• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
If you are picking one of these consoles up day one to play new stuff, neither Sony or MS has made the case. I will buy for the upgraded experience. I also expect many more game delays from both Sony and MS. This console gamer echo chamber we exist in that doesn't want to believe or understand that COVID-19 will massively impact game development is misguided. If you really think about it, we have seen very little from both of them, and nothing seems imminent. We don't even have a price or pre-orders available for anything. Maybe it's playing chicken, or maybe they are scrambling to finish. Time will tell. I expect a lot of half baked software at launch.

I believe I read somewhere that Covid will impact massively on games aiming for mid 2021 due to the timeline of game development and mocap studios, voice acting etc. So I am personally expecting a drought in mod to late 2021.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The games community is far too fixated on this notion of a console warz standoff for announcing price with very little consideration for the idea that neither company are confident enough in a 2020 launch to provide concrete details. It feels like that would be the obvious conclusion for any other kind of product attempting to launch during a pandemic.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or people could stop acting like preordering the console today would be any different to preordering the console next month, or the month after that.

turns out, its Not unreasonable to expect to be able to pre order a console three months out, or at least know the price. We are allowed to be vocal about it, no matter how much tone policing users like you try to use.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I only found out yesterday that MS didn't reveal the release date until mid September for the 360. So I guess my expectations were only based off of this gen.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
It will play every Xbox one game better in some way. It will be fine, there are a million things to play on this thing, not to mention big third party games. No need to delay it. Its just the same as a pc. You'll upgrade your console to get better performance.
It can play every Xbox game better, but there's a ton of software in there to utilize that hardware that might not be completely ready either. Only MS really knows what state the whole console and ecosystem is at this point.

I would not be surprised if MS is waiting to see just how solid the Sony launch package is (price, launch titles, and overall feel of the launch software) before deciding if they release the XSX this holiday.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Blame Apple for this. I recall a couple of interviews saying that mirroring apple's approach of very short period between price announcement and sale was intentional.

Its probably a good one for the broader market but will drive enthusiasts insane
Did they start this with the PRO? Saw earlier pro was revealed/priced in september and on sale in november.
The Switch had its price and release date announced on January 13th, exactly 7 weeks before it launched. That would put us at mid to late September.
PRO announced and priced ~2 months before release. No price til mid September here we come!
They were developing the new engine at the same time. The last game that I can think of that did this was MGSV and that game shipped unfinished.
SlipSpace isn't a new engine. It's the same engine they've been using and upgrading for a decade. Just as they did for 5 and 4 and games before.

The best for all is, that this gen, marketshare is as much similar al possible, like 360/ps3/wii days.
Hell yeah. We all should hope Xbox gains ground this generation, not stay where they are or fall further behind.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It can play every Xbox game better, but there's a ton of software in there to utilize that hardware that might not be completely ready either. Only MS really knows what state the whole console and ecosystem is at this point.

I would not be surprised if MS is waiting to see just how solid the Sony launch package is (price, launch titles, and overall feel of the launch software) before deciding if they release the XSX this holiday.

But why?

Even if PS5 launches with some banger lineup (which is highly doubtful given I only recall dates for a few games at that even), what benefit is it to hold back the XSX hardware until next year?

It just gives Sony a a completely uncontested head start.

Besides more so than any generation this generation is far more like upgrading a PC than a full on hardware refresh. In that sense playing the games you already on in 4K/60fps on a blazingly fast hard drive is the hook here at least in the early days. There is no Killzone or Ryse for this generation, nobody is taking these things home and showing it off to their friends or family because these things won't really be doing anything that we haven't already seen before.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

There is absolutely no fucking way Microsoft delays the XSX unless for some weird reason they are forced to. They'd basically be gifting Sony timed next-gen exclusivity on all of this year's upcoming big hitters such as Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, FIFA, Fortnite, Avengers etc. Just not happening.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
There is absolutely no fucking way Microsoft delays the XSX unless for some weird reason they are forced to. They'd basically be gifting Sony timed next-gen exclusivity on all of this year's upcoming big hitters such as Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, FIFA, Fortnite, Avengers etc. Just not happening.
I would say delaying your flagship title would be a "weird reason they are forced to". You can also play all those games you listed on the X1X, which is still as of right now the most powerful console available for third party games.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This next-gen launch feels so deflating at every turn. It's like we're constantly waiting for the 'big thing', only to have to keep waiting. Both systems have generally pretty poor launch lineups, and most third parties don't feel ready either with less big AAA third party launches than on a normal year (and those which are launching are pretty much current gen games that happen to be launching close to the the new systems).

I love video games and this industry, so I'll be there day one with my silly purchasing decisions. But it's almost feeling like another mid-gen refresh at this point, only with both doing their thing at the same time. I get the feeling both boxes should be delayed but neither will do that, given that from a hardware perspective both are still on track. Software wise though it's tough to feel hyped right now and we're 3 months away from a whole new console generation.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I would say delaying your flagship title would be a "weird reason they are forced to". You can also play all those games you listed on the X1X, which is still as of right now the most powerful console available for third party games.

It won't be the second the PS5 comes out. Microsoft can't delay the hardware no matter what. If the factories all explode and the boats full of consoles all sink, they still have to release whatever they have this fall.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not down about this like so many. The shit is coming out this holiday. And if you've been around for a bit, you shouldn't be expecting anything spectaular on launch day or even the first six months.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Atm i just see when it happens. Its abit annoying but isnt bad also for me. Info drops when it drops. Wil see.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atm i just see when it happens. Its abit annoying but isnt bad also for me. Info drops when it drops. Wil see.
Same. So many are talking about how they're so deflated about this next-gen launch, but I can't freaking wait. The hardware in both of these consoles is absolutely insane, far more advanced comparatively to when the PS4/XBO launched. That's all I need to know. The hardware is there. The games will inevitably come.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
It won't be the second the PS5 comes out. Microsoft can't delay the hardware no matter what. If the factories all explode and the boats full of consoles all sink, they still have to release whatever they have this fall.
I guess we'll see. I think they're going to delay it in order to give the teams time to polish the cross gen optimizations, but they could just release it anyways. This is kind of new territory for them.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Same. So many are talking about how they're so deflated about this next-gen launch, but I can't freaking wait. The hardware in both of these consoles is absolutely insane, far more advanced comparatively to when the PS4/XBO launched. That's all I need to know. The hardware is there. The games will inevitably come.
Yeah it seems like I'm the only one excited for the SSDs in these systems lol. That alone is a huge reason for upgrading for me

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I guess we'll see. I think they're going to delay it in order to give the teams time to polish the cross gen optimizations, but they could just release it anyways. This is kind of new territory for them.

The third parties are coming though. They will be ready. So Microsoft has to be ready with hardware or PS5 becomes the de facto next gen console this fall.

I know gamepass is the future and all that, but I don't think Microsoft is ready to concede being competitive on hardware completely. Not yet. The very existence of the Series X is them wanting to be competitive on hardware.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not urgency, that's convenience.

Preorders go up same time for everyone. It doesn't matter when they go up.

What? Literally ALL of this stuff is about convenience. Obviously none of it is urgent in the bigger picture. But in terms of the question you asked, 100% people feel the urgency for the exact reason I stated. We want to know we're getting one at launch.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already can't wait for the retrospectives we're going to get leading up to the launches of these consoles.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still very excited for the PS5... what with MilesM and Bugsnax, and hopefully they will have some other stuff, just a couple more titles (sackboy and ratchet???), and that will be enough for me mixed in with AC and Cyberpunk.

Hopefully sony had some smarts and made sure many of their own in-house games have PS5 patches that do a bit more than just resolution and frame rate... but im not convinced they've thought about that.

But I do agree with the sentiment of others that the lead into this new gen has been particularly strange. Hoping there is a bigger blow out of information soon, UI, games for launch, gameplay... features, price, date..backwards compatibility...... now is the time to throw that into one conference... you can always do a deeper dive after this on particular items, but once thats out there I think people will feel a lot better. Of course if they continue to drip feed, just expect people to get more frustrated.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Remember at the beginning of August when a bunch of insiders implied we were getting price reveals this month? Feels like years ago.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Remember at the beginning of August when a bunch of insiders implied we were getting price reveals this month? Feels like years ago.
I wonder if it's less a game of chicken a more a game of they don't want to seem tone deaf to the current economic situation. They may be waiting for other high priced items to be announced (new phones and other fall announced/released devices in time for the holiday season) before they throw in. Nobody wants to be seen as tone deaf to the current situations.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If there's any silver lining to this whole thing, this should be the last we hear of a number of insiders who have been throwing shit at the wall for months in the hope something sticks.

Especially the ones that got all offended when they were called out on their bullshit.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Stop making solid analysis that makes sense to me, i want to believe in $399

OT:
We need someone with experience to shed some light on this Albert Penello thoughts on this?
Could this really be a game of who goes first relative to the price or are we looking at something more?
Like covid affecting distribution channel or other aspects of the consoles launch?
Is the impact of going first really that crucial?
I really doubt it.

COVID will likely affect how many are available, but as far as price goes I believe it's all a game of chicken and that's it. All consoles from both platforms are going to sell out, so this is a long-term (and profit) play not a short-term market-share play.

Both companies know what price they want to sell the consoles for and did when they began development on them. PS5 Digital and whatever an Xbox Series S is, were probably both surprises to the other side. But the variables between SKU's and performance (and messages sent by both companies) are most likely why the other is waiting. Neither wants to be under-cut, and both would like to sell at the highest price possible. If you have statements from both companies saying they are going to wait, you try and hold tight to let the other guy go first.

It may be the biggest single decision of this gen - and it's a bigger decision for Sony than for Microsoft given the cascade effect on global price points. Especially when you can see reasonable scenarios that strongly favor Sony, or favor Xbox, depending on what the price points are.

As for $399 - I think it's perfectly plausible to see the PS5 Digital at $399 (assuming $499 for the Bluray version) and can come up with scenarios where that works for them economically despite the drive itself not costing very much. Recall the Xbox Digital was $100 cheaper under the same circumstances. So I'm still not ruling out $399 (and to be fair I've long been a believer that Sony would try to hit that pricepoint) but right now - all bets are off IMO. Anyone making bold predictions about price are just going to get lucky (or look foolish) since there are dozens of completely plausible scenarios.

Does that help?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Just delay till 2021 and create a huge hype train. Atm both launches are boring and I'm usually always excited for new stuff.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
COVID will likely affect how many are available, but as far as price goes I believe it's all a game of chicken and that's it. All consoles from both platforms are going to sell out, so this is a long-term (and profit) play not a short-term market-share play.

Both companies know what price they want to sell the consoles for and did when they began development on them. PS5 Digital and whatever an Xbox Series S is, were probably both surprises to the other side. But the variables between SKU's and performance (and messages sent by both companies) are most likely why the other is waiting. Neither wants to be under-cut, and both would like to sell at the highest price possible. If you have statements from both companies saying they are going to wait, you try and hold tight to let the other guy go first.

It may be the biggest single decision of this gen - and it's a bigger decision for Sony than for Microsoft given the cascade effect on global price points. Especially when you can see reasonable scenarios that strongly favor Sony, or favor Xbox, depending on what the price points are.

As for $399 - I think it's perfectly plausible to see the PS5 Digital at $399 (assuming $499 for the Bluray version) and can come up with scenarios where that works for them economically despite the drive itself not costing very much. Recall the Xbox Digital was $100 cheaper under the same circumstances. So I'm still not ruling out $399 (and to be fair I've long been a believer that Sony would try to hit that pricepoint) but right now - all bets are off IMO. Anyone making bold predictions about price are just going to get lucky (or look foolish) since there are dozens of completely plausible scenarios.

Does that help?

For those confused on why 399$ works, it's because all sales become digital (through Sony/Microsoft platform) which means they get a WAY higher cut of every game without losing money to retail. Lose money on the box, quickly make it through the games (and once you invest in digital it become so much easier to spend money in stuff like Battle Passes and all that...).

Penello, why do you think all bets are off? Because of Pandemic and uncertain economic situations?

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
For those confused on why 399$ works, it's because all sales become digital (through Sony/Microsoft platform) which means they get a WAY higher cut of every game without losing money to retail. Lose money on the box, quickly make it through the games (and once you invest in digital it become so much easier to spend money in stuff like Battle Passes and all that...).

Penello, why do you think all bets are off? Because of Pandemic and uncertain economic situations?

There are other reasons but this is a big one.

When I say "all bets are off" I just mean that we are so far away from normal timelines and historical launch practices - plus the desire to win on both sides is very strong - and the booming game business right now - means to me that nearly any set of price-points - even HIGHER than expected ones, wouldn't surprise me anymore. I wouldn't even be surprised if someone announced price then changed it later after they heard what the other side was doing. I"m no longer holding firm to any historical norms around anything regarding these launches :)

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

When I say "all bets are off" I just mean that we are so far away from normal timelines and historical launch practices - plus the desire to win on both sides is very strong - and the booming game business right now - means to me that nearly any set of price-points - even HIGHER than expected ones, wouldn't surprise me anymore. I wouldn't even be surprised if someone announced price then changed it later after they heard what the other side was doing. I"m no longer holding firm to any historical norms around anything regarding these launches :)
Oh so you're not even throwing out the idea of after-announcement price changes? That would be a bizarre sight haha. I still think it's better to come out with the lowest price points possible for the consoles right off the bat.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Does that help?

Appreciate the input!
Thank you.

Damn, the chicken wars.
I wonder how Sony would respond to MS delaying now, MS still have a console to reveal. They can't possibly wait much longer no?

Completely understand this, both companies probably know they can move units at a higher price tier and not leave money on the table but they'd also want to avoid a situation where the competition decides to do just that for market share.
Interesting stuff.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Oh so you're not even throwing out the idea of after-announcement price changes? That would be a bizarre sight haha. I still think it's better to come out with the lowest price points possible for the consoles right off the bat.

Nope.

Do I think it's likely? Not really. But heck there is a scenario where an exec could come out and say "Console X will be the same price as Console Y" and let the other guy make the move. Or announce and then just come back later and go "we want to deliver the best value for our customers and so we're matching XYZ"

Any of these cases would be historic, and in reality nobody outside the forums would remember in 6 months.

So I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

I'm not sure they should release at the lowest price. Within reason, both are going to sell out. People want consoles and right now it's a fantastic entertainment value. If it was about the lowest price, they could have done that already. I think the reason to wait is in hopes someone announces a higher price, not a lower one.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Appreciate the input!
Thank you.

Damn, the chicken wars.
I wonder how Sony would respond to MS delaying now, MS still have a console to reveal. They can't possibly wait much longer no?

Completely understand this, both companies probably know they can move units at a higher price tier and not leave money on the table but they'd also want to avoid a situation where the competition decides to do just that for market share.
Interesting stuff.

This 100%. See my other post I said the same thing.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

That'll be a first lol
But then again, we've had a lot of first this next gen launch.

No price or confirmed titles this close to launch is new.
This 100%. See my other post I said the same thing.

Seen.
Weird posting on mobile.
Thanks again for the input
Gotta love competition.

Oct 27, 2017
Recall the Xbox Digital was $100 cheaper under the same circumstances
While I agree, I think PS5 Digital will be $399 (but think regular could come at $449, but $499 is more likely of course) the Xbox One SAD launched at $250, only $50 less than the $299 MSRP of the One S. You may be confused by limited time sales. Generally speaking, SAD has always been $50 less, barring holiday sales.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

Agreed, best out with low price
But I think I read somewhere this might affect the amount of promotion or marketing they would push if they launch at a low price point and we know Jim has been signing checks for exclusive content everywhere!

PlayStation fans better brace for $499+ upwards lol

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
While I agree, I think PS5 Digital will be $399 (but think regular could come at $449, but $499 is more likely of course) the Xbox One SAD launched at $250, only $50 less than the $299 MSRP of the One S. You may be confused by limited time sales. Generally speaking, SAD has always been $50 less, barring holiday sales.

You're right - I thought it was the MSRP but it was in fact only offers.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Albert Penello do you have any opinion on the rumour of Sony doubling PS5 initial shipments to 10 million to the end of the FY and what it might indicate?

Also Sony's profit forecast shows a substantial hole that wouldn't be there at $499. Even a $399 DE and $499 disc should mean flat profit so the big loss doesn't add up unless it is for something else?

I do agree there is no doubt both would love to price at the highest they can get away with and if they based it on reading price threads here they would have already announced $499-$599 pricing but the market doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
It's in the interest of both companies to not undervalue their consoles. The gaming industry is supposedly booming, so why do they need to sell hardware at a loss?

I'm not suggesting they should price high. I think they should price at what they were aiming to achieve. And if they need to adjust lower they can. Starting too low means they can't go up.

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
Feel like MS could be the ones to get the ball rolling with Lockhart. It's going to be around 100 dollars cheaper than any other next gen option on the market, so they could get those early pre-orders in for people anxiously wanting to secure a next-gen console as early as possible.

They can be a little more flexible with Series X pricing announcement and wait to see if Sony make their move

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Albert do you have any opinion on the rumour of Sony doubling PS5 initial shipments to 10 million to the end of the FY and what it might indicate?

Also Sony's profit forecast shows a substantial hole that wouldn't be there at $499. Even a $399 DE and $499 disc should mean flat profit so the big loss doesn't add up unless it is for something else?

I do agree there is no doubt both would love to price at the highest they can get away with and if they based it on reading price threads here they would have already announced $499-$599 pricing but the market doesn't work like that.

Someone did an interesting analysis on Sony's financial outlook but I didn't look at it in depth, but I thought the conclusion was that Sony could afford $399 and hit their goals. However, increasing volumes also increases losses, so those points work counter to each other.

One problem is that we really don't know what the BOM is on the consoles. We have external reporting numbers, but historically I have found those to be wrong (not that they aren't good analysis) and even being wrong by 5% of 10% has a massive impact on how the math works.

I think, as always, Sony is bullish on their prospects and they should be. They've done the same in the past. I think that's a signal to investors and I'm not sure I believe it correlates directly to price - it may have more to do with what they do with PS4 and PS4 Pro availability.

I've said I don't think we're going to see these consoles come in over $500 at the top-end (again, all bets are off so we shall see) but so long as the top end boxes are under $500, and we have cascading prices down from there for the digital version and whatever else Xbox has in store, then I think 10M sell-in is achievable (remember that number isn't sold to customers) - especially if PS5 digital hits $399.

Oct 27, 2017
Albert Penello do you have any opinion on the rumour of Sony doubling PS5 initial shipments to 10 million to the end of the FY and what it might indicate?

Obviously I'm not the person you want to respond, but I think that initial report of Sony "struggling" to keep it below $450 was flawed because I don't believe the people who would be leaking that info would have any of knowing what long-term discounts Sony gets for those parts.

So the overall cost could look like $450 if you added up prices on the parts that most companies pay, i.e. companies aren't ordering nearly 50-100M of those parts over a 5+ year agreement, but I imagine both console makers get some discount since they're ordering so many parts.

That's just imo, and I am FAR from an expert on any of this.

EDIT: Great answer by Albert!

STech

Sep 24, 2018
then I think 10M sell-in is achievable (remember that number isn't sold to customers)

Well, the sell-is and sell-through numbers have been pretty close the entire generation for Sony, even more during the first year that were almost the same.

So if the 10 millions are distributed, probably will be sell too...

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Just say the prices already.

C'mon Phil and... Sony Phil equivalent.

Just stand on a stage together. Look into each others eyes. Count to three. Kiss. And say the damn price.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
$399 for the digital PS5 would be NUTS. At that price it would be by far the best value between the Series S, PS5DE, PS5 and Series X. Why pay $299 for a 4 TF console when you can get 10.3 TF plus access to Sony's excellent first party output for only $99 more?