• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In Tim Rogers' video "Devil May Cry 5 is the Holy Grail of Trash" (which had some DMC fans seething for some reason), Tim Rogers revealed some interesting things:

First is that he worked at Grasshopper Manufacture (Suda51's studio) for several years as a game designer.
Second is that he played God Hand with Shinji Mikami at his desk, which is interesting because while it is known Grasshopper was the sound team for God Hand (theymade the music), it makes me wonder if they weren't shadow developers for the game too.

Third, and most importantly, is that Shinji Mikami apparently was upset over the 3/10 review from IGN around the time of the game's release, which is probably one of the most infamous reviews of all time at this point.

Footage here:

I thought it was something interesting to note, that Mikami was affected by this review. Other reviews were fierce too, with one of them basically saying "It's a shame that this had to be Clover's last title, but if God Hand was the best they could do, I can certainly see why they're not around anymore.".

I still contend that God Hand is one of the best games of all time, what say you ERA ?

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And then IGN gave its position as top 100 PS2 game.......

Legendary title for sure, it's stood through time.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Game reviewers have to play dozens of games a week so it was always unlikely that God Hand was going to click with many reviewers but the IGN review is a clear case of a reviewer only giving surface level critiques because the production values were so low.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mikami was right.
manny.png

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
This shinji mikami guy needs to play imagine: party babyz. Then maybe he'd be able to make a good game

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Watched the video review the other day because apparently it angered a bunch of fans and I gotta say that entire Mikami bit is fucking hilarious

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I would like to see if the reviewer still feels it is a 3/10.
"Not following the trends we currently celebrate in the industry. 3/10".

I mean, they gave Code Veronica HD 3.5/10 too. Not gonna call that game a masterpiece but 3.5 to me sounds like a game that either barely works or some load of wank someone mashed together without a clue.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'm glad you get to bring back some good old GodHand nostalgia in DMC5 with barlog because it feels so goooooooooooooooooooood

Speaking of the 3/10 when the review for Godhand was originally posted all those years the ago the reviewer could not get past the first two or so stages and reviewed it based off that then deleted that part of the review.

Funny times.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Grasshopper being shadow devs for God Hand would explain so fucking much tbh

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I wished Mikami could read this thread. Because God Hand is hands down the best beat em up title ever made.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
God Hand showed the flaws of game review. If you want honesty then media sites should move to panel style or dual reviews.

Someone familiar with Stylish Action Games
Someone unfamiliar with Stylish Action Games

For certain games, you give it to someone who has no background to the style of gameplay or no knowledge of the series then review ends up butchered because they have no idea what they are judging nor having a reference to how a game compares to its peers.

At the same time, there is also value to a game being reviewed with fresh noob eyes and no attachments.

There needs to be a balance

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
In that era I basically followed IGN's guidance. I completely avoided it because of that review, which is a damn shame.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also, how are people mad at that Tim Rogers video. It's fucking spot on. Devil May Cry is fantastic trash the same way John Wick is fantastic trash.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Also, how are people mad at that Tim Rogers video. It's fucking spot on. Devil May Cry is fantastic trash the same way John Wick is fantastic trash.
Manchildren and reading comprehension is non-existent, Tim Rogers literally said it was his GOTY so far but they saw red because they thought DMC was a Faustian masterpiece. I mean just look at that

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized Balrog movesets are freaking God Hand.....now I know why it's so familiar lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Was there something wrong with their Godhand review (like criticizing that football manager game isn't as good as playing it), or are people just disapproving because the reviewer didn't enjoy it?

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Not following the trends we currently celebrate in the industry. 3/10".

I mean, they gave Code Veronica HD 3.5/10 too. Not gonna call that game a masterpiece but 3.5 to me sounds like a game that either barely works or some load of wank someone mashed together without a clue.

Do people seriously still not understand how fucking reviews work for sites like IGN

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I thought cutting off his own head would have ruined his career more

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's really not, but also review numbers are arbitrary and meaningless + the industry's focus on metacritic numbers is a cancer, so it's like, whatever.
I utterly love this game and the depth and energy it has is incredible and unmatched to this day. I agree with everything you say though, metacritic couldn't die soon enough

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
TIL Mikami worked on God Hand. All this time I thought Inaba was the only director.

The game is rough around the edges and doesn't feck around so you have to get used to the battle mechanics fast... but holy crap, does it feel good when you get the hang of it. Doing a good run makes you feel like a god.

The IGN review was, simply put, not Alexander.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Well there is a mob of people who will laugh and point at IGN until its turned to dust so we got a mass of internet spite that will last through out the generations.
All the hope i've got in any God Hand sequel will be fan made in Dreams for the PS4 or someone with money who likes the gameplay.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Manchildren and reading comprehension is non-existent, Tim Rogers literally said it was his GOTY so far but they saw red because they thought DMC was a Faustian masterpiece. I mean just look at that

So basically video game fans being reactionary as ever and already thinking they know what Tim was gonna say by reading the title of the video. Why am I not surprised?

kyoP

Oct 26, 2017
I miss God Hand so much, can't believe it went over the head of so many journalists. Let me pay for that game again, you hear me, Capcom?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not disagreeing with the man baby comment at all, but the dude puts his resume at the beginning of every video and is absurdly self indulgent. Ridiculous fanboys aside, he does tend to make things about himself and obviously really, really, really thinks everything he writes is a gem. Why else would he not edit, you know, ANYTHING.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God Hand showed the flaws of game review. If you want honesty then media sites should move to panel style or dual reviews.

Someone familiar with Stylish Action Games
Someone unfamiliar with Stylish Action Games

For certain games, you give it to someone who has no background to the style of gameplay or no knowledge of the series then review ends up butchered because they have no idea what they are judging nor having a reference to how a game compares to its peers.

At the same time, there is also value to a game being reviewed with fresh noob eyes and no attachments.

There needs to be a balance
hmm so basically famitsu?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Well, playing God Hand was a really important moment for me. It was one of the first times I realized that these people who get paid to give us their opinions on games sometimes really have no fucking clue what they're talking about - something that they confirmed many, many times after that.