• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Next month will still look like this:

hyMroA0.gif

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I dont think power does, I said it when PS4 was more powerful too, it's not the power of a console, it's the performance per dollar that's important. If the consoles come in at same price power will be an Influence as its effectively a higher performance per dollar, but if there is a price difference then it becomes a question of how much is the extra power worth? Of course in ps4 gen, ps4 had more power and lower price providing a far better performance per pound.

To clarify my prediction for 2020 is:

Series S 349
PS5 DE 399
PS5 449
Series X 499

Ps5 6 million
Series s/x 4 million. So I dont expect a 2:1 ratio, well not at launch

Why would anyone not just pay another $50 for a PS5 as opposed to Lockhart that is rumored to only be a 1080p console and 4 teraflops? Lockhart might be a digital unit as well.

Sorry, I just don't recall you saying they ever had strong messaging.

To distribution centers, not retailers.
I wonder how long they can hold off on pricing because retailers will be carrying 4 different Playstations to sell.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I dont think power does, I said it when PS4 was more powerful too, it's not the power of a console, it's the performance per dollar that's important. If the consoles come in at same price power will be an Influence as its effectively a higher performance per dollar, but if there is a price difference then it becomes a question of how much is the extra power worth? Of course in ps4 gen, ps4 had more power and lower price providing a far better performance per pound.

To clarify my prediction for 2020 is:

Series S 349
PS5 DE 399
PS5 449
Series X 499

Ps5 6 million
Series s/x 4 million. So I dont expect a 2:1 ratio, well not at launch
Ps4 sold 6.5 millions until March 2014. I don't think ps5 can do 6 millions this year and even Xbox 4 million. 3 millions for Xbox would be incredible.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, i though many said Microsoft was so ahead of Sony announcing stuff and giving info but I guess that's not exactly right.
Understandable because both platform holders need to nail it i guess, no any misstep must be avoided, and MS two recent shows, well.... That apparent security 6-8 months ago has vanished

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It makes zero sense for MS to reveal the Series S this month and not an associated price.

MS - "Hey everyone! Look at this box! It's weaker than the one we showed you before! Cool huh?"

Buyer - "Why would I buy that instead of the one you already showed me?"

MS - "Well it's less expensive!"

Buyer - "How much?"

MS - "It's the value tier of console for gamers who want a next gen experience at a lesser price!"

Buyer - "How much less? I don't even know how much the first box costs. How am I supposed to judge if it's a good value or something better for me?"

MS - "Did I mention it has Gamepass!?"

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I miss E3 and it's scheduled format where these mofos had no choice but to lay their plans out. 2013 was a better time

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I just don't recall you saying they ever had strong messaging.

I'd say things were fine up until the "cross-gen for the first few years" interview with Matt Booty. Since then the messaging's been getting poorer and more contradictory as time's gone on.

What really annoys me is MS showed the Series X first eight months ago and they're still waiting for Sony to make every move first since then (seems like). They still have an entire second, separate console to announce and launch is +/- three months away! Are they waiting for Sony to announce a secret other console first? I just don't understand what they're doing or what their strategy is anymore.

NightmareT

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
"look: for several hours now I have been told from credible sources the reason from posponed announcement . however due to the importance and sensitivity around the subject I have refrained from going on it. i don't feel comfortable with it currently."

This is the news right now about next gen XD

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It makes zero sense for MS to reveal the Series S this month and not an associated price.

MS - "Hey everyone! Look at this box! It's weaker than the one we showed you before! Cool huh?"

Buyer - "Why would I buy that instead of the one you already showed me?"

MS - "Well it's less expensive!"

Buyer - "How much?"

MS - "It's the value tier of console for gamers who want a next gen experience at a lesser price!"

Buyer - "How much less? I don't even know how much the first box costs. How am I supposed to judge if it's a good value or something better for me?"

MS - "Did I mention it has Gamepass!?"

Or they could just... announce the price? Someone has to go first.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'd imagine this could be the multiplayer reveal. though next month seems awfully optimistic :/

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Why would anyone not just pay another $50 for a PS5 as opposed to Lockhart that is rumored to only be a 1080p console and 4 teraflops? Lockhart might be a digital unit as well.

you wouldn't. If there's only a $50 difference between Lockhart and a PS5, even a digital one Lockhart is dead.

Lockhart is a $399 unit. The PS5 DE is going to be $479-$499, minimum. Can't see it going less than this.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally very patient but I'd be be lying if I said this game of chicken isn't getting obnoxious. My wallet is literally open waiting to preorder smh.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Sony will be adopting the "See price in cart" strategy from Newegg.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 sold 4 Million in 2013 and Xbox one 3 million.

I have a hard time to believe Xbox can repeat this numbers I expect something between 2-3 million at max.

With the Kinect at 499. Xbox will sell out per usual. By the time sales start to slow (if they slow) Halo comes out. People need to relax.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'd say things were fine up until the "cross-gen for the first few years" interview with Matt Booty. Since then the messaging's been getting poorer and more contradictory as time's gone on.

What really annoys me is MS showed the Series X first eight months ago and they're still waiting for Sony to make every move first since then (seems like). They still have an entire second, separate console to announce and launch is +/- three months away! Are they waiting for Sony to announce a secret other console first? I just don't understand what they're doing or what their strategy is anymore.

I don't think you ever understood or even agreed with their strategy, which is why I was a bit confused to hear you now say after the fact they had good messaging in the beginning.

Of course they are waiting for Sony and why wouldn't they? Sony loves to be reactionary (with Xbox) and they did a msterful job at the begginning of this generation. Obviously Microsoft does not want to be in that position again with pricing or power.

you wouldn't. If there's only a $50 difference between Lockhart and a PS5, even a digital one Lockhart is dead.

Lockhart is a $399 unit. The PS5 DE is going to be $479-$499, minimum. Can't see it going less than this.

Ideally Microsoft would love to undercut Sony on both ends with price but realistically I could see $500 Series X/PS5, $449 PS5 digital, and $349 Lockhart. For Lockhart to really have an impact it needs to be $299

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Maybe both Sony & Microsoft will actually delay the launch to 2021 when things have stabilized better worldwide.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I, honestly, believe the same.
These aren't incomplete video games. The designs are final and the consoles are being manufactured as we speak. The only reason they would be delayed at this point is if they chose to wait for a stronger launch lineup.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Both Sony and Microsoft are cowards. Fuck them.

I will buy their boxes eventually but fuck them.

My guess is we find out in mid september.

Otherwise its fuck that restraining order, I'm going back into IKEA and flipping all their tables again.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
These aren't incomplete video games. The designs are final and the consoles are being manufactured as we speak. The only reason they would be delayed at this point is if they chose to wait for a stronger launch lineup.

As it stands, this seems like one of the weakest launch periods for both new consoles.

The promise of big last gen games releasing around the same time (eg Cyberpunk), or earlier in the year (eg TLoU 2) running with better visuals/performance seems to be the bigger draw than native next-gen games at the moment.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The pitch for Xbox Series X at this point is:

"Same controller, Same UI, Same games."

It's just pretty insane.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Ps4 sold 4 Million in 2013 and Xbox one 3 million.

I have a hard time to believe Xbox can repeat these numbers I expect something between 2-3 million at max.
Ps5 will sell more than Ps4. If Xbox gap will stay the same as Xbox One, a failure that made Xbox stop giving official data on console sales, it's the opposite of what Xbox needed after this generation.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ideally Microsoft would love to undercut Sony on both ends with price but realistically I could see $500 Series X/PS5, $449 PS5 digital, and $349 Lockhart. For Lockhart to really have an impact it needs to be $299

as I said elsewhere those price points aren't realistic. The PS4 came in at $399 largely because it was the weakest console ever released relative the the market, with no BC functionality whatsoever. Even with that, if you adjust the cost of the PS4 for inflation you end up with a unit that's about $450 in current dollars.

Even with lockhart stripping out the disc drive and gimping the GPU, you are absolutely not getting a unit with the capabilities that system has (and it is in fact, demonstrably better than an XBO X) launching at an effective $100 less than the PS4, let alone $150 less launching at $299. Simply outrageous to imply it. Microsoft would lose their shirts on that unit and never make it back.

The PS4 launched at (an inflation adjusted) $450 and will cruise past 120 million units this year. Even if you assume that $399 is some sort of psychological barrier important to the marketplace, there is no reason to assume that the userbase is price sensitive enough that MS *has* to launch at $299. The PS5 even with the DE isn't coming close to $399 and MS knows this so going below that number doesn't make sense. It's simply too advanced a system. You sell your product for whatever will move the most units at a price that won't hurt you.

Lockhart is $399 minimum.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably the halo infinite delay wrecks all their plans and they're looking to come up with a new marketing pitch for the console that can work without a tentpole game or any next gen exclusives.

that and they probably REALLY want to undercut Sony.