• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Story is breaking just now, shot in the head despite wearing a press vest. Rest in power.

The circumstances of her death are not clear, but videos of the incident show Abu Akleh was shot in the head, said Al Jazeera's Nida Ibrahim.

"What we know for now is that the Palestinian Health Ministry has announced her death. Shireen Abu Akleh, who has been covering the events unfolding in Jenin, specifically an Israeli raid on a city to the north of the occupied West Bank, when she was hit by a bullet to the head," Ibrahim said, speaking from the Palestinian city of Ramallah.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Rest in peace.

I'd like to point out western media hypocrisy.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Internat...-journalist-killed-gunfire-west-bank-84636750 the headline, at best, should be "Israeli army kills Al Jazeera Journalist during raid".

But instead it is "al Jazeera Journalist killed". As if people are just magically killed during raids with no responsibility.

May her death not be another statistic in the senseless violence...
I noticed this. Immense, gigantic, flashing-neon-sign "Person shot to death by bullet fired from gun under the ownership of officer" energy. Disgusting.

Rest in power.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
download-7.jpg

I don't know, seems like she was killed by "gunfire" here.

Side note, remember when Israel blew up the associated press office?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It's not common for press to die even in warzones if they're properly outfitted and authorized right

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Rest in peace.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Internat...-journalist-killed-gunfire-west-bank-84636750 the headline, at best, should be "Israeli army kills Al Jazeera Journalist during raid".

But instead it is "al Jazeera Journalist killed". As if people are just magically killed during raids with no responsibility.

It's because the Israeli military are, of course, investigating the possibility that Shireen was hit by Palestinian Gunmen. Just enough to obligate foreign reporting to be 'neutral' until things are supposedly verified, even while Israel lets it quietly slip into the background while never providing proof.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Genuine news reporting can be such a thankless and terrible job when you're trying to reach and enlighten the world of its going's on....
Those getting the real/detrimental stories have often had their brush with death if not occasionally taken by it.... This is tragic, and it seems like a talented and courageous reporter has been lost.

Rest in peace.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP to a brave journalist.

IDF has been murdering (clearly marked) journalists and medics with impunity. Don't know who they think they're fooling with the "Palestinian gunmen" claim.

Reading the original article it seems like they also shot their producer in the back

According to the article, it was Ali Samoudi, another AJ journalist. Fortunately he's reported to be in stable condition.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rest in peace.

AP was using this passive voice bullshit too despite IDF literally blew up their Gaza HQ with journalists still inside them last year.

Craven cowards.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Shireen was the face of news on Palestine and a voice of Palestinians, it was a shock hearing about her death this morning. I can't imagine she's actually gone- what a devastating loss.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Appalling… When will the rest of the world man up and help Palestine?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I feel sick, she has been the face of on the ground reporting from Palestine for as far as I can remember, fuck the IDF and everyone who support them.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking war criminals. Fuck Israel, fuck the US, and fuck most of the west for supporting those fucking monsters

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just realized "Jareeza" should be "Jazeera" in thread title, apologies for typo, was on my phone. Reported the OP.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
disgusting article from nytime

If a NY Times journalist gets shot up in a warzone, they ain't getting any sympathy from me, fuck em its karma at that point.

This person could have been anyone of them, yet they go out of their way to do massage the truth for the benefit of the war criminals that did this.

I know not everyone there has the power to make editorial decisions but fuck em, anyone who still works for a repulsive joint like this is scum.

Last edited:

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Rest in peace.

These ones are even worse:

The Guardian
Al Jazeera accuses Israeli forces of killing journalist in West Bank

Associated Press (before edit)
Al-Jazeera blames Israel for death of reporter in West Bank
Original story:
JERUSALEM: Al-Jazeera is blaming Israel for the death of its reporter, who was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank.

The Qatar-based broadcaster flashed a statement on its channel saying: "We call on the international community to condemn and hold the Israeli occupation forces accountable for deliberately targeting and killing our colleague Shireen Abu Akleh."

Abu Akleh was shot and killed early on Wednesday in the northern West Bank town of Jenin.

The Israeli military says it is investigating the incident and that she may have been hit by Palestinian gunfire.

Apr 25, 2020
Keep waiting for that savior on a donkey to waltz into town, Israel. If I were them, I would be turning around and walking the opposite direction.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RIP.

From the Guardian, witness testimony from a reporter who was also hit:

The Palestinian health ministry confirmed Abu Akleh's death and said a second reporter, the Al Jazeera producer Ali Samodi, was wounded.

"We were there to cover the events in Jenin camp. All of a sudden [the Israelis] opened fire at us, they didn't ask us to leave or stop. The first bullet hit me, the second one hit Shireen … There were no resistance fighters around us. If there were, we wouldn't have been in that area," Samodi told the New Palestinian from hospital.

It's opening sentence however:

Al Jazeera has accused Israel of deliberately killing one of its reporters during a firefight between Israeli security forces and Palestinian gunmen in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin.

---- Al-Jazeera:

"We were going to film the Israeli army operation and suddenly they shot us without asking us to leave or stop filming," said Samoudi. "The first bullet hit me and the second bullet hit Shireen … there was no Palestinian military resistance at all at the scene."

Shatha Hanaysha, a Palestinian journalist who was present next to Abu Akleh when she was shot, also told Al Jazeera that there had been no confrontations between Palestinian fighters and the Israeli army, and said that the group of journalists had been targeted.

"We were four journalists, we were all wearing vests, all wearing helmets," Hanaysha said. "The [Israeli] occupation army did not stop firing even after she collapsed. I couldn't even extend my arm to pull her because of the shots. The army was adamant on shooting to kill."

Literallly execution of a journlist by sniper fire and they'll still cover for Israel, what else is new.

And I don't know why the IDF have this international reputation in the media for being elite soldiers, most of their victims seem to be journalists, medics and children throwing stones. Even in the last conflict, most of the victims were women and children. Fucking cowards.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking bastards. These pieces of garbage.

This woman have dedicated her life to reporting about this disgusting injustice against humanity and they fucking shot her. Shame on so called journalists trying to burry this fact. Bunch of spineless cowards. She is more of a journalist than these bitches put together.

I grew up seeing her in TV covering the conflict. I feel awful to say the least.

Innalilah wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's footage of them trying to pick her up while being fired on. No gunshots from the side near the reporters.

This is a continuation from the video in the above post.

WARNING there is body that I presume is dead at the time considering she was a shot in the head.
There is blurring but you can see blood.

Jun 20, 2019
This is an outrageous crime, the murder of a journalist clearly marked as 'Press' on a tour with other journalists. She was brave, professional, and honest. Multiple independent journalists who were eye witnesses to the attack are leaving no doubt about the circumstances of the attack: she was killed by long range fire wearing a helmet and a 'Press' vest, there was no ongoing firefight before the two journalists were shot, and other journalists could not immediately reach her fallen body due to continuing sniper cover fire.

I hope for peace for her and her family and Justice for Palestine.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Inna lillahi wa Inna ilayhi rajiun

She was a hero. This is horrifying.

How many journalists has IDF murdered now?

Talgold3

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary; Account in Junior Phase
I know it may be an unpopular opinion but Al-Jazeera without proof claims IDF shot journalist Shireen Abu Akleh. Attached, a Palestinian militant firing recklessly without looking: "We hit a soldier!". Shreen wore a vest and helmet. No reported IDF casualties. Israel offered a joint investigation, Palestinians refused.

Here is the video

Official Staff Communication
Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I know it may be an unpopular opinion but Al-Jazeera without proof claims IDF shot journalist Shireen Abu Akleh. Attached, a Palestinian militant firing recklessly without looking: "We hit a soldier!". Shreen wore a vest and helmet. No reported IDF casualties. Israel offered a joint investigation, Palestinians refused.

Here is the video

There were no Palestinian militants in the area. No other gunfire in the area. A single bullet, right at her ear, below where her helmet could possibly save her life.

Other eyewitness accounts collaborate this. The IDF has a history of murdering journalists.

edit: i can see the twitter source you're using an israeli account that is masquerading as arabic "abou ali" (which is as stereotypically racist and mocking as one could be about arabs in general)

Last edited:

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here is the video

That's literally what the IDF posted. A video showing a guy blind-firing around a corner with return gun-fire heard.

Doesn't match up to the witness statements and the video shown of civilians being sniped while trying to pick her body up.

Why would they ever accept a joint investigatin with fucking Israel.

- I'm sure the exact locations can be verified, it's clear where the direction of fire is coming from in the video of the journalist.

Last edited:

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018

Here is the video

Please not do a genocidal's regime's PR.

Eye witnesses are corroborating, Isreal has a track record of targeting journalists, they have blown up entire journalistic HQ's with that discredited "militants" lie.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It would also help if google didn't blur every satelite imagery of Palestine. But you can clearly see in the video, the location of where he was shooting at (a very narrow opening) is no where near where her body was.

Oct 27, 2017

Here is the video

This video is bullshit.

Edit: As pointed above.

Israel killed journalists before and will kill again. Last thing we need is people buying into their misleading videos and propaganda.