• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Well, the sell-is and sell-through numbers have been pretty close the entire generation for Sony, even more during the first year that were almost the same.

So if the 10 millions are distributed, probably will be sell too...

Eventually, sell-through almost always equals sell-in.

But reasonably, sell-through must trail sell-in by the amount of time it takes to replenish inventory which is why there is always a certain amount of weeks-on-hand at retail. Typically this is 6-8 weeks and you manage this pretty carefully.

I'm not saying Sony is being disingenuous claiming sell-in because that's how business report. But it could give them several hundred thousand units of buffer to that 10M number is all.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks Albert and Bones. In the absence of info coming from Microsoft or Sony I find the whole pricing strategy the only thing keeping me interested.

I really do think there is going to be fireworks with pricing either high or low....

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
$399 for the digital PS5 would be NUTS. At that price it would be by far the best value between the Series S, PS5DE, PS5 and Series X. Why pay $299 for a 4 TF console when you can get 10.3 TF plus access to Sony's excellent first party output for only $99 more?

If you were to look at the $$ per TFLOP (which is somewhat arbitrary but I like it as a benchmark) then a $399 @ 10.3 console is not much different than $499 @ 12. ($38.83 vs. $41.66 per TFLOP). The other two versions don't fare as well. And of course this doesn't count things like amount of storage and the value of the ODD. There is no doubt that if the Series X comes in at the same price as the PS5, you for sure get the most for your money in the Series X. I'm not console warring - you get the more TFLOPS and more storage at the same price. When you compare Series X to PS5 digital with $100 difference - it still favors Series X. $/tflop is about the same, and you get more storage and the drive.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to tell what Microsoft's plan is here. I thought they did really well with the gamepass announcements but feel like they need some more good news soon to kind of blow over the Halo delay. This doesn't seem like the smartest move, but maybe it's necessary due to something internal?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If you were to look at the $$ per TFLOP (which is somewhat arbitrary but I like it as a benchmark) then a $399 @ 10.3 console is not much different than $499 @ 12. ($38.83 vs. $41.66 per TFLOP). The other two versions don't fare as well. And of course this doesn't count things like amount of storage and the value of the ODD. There is no doubt that if the Series X comes in at the same price as the PS5, you for sure get the most for your money in the Series X. I'm not console warring - you get the more TFLOPS and more storage at the same price. When you compare Series X to PS5 digital with $100 difference - it still favors Series X. $/tflop is about the same, and you get more storage and the drive.

Value is subjective and goes beyond just what you get inside a box. A console without launch exclusives isn't going to be as valuable to me as one with said exclusives, no matter how good its "$ per TFLOP" is lol.

Honestly, what a weird post, Albert.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I still don't get why Sony are waiting.

Even if the PS5 digital is $100 more than Lockhart -- people wouldn't just make a decision to buy something that will last 5-6 years because of a hundred bucks, surely?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The games community is far too fixated on this notion of a console warz standoff for announcing price with very little consideration for the idea that neither company are confident enough in a 2020 launch to provide concrete details. It feels like that would be the obvious conclusion for any other kind of product attempting to launch during a pandemic.
With you there. If they'd released every bit of info so far except price, I'd understand a stand off over price. But we hardly know much detail about most other things yet.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still don't get why Sony are waiting.

Even if the PS5 digital is $100 more than Lockhart -- people wouldn't just make a decision to buy something that will last 5-6 years because of a hundred bucks, surely?
Oh, they will. I mean, I did. Especially if a competitor's product can play 90% of the same games at a lower entry price.

A lot of people are also pinching pennies due to the pandemic and these are going to be costly machines. Many households are making sacrifices. $100 saved can go a long ways.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The "value" conversation is very tricky, because it's not like the TFLOP count tells the whole story when what you don't get with the Series X is the bespoke features in PS5 such as GPU cache scrubbers. At the end of the day, consumers aren't the ones using the TFLOPs, it's the devs - and there are so many other factors to consider beyond the GPU.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Ask me 6 months ago, I'd say Xbox is primed to come out swinging this generation. Ask me now, I'd say they're on fire. I'm still getting a Series X at launch but I can't help but feel like I'm buying a ticket aboard a sinking ship.

These reactions crack me up.

I work for an engineering firm and CoVID-19 has completely trashed our scheduled timelines on projects. I'd guess game development and companies located across the US (an other countries) have been devastated too.

We have projects that we had planned to be breaking ground on 6 months ago that are now ranging from November to March 2021. Projects we expected to be finished (EVERYTHING from design, to permitting, to reviews, to signing off on things has been slowed and time consuming) on later this year are pushed into 2021.

These aren't sinking ships, it's just adjusting to a very sucky situation. I'm fine with things being delayed, or changed. Times are hard for a lot of people trying to just get things done.

Everyone across our business and our clients have had to adjust to reality, suck it up, and push forward.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Value is subjective and goes beyond just what you get inside a box. A console without launch exclusives isn't going to be as valuable to me as one with said exclusives, no matter how good its "$ per TFLOP" is lol.

Of course value is subjective. The brand, community, where your friends play, games, etc. all matter. I can't factor those things in, but I can factor in objective measures like storage, disc drives, and performance.

I was reacting to a post that said a $399 PS5 digital would be a killer deal. It would be. It turns out, looking objectively, the Series X at $499 is also a killer deal using those same metrics. If you look at all the features you get, versus the price you pay.

You took that to be a sales pitch or some sort of qualification on which system is "better' which I never did.

A Hyundai in many cases is objectively a better *value* than a Toyota. An Android tablet can objectively be a better *value* than an iPad. Those statements can be true and not suggest that he other option is bad.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not so sure GPU is the only factor in cost.. when clearly Sony is going all in with a more exotic SSD.. thats definitely costing more than it's Series X counterpart.

Bam Ford

Oct 29, 2017
Lisburn, Northern Ireland

Great way to look at it though I don't see how Microsoft say this small gap between the PS5 and series X in teraflops will make a huge difference and require you need the more powerful system and then turnaround and say teraflops don't matter, this cheaper series s plays the same games fine.

It must be a nightmare to try and thread this needle carefully to make both look great. I'm sure it's the main reason we've heard so little about the series S so far.

I just wonder how they'll manage that messaging. I don't see Microsoft doing this well. Reminds me of windows 8 and RT.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

Glad you said it, I was thinking the same thing.

There is no doubt that if the Series X comes in at the same price as the PS5, you for sure get the most for your money in the Series X. I'm not console warring - you get the more TFLOPS and more storage at the same price.

We all know comparing TFLOPS between the two consoles are like comparing apples to oranges. And comparing storage numbers is no different. The PS5's 825GB SSD is vastly superior (2.9x faster) than the Series X's 1TB.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Of course value is subjective. The brand, community, where your friends play, games, etc. all matter. I can't factor those things in, but I can factor in objective measures like storage, disc drives, and performance.

I was reacting to a post that said a $399 PS5 digital would be a killer deal. It would be. It turns out, looking objectively, the Series X at $499 is also a killer deal using those same metrics. If you look at all the features you get, versus the price you pay.

You took that to be a sales pitch or some sort of qualification on which system is "better' which I never did.

A Hyundai in many cases is objectively a better *value* than a Toyota. An Android tablet can objectively be a better *value* than an iPad. Those statements can be true and not suggest that he other option is bad.

With 100 dollars I can buy nearly two games with the console, this is huge I don't think 18% more Tflops cut it. And Nintendo Switch is the worst Tflops per dollar but the most valuable part of a console is the games this is how Sony and Nintendo sold so many consoles.

Or we can use another ridiculous metric the GB/s per dollars...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

The post you reacted to included Sony's 1st party output as added value. Using the GPU as a value metric is a weird benchmark when Nintendo and Sony both have sold hundreds of millions of video game systems based on their software output rather than hardware strengths. Having the most powerful console means very little if you can't provide consumers software with it.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
With 100 dollars I can buy nearly two games with the console, this is huge I don't think 18% more Tflops cut it. And Nintendo Switch is the worst Tflops per dollar but the most valuable part of a console is the games this is how Sony and Nintendo sold so many consoles.

Or we can use another ridiculous metric the GB/s per dollars...

So Lockhart should be the most successful of all the consoles then. You can buy almost 4 games, and it will have the lowest TFLOPS.

xltrxrxch

Jun 15, 2020
British Columbia, Canada
Glad you said it, I was thinking the same thing.

We all know comparing TFLOPS between the two consoles are like comparing apples to oranges. And comparing storage numbers is no different. The PS5's 825GB SSD is vastly superior (2.9x faster) than the Series X's 1TB.

Comparing TFLOPS between these two consoles is valid given they have the same generation of AMD GPUs. I understand both are doing their own thing in terms of "special sauce", but it's still a good way to compare the raw performance of the systems.

I would also argue that, while the SSD is faster on the PS5, it won't take long to fill up an 825GB SSD with games (same as the Series X 1TB). Both consoles are going to be limited to whatever external SSD solutions are available (unless games start to shrink... but, like, have you seen how big CoD is?).

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Clearly it's not been planned well if this is the state of their launch lineup though. They should've waited until they had more games ready.

As it stands it feels like the console won't have it's proper launch until sometime late next year when Halo and possibly Forza hit.

Scorn
The Medium
The Ascent
Gears Tactics

Updates to new Xbox games like Tell Me Why and Battletoads.

These are games...they are ready. The concern posting is getting absurd. Also at no point was it said that Halo and/or Forza would be delayed until late next year.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
So Lockhart should be the most successful of all the consoles then. You can buy almost 4 games, and it will have the lowest TFLOPS.

Again this is not the game I want to play ;) and tens of millions of players on Sony and Nintendo consoles want to play. I don't see TLOU 2 or Spiderman or Zelda Breath of the wild on Lockhart consoles.

Exclusives games matter a lot, the king here is Nintendo but Sony progress.

EDIT: And using the Tflops percentage the PS5 advantage is huge and knowing i want a PS5 DE I am not sure the difference of price will be that big between Lockhart and PS5 DE maybe 3 or 2 games...

Last edited:

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Comparing TFLOPS between these two consoles is valid given they have the same generation of AMD GPUs. I understand both are doing their own thing in terms of "special sauce", but it's still a good way to compare the raw performance of the systems.

I would also argue that, while the SSD is faster on the PS5, it won't take long to fill up an 825GB SSD with games (same as the Series X 1TB). Both consoles are going to be limited to whatever external SSD solutions are available (unless games start to shrink... but, like, have you seen how big CoD is?).

It actually isn't - it's like making a purchase decision for a car on its top speed.

And not to pick (I fully acknowledge I am though lol), but in your argument about the SSD you end up in a wash anyway with regard to storage size. So it really is about the performance of that SSD controller. And IIRC Sony is doing their own version of Smart Delivery where you only keep the portion of the game on local storage that you are using, so that should cut down the size of some of these huge games anyway (I see you, CoD).

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Oh, they will. I mean, I did. Especially if a competitor's product can play 90% of the same games at a lower entry price.

A lot of people are also pinching pennies due to the pandemic and these are going to be costly machines. Many households are making sacrifices. $100 saved can go a long ways.

My income has been shot to bits, but even I won't make a decision to switch consoles because of $100.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

I would suggest avoiding engaging on this subject since people are obviously taking what you wrote and feeding their console war fanboyism. Your first post was clear and it made total sense, people just have some deep passion for their boxes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scorn
The Medium
The Ascent
Gears Tactics

Updates to new Xbox games like Tell Me Why and Battletoads.

These are games...they are ready. The concern posting is getting absurd. Also at no point was it said that Halo and/or Forza would be delayed until late next year.

Scorn has no release date

If you think those other games are a good enough line-up to ship a brand new next gen console then great, personally it's a very weak list and easily far inferior to Xbox 360 and Xbox One. That's just me, other people's mileage may vary.

Microsoft clearly bet big on Halo and it's blown up in their face, that's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket.

The fact Series X is poised to be even less enticing than Xbox One was at launch is not at all what MS will have wanted.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
I would suggest avoiding engaging on this subject since people are obviously taking what you wrote and feeding their console war fanboyism. Your first post was clear and it made total sense, people just have some deep passion for their boxes here.

Agreed. I thought I was making an objective point, but it's become apparent any suggestion one piece of hardware might be better value than the other on objective measures means the goalposts start to move towards other things. I'm going to step away from this discussion since I really wasn't trying to start a console war debate.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

That's one way to look at it. The $/TFLOP is definitely a fun metric to think about.

XSS: $74.55 per TFLOP (299/4)
PS5D: $38.74 per TFLOP (399/10.3)
PS5: $48.45 per TFLOP (499/10.3)
XSX: $41.58 per TFLOP (499/12)

For most people I think a $399 PS5 digital would be the "sweet spot". I kind of see it like a GTX 900-series situation with the consoles mapping out to the GPUs like this:

XSS = GTX 960
PS5 = GTX 970
XSX = GTX 980

The 960 was decent when it came out, but aged very poorly, while the 970 was fast enough to play games at high settings for many years after its release. The 980 was faster, but since the 970 offered most of the 980's performance for a more reasonable price, it was considered the best choice out of the three.

To put it another way, spending $100 to go from the Series S to the PS5 Digital nets you 6.3 more TF, while spending another $100 after that only gets you 1.7 more.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My income has been shot to bits, but even I won't make a decision to switch consoles because of $100.
I would need a compelling argument not to. There's a reason Microsoft talks up the value of Game Pass. I love Nintendo systems, but the fact their first-party games almost never go on sale is a strain on my wallet.

I'm platform agnostic. Ultimately, I go where the games go, and if the vast majority of the ones I want to play are on a system that's more affordable then it makes financial sense to go that route, and I imagine most casual buyers feel that way. Even without a pandemic going on.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still in the $500 PS5/XSX camp.

$400 PS5DE at a loss.
$300 XSS at a loss. If you're arguing that they'll shave $100 off for the optical drive in the PS5DE, then you should be willing to accept at least a $200 deficit due to less ram, 1/3 the TF, and a rumored lack of an optical drive. Those losses seem more steep than $200 though. Maybe $600 is right for the base consoles.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The PS5 DE gives huge flexibility on pricing to Sony knowing I will buy all games using PSN. On average, the first year buyer spent out of hardware 1600 dollars on games and network services on PS4 after five years, It means bigger profit with PS5 DE and if Sony release planning is better for the first half of the generation lifetime ARPU can be higher than 1600 dollars and with more digital sales generate a better profit.

Eric Lempel hint it is maybe the first year lineup for first-party they showed in a podcast interview with the PSblog. If this is true I will buy tons of games in 2020 and 2021.

And they can decide to cut prices later in the life of the consoles too. They have tons of options. The MSRP of PS4 goes down only 100 dollars in nearly 7 years.

soundcloud.com

Official PlayStation Podcast Episode 367: Play Has No Limits

Welcome back! Following this week's big PlayStation 5 reveal, we've got an interview with Eric Lempel, Head of Global Marketing and Consumer Experience. Plus! Kristen chats with Night School Studio ab

Last edited:

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
What I don't get is do next gen consoles HAVE to release in 2020? There's a pandemic, there's no shame in delaying next gen by a year. Neither Sony nor MS seem 100% ready to release these consoles (neither has a big flagship exclusive at launch), so why can't they wait a year? Price would go down and more games would be available.
But Microsoft is ready. They just reiterated they are releasing in November. There are a hell of a lot or reasons to want the next gen more powerful machine asap.

Upgraded performance to current games, updated graphics to a nice batch of BC games and at least 3 AAA 3rd party games releasing Next gen versions in November. Not to mention no more load times!

Can't wait.gif

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
People really don't like that Xbox made the more premium console this gen. If it comes in at the same price as PS5 it'll be an amazing deal. Series X at the same price as PS5 and Lockhart cheaper than everything puts MS in a great position.
I never saw so many posters come in with responses due to simple math. The only differentiations is the ssd and ram speeds. The systems have the same gpu and cpu architecture (which are the main components). But we seen less specs perform much better, like when Apple flagship goes against android flagships with much less ram.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
'$$ per flop... flop.... tflop...... Im not console warring...... tflop'
BossyOffensiveBadger.webp

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ

The original post he quoted was specifying dollars and cents towards a machine value based on components (DE at full spec v S at limited TF). So his post was regarding same.

You are talking about intrinsic value such as "I prefer sony games/machines" which is not relevant to that discussion

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think we would have known about the price right now if Lockhart wasn't a thing. It's a great idea though, get mass market audience to come in day 1 with a low cost low power system instead waiting for the price go down on the one version.

I'm personally glad Sony didn't go down this route, digital version is still the same PS5 but will generate far more profit in the long run. It's probably also the reason why Sony isn't showing their price first. They want to see what they can get away with and how it will compare to the Lockhart.

They have every reason to get mainstream market on board with digital edition just like MS has with Lockhart. If they can stay within 50 of Lockhart then the value will look far better too.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
In the recent Digital Foundry video, they are saying they are hearing rumors of next gen console prices being $600 or even more. Awful if true. Especially with possible $70 games and a lackluster lineup. Just in time for our major recession/pandemic.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
I liked Albert's analysis. It was a dispassionate look at a well-trodden topic.

I chuckled and appreciated the effort.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
In the recent Digital Foundry video, they are saying they are hearing rumors of next gen console prices being $600 or even more. Awful if true. Especially with possible $70 games and a lackluster lineup. Just in time for our major recession/pandemic.
Seriously? That would be a disaster.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
It actually isn't - it's like making a purchase decision for a car on its top speed.

And not to pick (I fully acknowledge I am though lol), but in your argument about the SSD you end up in a wash anyway with regard to storage size. So it really is about the performance of that SSD controller. And IIRC Sony is doing their own version of Smart Delivery where you only keep the portion of the game on local storage that you are using, so that should cut down the size of some of these huge games anyway (I see you, CoD).

Smart delivery is about a current gen version transitioning to the next gen version for no additional price. Not picking what you want installed

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020

God would that be a nightmare. Though I've been wondering if Sony would dare to go that high based on the tech they have in the PS5. By comparison, Microsoft seems to be going for economical power with a modest controller upgrade.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
If that is the case Microsoft might really undercut Sony. At 500 they won't but if the prices are that high of a price I can see them trying to undercut