• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
these sort of snide ad-hominems are typical when someone doesn't like to be disagreed with and so would rather make silly accusations. play the ball, not the man. actually what RE7 took more from outlast and that style of horror game wasn't camera perspective, it was the tiresome stream of gore-fest gross-out ugliness. luckily the series has rediscovered that effective horror needs to ramp up and strike a proper balance of beauty and safety with ugliness and danger rather than just try to overwhelm you with gross-out shock value nastiness past the point of severed-reattached limbs absurdity. RE7 got a lot right in terms of level and puzzle design and of course those parts of the game have more in common with RE2 than outlast but it abandoned that proper balance the best entries in the series strike and matched that with forgettable characters and a story i couldn't care less about
Resident Evil 7's gore directly, and I mean directly, pulls from Evil Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The chainsawed hand off scene and Ethan stabbing his wife in the neck and then his wife coming after him with a chainsaw is all a long nod to the second Evil Dead film. The various scenes with Jack and his violence and the decomposing gore of the house with dried out corpses is all a callback to Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Outlast is a game who's gore mostly is related to scars actually, IE the idea of surgery as the game takes place in a hospital. Outlast has a lot of gore on the walls and such, but there's actually very little mutilation that happens in the game, though one famous scene is when the doctor cuts off the fingers while performing on you in an unsanitary bathroom with giant sheers. But the gore isn't actually related at all to Outlast, it is very directly and openly pulling from the Evil Dead films and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Outlast didn't invent gore in horror, and the type of gore in Outlast and RE7 actually are incredibly different.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 7's gore directly, and I mean directly, pulls from Evil Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The chainsawed hand off scene and Ethan stabbing his wife in the neck and then his wife coming after him with a chainsaw is all a long nod to the second Evil Dead film. The various scenes with Jack and his violence and the decomposing gore of the house with dried out corpses is all a callback to Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
sure. but i think it's pretty silly to deny that the popularity of first person horror titles like outlast and PT had influence on their decisions. it drew from those grindhouse horror films (as did Outlast) and i think it was probably not the better for it.
So whats that got to do with the camera? RE2R doesn't turn into that when you use the FP mod. Its actually quite amazing. And
well, of course nothing inherent about the first person perspective required them to go in that slasher direction, although i think there's probably some link between the two decisions. but i didn't say that it did. i just said RE2 felt like the right perspective and also that RE7 is overrated to me and it felt a lot like outlast at times. i'm surprised that's considered such a shocking and controversial take. cool for people that wanted what they got in RE7 but it seems the series is going in the exact direction i would want from modern RE now. i've looked at the first person mod but i like the third person view better

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone think kh3 somewhat hindered the sales for re2? Both games were released in close proximity with each other

Hmm. I don't think so. I mean there certainly be someone who has no exact preference and had to choose but that would be pretty small. I have both games first day but with the totally different gameplay , world and character , it shouldn't overlaps much. Even if RE2 release at different time it will still sell this much IMO.

RE vs KH is always a bad joke to me , only because Mikami said something about it one million years ago. I mean Disney and zombie ....

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
these sort of snide ad-hominems are typical when someone doesn't like to be disagreed with and so would rather make silly accusations. play the ball, not the man. actually what RE7 took more from outlast and that style of horror game wasn't camera perspective, it was the tiresome stream of gore-fest gross-out ugliness. luckily the series has rediscovered that effective horror needs to ramp up and strike a proper balance of beauty and safety with ugliness and danger rather than just try to overwhelm you with gross-out shock value nastiness past the point of severed-reattached limbs absurdity. RE7 got a lot right in terms of level and puzzle design and of course those parts of the game have more in common with RE2 than outlast but it abandoned that proper balance the best entries in the series strike and matched that with forgettable characters and a story i couldn't care less about

You would be surprised that this "gore-fest gross-out ugliness" started with RE1 itself.

I don't think people could forget the opening cutscene of a fellow member in your squad, being eaten alive by putrified dogs, or even the first zombie encounter with a guy being decapitated, after being bitten in the neck.

Also, let's not forget about the original Resident Evil 2 itself, which is far more gory and graphic than 7. Hell, i would even put Resi 4 above it. These games were all about that B-movie vibe, so it isn't really smart to start acting like it was all about "subtle" and "restrained" horror in the first place. Resident Evil is cheesy as hell, i really don't see that "beauty and safety with ugliness and danger" in a series that's more comical when it's trying to be serious.

Actually, Resident Evil 2 (2019) is actually a gory fest as well, i really don't know what you're talking about.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You would be surprised that this "gore-fest gross-out ugliness" started with RE1 itself.

I don't think people could forget the opening cutscene of a fellow member in your squad, being eaten alive by putrified dogs, or even the first zombie encounter with a guy being decapitated, after being bitten in the neck.
I think you rather missed my point if you think I was saying RE7 introduced gore to the series
Also, let's not forget about the original Resident Evil 2 itself, which is far more gory and graphic than 7. Hell, i would even put Resi 4 above it. These games were all about that B-movie vibe, so it isn't really smart to start acting like it was all about "subtle" and "restrained" horror in the first place. Resident Evil is cheesy as hell, i really don't see that "beauty and safety with ugliness and danger" in a series that's more comical when it's trying to be serious.
This is a strange re-writing of the series history, but I'll let you have it. It's very strange to me that someone would claim not to see the beauty in art/location design and periods of calm in RE1/2 and attempt to retrospectively paint them as non-stop ugly splatfests, but hey.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
in 10 or 20 years there is going to be talk of floating around the idea of a full remake of RE4 and it's probably going to happen in some way or form.

Oct 25, 2017
XN4PvMd.jpg

Does anyone have a premium access to SteamSpy so we could see a more specific numbers?

Sadly , Steamspy isnt as reliable as before

However what is confirmed is that RE2 Remake has a peak concurrent players on Steam x4 the peak concurrent players of RE7 on Steam , so it is safe to assume that PC sales ratio here is bigger than RE7

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I would much prefer if they apply this game's core design to a brand new scenario instead of doing another remake.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This basically confirms Resident Evil 3 remake.

Congrats! Haven't played it myself but the game looks amazing.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
This is good because, not only is REmake 2 ace and it deserves all its success, but the game also represents a perfect Resi formula and signals where the franchise should go next with 8.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There's so much to rectify they better off making a new game imo.

No, there is not. RE3 is a strong entry in the series and widely loved by the fanbase.

I often think people here have a very... misguided view of that game. Which is clearly visible when people say how they should "fix" the remake: Carlos should have his own campaign (in other words, make RE3 ala RE2), it should be co-op, it should have RE6 style of action (sorry Jawmuncher).

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Deserves all the sales in the world.

Easily a game of generation type. Nah, fuck that, easily a game of ALL TIME type.

Instant classic.

This game is really a dream come true. I can't stress that enough.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
No, there is not. RE3 is a strong entry in the series and widely loved by the fanbase.

I often think people here have a very... misguided view of that game. Which is clearly visible when people say how they should "fix" the remake: Carlos should have his own campaign (in other words, make RE3 ala RE2), it should be co-op, it should have RE6 style of action (sorry Jawmuncher).

RE6 style action would suit RE3 I think though. Scaled back and retuned some, but I do genuinely think that could work given RE3's more intense encounters, added mechanics/mobility, and faster overall pace.

Anyway, I'll never understand the RE3 detractors. That game is positively brilliant, and the best classic style RE game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
RE6 style action would suit RE3 I think though. Scaled back and retuned some, but I do genuinely think that could work given RE3's more intense encounters, added mechanics/mobility, and faster overall pace.

Anyway, I'll never understand the RE3 detractors. That game is positively brilliant, and the best classic style RE game.

I fully agree with this, mirroring the originals, RE3 should dial action a little further, emphazing a little. RE6 is the opposite of a that.

Let me put this way, if RE2 is a 0 on action and RE4 is a 10, RE3 should be a 2-4. With a dodge movement being the must here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved! I'm not even a RE guy but even I was impressed with how they stay true to the original!

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Makes me happy to see it doing well, game deserves it, one of the best remakes of a game hands down.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think Capcom has already confirmed this.

And as others have already stated: suck it first person RE. Third person is the only way to do it.

You do know RE7 sold really well too right ?

No reason to think 1st Person will be just dumped and also no reason why we can't have both. RE3 Remake will be 3rd Person and RE8 can be 1st Person (with that amazing VR support again)

After that, well they could decide to switch things up again or they might do a CV Remake in 3rd Person and do RE9 in 1st Person again.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Always great news hearing a singleplayer game - and especially a pretty linear one - doing so well

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
You do know RE7 sold really well too right ?

No reason to think 1st Person will be just dumped and also no reason why we can't have both. RE3 Remake will be 3rd Person and RE8 can be 1st Person (with that amazing VR support again)

After that, well they could decide to switch things up again or they might do a CV Remake in 3rd Person and do RE9 in 1st Person again.

Yeah, RE7 sold well, not as well as RE2 2019 tho. If they want to sell more copies, they will keep it 3rd person. Ideally though, they would give the player the option.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So glad for Capcom, after KH3's success, another Japan hit

After that result of 4m in 1 month for a well-known franchise and very well received game critically (90+ Meta), I have to lower my expectation sales for Days Gone