• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
People are really coming around on Tim with his recent video work. I remember a time when folks would dismiss most of his writing out right.

It's not inconceivable that someone wouldn't enjoy God Hand and score it as such. Always find these long lasting review scars strange. If you enjoyed it, bully for you!

On that ntoe, the VideoGaiden God Hand review is the tops. Consolevania and VG are the best video game reviews going.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having now watched the video I don't think I've seen a critic out there with a greater love and appreciation for Japanese games like Tim. His verbose writing exudes so much enthusiasm it's palatable. His robotic enunciation can only barely hide his power levels.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game is really janky but it never felt like a game that deserved a 3 on it's release. But I don't know if I can fault the reviewer for not understanding the game fully, but they should have had someone who plays action games to review it.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i get the praise of the game, since it's a cult game, but even cult movies or bands are relatively "for a specific" taste, so i understand the score and how Mikami feels.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not defending the content itself, but the game came out in 2006. The various jokes and stereotypes it used were much more acceptable back then.

Heck, I played Urban Chaos: Riot Response recently. That game glorifies militarizing police and their brutality to uncomfortable degrees, but it was also a game of its time being made shortly post 9/11 and such.

Accepted, maybe, but not acceptable. It's important to remember that even though bigotry and prejudice has been mainstream and commonplace at various points of history, that material always hurt and victimized people.

The difference between something being widely accepted versus being acceptable is important because the latter suggests people only decided the content was offensive recently. This isn't true. It's correct to say "this was much more accepted back then" - but it's never been acceptable to the people it denigrates. It's good we've come a long way, but we shouldn't make excuses for material that alienated just as many people in 2006 than it would today. Just my two cents.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, God Hand really isn't a great game, it has a very good combat system according to friends who like the game but everything else is pretty much trash. Which is kind of typical of lots of low budget Japanese games because their game design is make game mechanics first than try to fit everything else around it afterwards.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
God Hand is every bit deserving of being considered the greatest action game with the likes of Bayonetta, DMC, and Ninja Gaiden.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 era beat em ups (I guess DMC1, 3 and NG, NGB?)

I would say gameplay holds up better now than DMC1 does but DMC1 is 5 years older and birthed the genre. Especially the customizing, growing harder as you succeed, devs knowing ppl will run no hit and no godhand/roulette runs so they do a kick me sign on you lol. It was a great parody/love letter to the young genre.

I remember the homophobia, can't remember racism?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This shinji mikami guy needs to play imagine: party babyz. Then maybe he'd be able to make a good game
nGMrD.gif

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
weird how mikami was afraid of the reaction to a new game after reaching the status of legend with the re franchise. and from one site on the other side of the world.

Any tim rogers make great videos. He is the reverse zero punctuation and perfect at it.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
God Hand is one of my favorite games and I am taking notes on who has bad taste.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Honestly, how do we know he actually said it? I heard this already when it was published and didn't think much of it. Thought it might be a funny story he's telling to keep his video entertaining. Kind of like a comedian

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's really not, but also review numbers are arbitrary and meaningless + the industry's focus on metacritic numbers is a cancer, so it's like, whatever.

Yeah I tried to play GodHand and I was pretty frustrated by it. I put down my problems with it to the way that the adaptive difficulty system works. I double-checked with the HG101 article on the game, and they agree that if you actually get into the hardest difficulty then the game because shitty and frustrating. I seem to remember that happening when I tried to get through the first level. It's definitely not on the level of something like DMC or Bayonetta. I seem to recall having to sandbag during the first stage in order to get past the first boss. It took me maybe like a dozen tries and by that point I had been soured enough that I didn't bother to go back. It may be better than a lot of its peers but it definitely replicates a lot of jank from other brawlerish sorts of games. I'm not at all surprised to hear it's secretly a Grasshopper game, because it really does feel like an attempt to replicate Clover/Platinum ideas from a studio that got its reputation from weird, janky comedy and wrestling games.

Also even if electric types are relatively rare in Hoenn there is still the lotad line, which due to its dual grass-water typing is both very resistant to and carries moves strong against water types. Playing through the original games I pretty much wiped the floor with Ludicolo, and the few pokemon I couldn't tended to be weak to one or the other types Blaziken had, so the other 4 team members I had were practically afterthoughts. I don't recall my experience with the remake being all that different, really. Maybe even easier because I felt no need to hoard TMs.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
It's fun, but no way. Not even close.
God Hand is super turbo mega jank, cult status or not.
Nah, it's fun but that's all
Nah it's pretty exceptional bois

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAclnNiusw&t=2s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c6AJw6T5Mlc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KEa972A6d_4

The depth is there and as far as it's position in the genre, it has a far more involved neutral game than the other titans of the genre.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Nah it's pretty exceptional bois

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAclnNiusw&t=2s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c6AJw6T5Mlc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KEa972A6d_4

The depth is there and as far as it's position in the genre, it has a far more involved neutral game than the other titans of the genre.

Fun? Sure. More involved neutral game . . . maybe? Even still. That doesn't make it good. My problem with the go. Taking on multiple enemies is a pain, and overall it's still a pretty clunky.

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Whatever the substance of the video is and how he feels about DMCV, the title of the video is asking for as much ignorant hate and attention as possible tbh

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Godfather review said:
Hurricane Marlon is sweeping the country, and I wish it were more than hot air. A tornado of praiseā€”cover stories and huzzahsā€”blasts out the news that Brando is giving a marvelous performance as Don Corleone in The Godfather, the lapsed Great Actor has regained himself, and so on. As a Brando-watcher for almost 30 years, I'd like to agree.

But from his opening line, with his back toward us, Brando betrays that he hasn't even got the man's voice under control. (Listen to the word "first." Pure Brando, not Corleone.) Insecurity and assumption streak the job from then on. They have put padding in his cheeks and dirtied his teeth, he speaks hoarsely and moves stiffly, and these combined mechanics are hailed as great acting. I don't see how any gifted actor could have done less than Brando does here. His resident power, his sheer innate force, has rarely seemed weaker. His gift of mental transformation, the conviction that the changes are interior and that the externals merely reflect them, is not nearly as strong here as in, say, The Young Lions or Viva Zapata or On the Waterfront or Teahouse of the August Moon. He is handicapped by poor makeup: his hair is not gray enough and his hairline ought to have been altered so that he doesn't constantly suggest Brando. But the real fault is his own: his laxness, sloth. He has become so lazy in recent years that he is willing to take intent for deed. Corleone has no moments of outburstā€”the Brando trademark, the leap of flame out of menacing quietā€”so his dominance has to come from imagination; muscled by concentration. What Brando manufactures is surfaceā€”studied but easy effects.

--Stanley Kaufman's review of The Godfather, in the New Republic, March 31, 1972.

https://newrepublic.com/article/101783/the-godfather-decline-marlon-brando

review said:
The success of The Godfather is deplorable, if you believe that popular entertainment both reflects and modifies social morale. In a sentence, the picture forces you to take sides, to form allegiances, in a situation that is totallywithout moral substance. It chilled me to hear an audience roar its approval when a young gangster on "our" side blew the brains out of two gangsters on "their" side. The ethical problem is to choose between typhus and cholera and I found that flogging about for three hours in that quagmire was spiritually debilitating and a crazy waste of time.

Robert Hatch's review of The Godfather, published in The Nation

https://www.thenation.com/article/godfather/

Yeah, it was when I read these guys that I learned that movie reviewers KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MOVIES! How could these "critics" possibly come to such a wrong conclusion as that Brando's performance in the Godfather was trite and dulled, when it is acknowledged both by critics and by moviegoers to be one of the best performances in the history of cinema? These are supposed to be critics! THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN OPINION!

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Fun? Sure. More involved neutral game . . . maybe? Even still. That doesn't make it good. My problem with the go. Taking on multiple enemies is a pain, and overall it's still a pretty clunky.
You're right it's depth n enemy design makes it good. But what's clunky about it? There isn't any actual delay on the commands, side steps, backflips, n ducks are handled immediately with generous I-frames, the camera works overtime to eliminate the walls behind gene to keep you in the action, and your commands themselves are customizable to suit your play style. With a consistent outcome on each hit, stagger, counter hit, launch, etc.

Enemy hits are properly telegraphed both with visual wind ups and audio cues n what not, and you actually have to account for multiple enemies, as opposed to beating up one while the others watch.

It's certainlu got the middle market looks and pales in comparison to the other greats in terms of how fluid the animations are, but the technical play is there, and the spacing game and Ability to find holes in the enemies attack strings are an aspect that other action games don't really offer.

I don't know what this nebulous metric god hand is failing that stops it from being good, but I lean closer to the department of great gameplay and a great game tend to go hand in hand.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
You're right it's depth n enemy design makes it good. But what's clunky about it? There isn't any actual delay on the commands, side steps, backflips, n ducks are handled immediately with generous I-frames, the camera works overtime to eliminate the walls behind gene to keep you in the action, and your commands themselves are customizable to suit your play style. With a consistent outcome on each hit, stagger, counter hit, launch, etc.

Enemy hits are properly telegraphed both with visual wind ups and audio cues n what not, and you actually have to account for multiple enemies, as opposed to beating up one while the others watch.

It's certainlu got the middle market looks and pales in comparison to the other greats in terms of how fluid the animations are, but the technical play is there, and the spacing game and Ability to find holes in the enemies attack strings are an aspect that other action games don't really offer.

I don't know what this nebulous metric god hand is failing that stops it from being good, but I lean closer to the department of great gameplay and a great game tend to go hand in hand.

You're the one who put it on the level of Ninja Gaiden, DMC and Bayonetta so yeah, good? Sure. Not on their level, though.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
And why exactly isn't it on their level? Because responding to someone else's opinion ultimately to end any sort of convo with "hur dur because imo it isn't" would be silly.

Going back to the clunkiness, IMO, the biggest drawback of God Control is the claustrophobic combat and how poorly it handles multiple enemies. It's one thing to have multiple enemies coming out you, it's another thing if the games own system restricts you from being able to handle that Even though NInja Gaiden had questionable angles in its game, it's nowhere nearly as obtrusive as in God Hand and you never feel so closed in. There is very little interesting about the level design as well in comparison.

Having a button dedicated to turning around? Bleh.

And the controls are not nearly as precise as you say it is, let alone on the level of Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta and DMC. They have pristine responsiveness and controls, and God Hand just doesn't. I just can't take a comparison like that seriously. Sorry.

It's fun game, though.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I have fond memories of god hand. I'm not saying it's a 3/10 or anything but as an overall package it was average at best. Fun combat but that's about it. A solid 6.

Man I do wish Mikami made more action games tho. Would love a Vanquish sequel

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Going back to the clunkiness, IMO, the biggest drawback of God Control is the claustrophobic combat and how poorly it handles multiple enemies. It's one thing to have multiple enemies coming out you, it's another thing if the games own system restricts you from being able to handle that Even though NInja Gaiden had questionable angles in its game, it's nowhere nearly as obtrusive as in God Hand and you never feel so closed in. There is very little interesting about the level design as well in comparison.

Having a button dedicated to turning around? Bleh.

And the controls are not nearly as precise as you say it is, let alone on the level of Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta and DMC. They have pristine responsiveness and controls, and God Hand just doesn't. I just can't take a comparison like that seriously. Sorry.

It's fun game, though.
Level design in these type of games serve little more than being flat boxes to fight dudes. Visually dull? Sure, but dmc isn't exactly above having some dull looking spaces.

Having a dedicated turn button is great, it's exactly something like what Resident Evil, especially 4 use to help in tight situations. Disliking its existence is fine, but it's not exactly a poor mechanic nor are you lacking a tool to handle situations. It's on the player to adapt n use their tools. Shit the new Dad of War has a quick turn, and it's plenty useful.

Nothing about God Hands systems restrict dealing with multiple enemies, you have 3 forms of defensive moves, you have commands with large enough hitboxes to hit stun multiple enemies, power moves for crowd control, and a quick turn no less for dealing with stuff behind you.

Additionally God Hand because of its camera is less likely to have the obstructive camera angels of Ninja Gaiden since the camera in NG is trying to squeeze in behind ryu and a wall. Gene's camera sees through the wall or erases the wall completely.

You're right it's not as responsive as Bayonetta since it runs at half the frames, but it is by no means unresponsive either. By any measure of response times of 30 frame games, gene executes his commands at a button press.

So long as Genes feet are planted any of his attacks can be dodge canceled, so on top of being able to reset pressure you can also bail yourself out in a pinch.

You have the radar system to keep track of surrounding enemies.

It's fine that you don't think God Hand belongs in the group, but just the same I'm not gonna take the "games not built for multiple enemies" as a valid argument seriously, when mid to high level play clearly shows it's plenty manageable.

The game does however teach itself poorly and isn't anywhere close to one of the more accessible games in the genre. I myself had to be taught up a bit, but once you get the systems, it's every bit as legit as any other great Mikami game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's well established at this point that people into character action games have an inferiority complex.
To be fair, that tweet isn't exactly inaccurate when it comes to Tim Rogers's review style. I got sick of it years ago when it became painfully obvious that I'd have to dig through seven levels of irony and self-aggrandizing to get to the actual review. Yes, the wider negative response to that one bit of the DMCV video was a misinterpretation, but it also doesn't surprise me, because Rogers's presentation style not is not anything I personally find in any way entertaining or endearing. It's just off-putting and obnoxious.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I have fond memories of god hand. I'm not saying it's a 3/10 or anything but as an overall package it was average at best. Fun combat but that's about it. A solid 6.

Man I do wish Mikami made more action games tho. Would love a Vanquish sequel

Agreed. It clearly has some passionate fans, though, lol.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How could these "critics" possibly come to such a wrong conclusion as that Brando's performance in the Godfather was trite and dulled, when it is acknowledged both by critics and by moviegoers to be one of the best performances in the history of cinema

Most critics praised godfather back than. That must not mean that everyone must praise the movie and especially Brandon's performance. That a performance of an actor is good or bad is not something set in stone, it is in many aspects only an opinion, as is the evaluation of any work of art. Thank God there are different opinions, otherwise art would be boring.

Anyway, the movie godfather has nothing to do with a mediocre game called God Hand, that got many negative reviews.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the deal, though. As much as I think IGN completely missed the mark on their God Hand score, I think it's necessary to stand by that score and honor it. As critics, it cannot be their job to get soft on games just because they're worried about tanking a developer's career, even if it's Shinji Mikami. Game criticism is not a charity.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hard to believe there was a time in IGN's history when a review with the phrase "flat out sucks" was considered acceptable journalism.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I love God Hand, but it has a very unique approach to the brawler/character action genre. There was nothing like it, even now there's no game that followed it steps. Is a bit like PN03 that required players think outside the box and the normal conventions in controls from usual shooters and action games. They are some of the most unique games in their respective genres with it several unique idiosyncrasies that makes them hard to get into.

I think both, PN03 and God Hand are really good games, but definitely could see why they reviewed bad, even if they are exceptional designed.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, what's more ridiculous?:

A- A single person gave an individual game an outlier review

B- Untold amounts of people hang onto and constantly reference a single review score from a single site for over a decade.