• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe there was a time in IGN's history when a review with the phrase "flat out sucks" was considered acceptable journalism.

I'm genuinely not understanding the problem here. Is it because of some perceived idea that it's not "professional"? Does a person need a monocle and a smoking jacket before they can be trusted?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
God Hand was one of those games where people who don't get it, won't ever get it.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Which is why... there's a whole, full-length, 1000+ word review you can read? If all you're doing is glancing at the blurb next to the number then of course you're not going to get any context.

That's the thing. The whole review, from the score to the summary, is problematic. It's not impossible or even remotely difficult to criticize God Hand in a thoughtful and well-supported matter. The juvenile language used in the blurb is just the icing on the cake.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did capcom give Shinji like a 100 bucks to make this? I mean it's a cool game but it feels like Shinji made it a lone in a closet.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing. The whole review, from the score to the summary, is problematic. It's not impossible or even remotely difficult to criticize God Hand in a thoughtful and well-supported matter. The juvenile language used in the blurb is just the icing on the cake.

So... like I said, a smoking jacket and a monocle.

You can say something "is shit" or you can say something "is bad" and just because one review uses "shit" doesn't mean the opinion is any less valid. Alternatively, using a thesaurus when writing doesn't make one's opinion more correct just because they used more complicated words to say it.

I get it. You don't agree with the guy. I don't really agree with him, either. But don't grasp at straws as a way to justify a flimsy excuse to invalidate his opinion. If he didn't have fun playing God Hand, then he didn't have fun. It's not the end of the world. And it certainly wasn't the end of Shinji Mikami's career.

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame what happened to Clover, but I guess in the end it turned out well for most of the developers, with PlatinumGames and Tango Gameworks becoming studios creating quality titles. I haven't tried God Hand myself, but I'm very much intrigued by it. If nothing else, Mikami and the rest at Clover left a legacy behind that can only be matched by very few developers.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame what happened to Clover, but I guess in the end it turned out well for most of the developers, with PlatinumGames and Tango Gameworks becoming independent studios creating quality titles. I haven't tried God Hand myself, but I'm very much intrigued by it. If nothing else, Mikami and the rest at Clover left a legacy behind that can only be matched by very few developers.

Tango are owned by ZeniMax.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never got to play God Hand. What's the best way to try it out? There is a God Hand game on Steam, but I don't think that's it. It looks horrible.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Even in this thread, you see one of the problems with reviews in the medium (you see it with some film genres, but it's pervasive among games). Some people have a hard time separating their personal feelings about a game from review scores, as if review scores are some kind of concrete objective measure of quality and a bad or critical score is an attack on their opinion. In sum and substance, the attitude comes across it can't be a X/10 because I think it's 10/10. Combine that with the notion that certain games "deserve" certain scores, and you get a ceaseless mix of resentment and validation and reactionary indignation. Crackdown 3 was the most recent example of that cycle

I mean, this is literally a post in this thread, 13 years after the fact
It's a blemish on IGN's reputation that they'll maybe never wash clean. One of the best games ever made.

Can't see how IGN could ever fully redeem themselves unless it gets a remaster

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I never got to play God Hand. What's the best way to try it out? There is a God Hand game on Steam, but I don't think that's it. It looks horrible.
Sadly the best option is to play the PS2 original. After that, the PS2 Classics version on PS3 is also acceptable (but has minor framerate issues), third option is to tweet at Capcom to do a remaster.

The game of the same name on Steam is a different game.

you get a ceaseless mix of resentment and validation and reactionary indignation.

And sometimes even hyperbolic overreaction bordering on satire.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly the best option is to play the PS2 original. After that, the PS2 Classics version on PS3 is also acceptable (but has minor framerate issues), third option is to tweet at Capcom to do a remaster.

The game of the same name on Steam is a different game.
Okay, thanks. Looks like I won't get a chance to try it then. Unless there is a PS2 Classic that releases with God Hand. LOL!

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Most people who'd say something like "In what universe is this a 3/10?" abou their work, I'd consider clueless arrogant twits, but Mikami is right on the money.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So... like I said, a smoking jacket and a monocle.

You can say something "is shit" or you can say something "is bad" and just because one review uses "shit" doesn't mean the opinion is any less valid. Alternatively, using a thesaurus when writing doesn't make one's opinion more correct just because they used more complicated words to say it.

I get it. You don't agree with the guy. I don't really agree with him, either. But don't grasp at straws as a way to justify a flimsy excuse to invalidate his opinion. If he didn't have fun playing God Hand, then he didn't have fun. It's not the end of the world. And it certainly wasn't the end of Shinji Mikami's career.

I actually didn't enjoy God Hand, either, so the author's opinion is closer to mine. I've also personally chatted with Mikami about God Hand itself and had the opportunity to tell him why I couldn't get into the game. I also heard from him directly, of course.

However, I will not hand-wave subpar writing and journalism, especially from what was pretty much the top gaming media outlet at the time and may still be today, depending on the metrics used to measure. It's a bad look and doesn't deserve to be taken seriously when there are other more eloquent and meaningful ways to express a viewpoint that's actually helpful in the end. Your fixation on word choice is missing the point entirely.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Most critics praised godfather back than. That must not mean that everyone must praise the movie and especially Brandon's performance. That a performance of an actor is good or bad is not something set in stone, it is in many aspects only an opinion, as is the evaluation of any work of art. Thank God there are different opinions, otherwise art would be boring.

Anyway, the movie godfather has nothing to do with a mediocre game called God Hand, that got many negative reviews.
Comparing God Hand to The Godfather?

I...uh...really don't know what to say to that.

Guys, what I'm saying is that a single negative review for a movie isn't treated as a big deal. There were critics that disliked even instant classics like The Godfather, but no one remembers who gave them or why because critics are allowed to have different opinions. Gaming is weird, and our attitude towards reviews is unhealthy.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That babies game God Hand comparison image never made sense. They are entirely different games, so the scores don't mean the same thing in this regard.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think my problem with the review is that he didn't really got that far into it. In the first version of the review he stated that he only got to stage 2 before quitting, but got removed soon after people got notice of it. That's basically like reviewing Pokemon after defeating the first gym.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
People really don't "get" Godhand and it's depressing. Watch the Best Friends LP if you want to see what the game is really about.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People really don't "get" Godhand and it's depressing. Watch the Best Friends LP if you want to see what the game is really about.

I haven't played this game yet but I want to say that sometimes the best of games are just ones that won't resonate with the mainstream audience and honestly that's fine.

Def will check it out someday.