeing mixed things about the quality of the port on the Steam page and not sure if I should pull the trigger.
This is obviously subjective, but I'm playing and enjoying the Steam version and haven't had any major issues whatsoever. In my opinion it seems like the problems a minority of players might be (or have been) running into are more pertinent to their specific setups than the quality of the port. Resolution settings leave something to be desired, though. I'm sure Spike Chunsoft might address some things soon enough.
(Late edit: For what it's worth, this is something endemic to most PC games—the endless possible combinations of system hardware and software configurations means some problems might fall through the cracks when developing or testing.)

My only personal qualms so far are that it's ordinarily not possible to skip the launcher and the mouse cursor is still present in borderless mode, and the game always switches from fullscreen to borderless after alt+tabbing, and doesn't return to fullscreen without manually pressing alt+enter, provided the fullscreen switch setting's enabled in the launcher. (And you're still able to drag the window in borderless mode by holding the left mouse button, which is a bit silly).

If anyone else is playing on Steam, though, I found a way to bypass the launcher, but your mileage may vary.
  1. Open the installation folder.
  2. Rename ShirenTheWanderer5plusLauncher.exe to something else.
  3. Rename ShirenTheWanderer5plus.exe to ShirenTheWanderer5plusLauncher.exe
  4. In Steam, right-click the game, select Properties..., and click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS...
  5. Copy and paste this into the Launch Options window: RD5G22EDZ02()aD2jjCS21s (What the hell is this, and why does the launcher need to pass it into the game executable to properly start?)
  6. Exit the Properties windows and launch the game.
Bear in mind that the launcher is required to apply PC settings. It might be good to make sure you have your preferences set before doing this.

Last edited:

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Well, there are some issues, like getting soft-locked, so I kind of wanted to wait and see how it goes.
This is obviously subjective, but I'm playing and enjoying the Steam version and haven't had any major issues whatsoever. In my opinion it seems like the problems a minority of players might be (or have been) running into are more pertinent to their specific setups than the quality of the port. Resolution settings leave something to be desired, though. I'm sure Spike Chunsoft might address some things soon enough.
(Late edit: For what it's worth, this is something endemic to most PC games—the endless possible combinations of system hardware and software configurations means some problems might fall through the cracks when developing or testing.)

My only personal qualms so far are that it's ordinarily not possible to skip the launcher and the mouse cursor is still present in borderless mode, and the game always switches from fullscreen to borderless after alt+tabbing, and doesn't return to fullscreen without manually pressing alt+enter, provided the fullscreen switch setting's enabled in the launcher. (And you're still able to drag the window in borderless mode by holding the left mouse button, which is a bit silly).

If anyone else is playing on Steam, though, I found a way to bypass the launcher, but your mileage may vary.
  1. Open the installation folder.
  2. Rename ShirenTheWanderer5plusLauncher.exe to something else.
  3. Rename ShirenTheWanderer5plus.exe to ShirenTheWanderer5plusLauncher.exe
  4. In Steam, right-click the game, select Properties..., and click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS...
  5. Copy and paste this into the Launch Options window: RD5G22EDZ02()aD2jjCS21s (What the hell is this, and why does the launcher need to pass it into the game executable to properly start?)
  6. Exit the Properties windows and launch the game.
Bear in mind that the launcher is required to apply PC settings. It might be good to make sure you have your preferences set before doing this.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go ahead and get it despite the issues.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Ok so the towers don't seem like much but the Tower of Present kicked my ass a few times. If Jirokichi hadn't died I could've maybe made it in less runs.

Is there a wiki or good resource like fextralife for this game?

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Just by tower of the present after a number of attempts, and its great so far! Really enjoying the flow of gameplay and having easy access to the undo grass and revival grass makes the game more accessible than i thought it would be.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up today on the eShop. Looking forward to finally playing it!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

it was Tales of Maj'Eyal
store.steampowered.com

Lol. Yeah, I know (think I even own) that game, but would never have linked it to LotR!

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Well, holy crap this game is good.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
So I tried this game on my Vita 3 years ago and got my ass kicked felt the game was really obtuse and dropped it. Since then I've gotten into the souls series, although a different genre, as shown me the rewards of pushing through difficult but fair games. Really thinking of picking this up again. Is this version worth getting over the vita one

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
I'm still hopelessly addicted to it but I hit a brick wall around floor 5-7 of the Tower of fortune. Night sequences particularly mess me up... I get the idea of using torches, abilities, etc but I systematically burn through all my undo grass in a few floors. Is there some mechanic I'm unware of? The trip back there is starting to feel slightly long.

also, is there a point to the new staircases that let you move across towers? I don't see why I'd move across when I'm just trying to move up.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
So I tried this game on my Vita 3 years ago and got my ass kicked felt the game was really obtuse and dropped it. Since then I've gotten into the souls series, although a different genre, as shown me the rewards of pushing through difficult but fair games. Really thinking of picking this up again. Is this version worth getting over the vita one

There isn't that much difference between the Vita version and this one, if you still have it on Vita I'd play it there.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
I got to 9th floor in the tower of fortune and searched out the staircase after the guy got destroyed by a walrus, used my last undo grass on him as i had no other healing items and hoping it was the last floor of that dungeon.. it then changed from night to day and i got totally surrounded two tiles away from the staircase.. annihilated... games savage

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the last level of the minesweeper& bomb explosion minimode for like 5 hours yesterday and still couldnt beat it. I will not rest until I have that checkmark. MY DETERMINATION SHALL NOT WANE!

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
My first death was from not knowing how to get the recommendation letter to work. I'm in the Tower of the Present and I'm trying to show it to the shopkeeper but nothing is happening. Considering this game's training mode has taught you that throwing things make items work that I decided to throw it at the shopkeeper. He then hits me for 142 damage.

I learned later on that I'm supposed to look for a different shopkeeper.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the last level of the minesweeper& bomb explosion minimode for like 5 hours yesterday and still couldnt beat it. I will not rest until I have that checkmark. MY DETERMINATION SHALL NOT WANE!
On floor 4/5 now for the first time and paralyzed to make a mistake, aaaaaah.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
top of tower of fortune and got destroyed... this games great! I'm not even that big on rougelikes but the progression is a lot of fun in this.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Because it took me around 10 hours to beat it, I'd figure I'd share what loot I got in the Expert mode of the explosion dungeon:

Eo59jv4VgAAGaPY

Eo59jwSVEAAu_71

I was mostly doing it just because and the time investment likely isnt worth it (though I am probably a good bit better at it now), but I am very happy about the Growth Bracelets and mixing materials. Free XP is good in my book.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the Tower of Future today. Pretty happy with my equipment after beating it:
EpDP71-VEAEY3nh

Flame sword shoots fireballs, so its a free ranged attack for a flat 12 damage every turn. The modifiers dont affect the fireball, but ranged + extra damage in close range is good in my book.

EpDP72AU8AM50uL

EpDP72GUUAEfmDz

Asp Aspis lowers fire damage and the quality of life improvements are VERY enjoyable. Half hunger is amazing.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
I was in a shop and then one of those wee rag rappy guys head butted me out of it in which case the shopkeeper started hunting me with his buddies... and the undo grass only (at least in my case in this situation) revives you, it doesn't give you the option to return!... wtf

GooseTeeth

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the main game yesterday and now I'm trying some of the end game dungeons. This game is so fun, which is weird because i just couldn't get into the vita version years ago.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Tower of Fortune down. Might do another bonus dungeon first before continuing the main quest. I could deal with less existential angst for my next run.

Last edited:

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Beat it last night. Probabaly quickest i beat a shiren game. Still had loads of fun. Theres so many ways to prevent catastrophe after dying in this game compared to the first or the Torneko games. Still felt challenging though. Overall was fun and now time to do post game fuckery.

Time for blessing/extraction scroll exploits!

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
So on to Hunter Pond. In 10 tries, my best was around reaching 16F. The monsters quickly started to deplete any item I had left.

How far do you guys make it?

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaah, died on the 28th out of 29 floors in the Hunter pond with a kickass sword and shield. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

That hurt.

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't been able to devote as much time as I want in this but I AM LOVING this game. I think that this is a great entry point for people, and it does a great job easy players into the many systems. Finished the Towers of the Past and Present, and made a couple runs that I had to bail testing out the Tower of Future. after a upgrade equipment run I think I am ready to tackle it proper & can't wait.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Finished the main scenario and it was great! It's my first Shiren but i've got the ds game so i might give that a try in the near future, going to explore some of the other dungeon/ post game stuff you all have mentioned, seems fun if a bit daunting. It was a great entry point into the series for me and i'm not usually into run based rougelikes but yeah this is a brilliant game!