• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
well now i'm curious cause i want to know what a bear'em'up is

DiligentBiodegradableGeese-max-1mb.gif

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It's time for God Hand 2: God Hander
Before he joined Bethesda, he said he wanted to make a sci-fi Mass Effect kind of game. Bethesda wanted him to make a horror game first because, you know, you don't build a development studio around Shinji Mikami and ask him to make something not-horror.

But I'm guessing they didn't give him that chance since he stopped directing immediately after.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
Dude has not leverage to have this statement out there. We should be past the point of writing "blank checks" to game directors. They almost produce no value.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Damn these comments are really still happening in 2020 huh. Its not 2016 anymore. Every single microsoft studio has complete creative freedom
While yes MS studios across the board seemingly have an equal level of creative freedom now, let's not pretend like MS studios didn't previously have this in the last 20 years. Bungie pretty much acted like an independent studio inside of MS, Rare didn't get told to make Viva or Nut's and Bolts etc. Of course it hasn't always been equal across the studios, whiling ebbing and flowing in time. But writing of 14 years of their internal studios management as creatively strict and controlled, in comparison to this more free management style of the last 4-5 years is very misleading.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
The last part of his Archipel interview gave me the impression that he wasn't completely out tbh, i suppose he is just looking inspiration first.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
Before he joined Bethesda, he said he wanted to make a sci-fi Mass Effect kind of game. Bethesda wanted him to make a horror game first because, you know, you don't build a development studio around Shinji Mikami and ask him to make something not-horror.

But I'm guessing they didn't give him that chance since he stopped directing immediately after.

A sci-fi mass effect type game from a Japanese dev sounds like literally Microsofts dream game tbh

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an opportunity Phil, just sign a blank cheque! Do it, fucking make it rain!

Dec 15, 2017
Let him make a tank controlled survival horror game with pre rendered backgrounds and backtracking. Us old time fans have been waiting for this for 15 years.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think he should make his dream game and John Johanas should be given the reins to The Evil Within series. This is the best of both worlds imo.

Of course, you can't just snap two teams able to make AAA games out of existence. I think they only have the budget and manpower to make one game at a time.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He should return to his original idea for tango were the vets made a big game and the newcomers developed 2 smaller ones, In sure that MS would love to claim that they have 3 japanese games

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
He's almost certainly saying this because of the Zenimax buyout, and hopefully he will be able to get his wish once it's complete. I know consolidation is nothing to cheer for, but if he gets the budget to make his dream game, I'll be happy regardless

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Has to be different from mass effect itself too and I guess whatever starfield turns out to be like?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like there might be a good chance of this happening with the acquisition.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
While yes MS studios across the board seemingly have an equal level of creative freedom now, let's not pretend like MS studios didn't previously have this in the last 20 years. Bungie pretty much acted like an independent studio inside of MS, Rare didn't get told to make Viva or Nut's and Bolts etc. Of course it hasn't always been equal across the studios, whiling ebbing and flowing in time. But writing of 14 years of their internal studios management as creatively strict and controlled, in comparison to this more free management style of the last 4-5 years is very misleading.

This is an extremely weird post, tbh. Mans said "this is 2020, not 2016" and you're going off about stuff that happened 10 years ago and 'history of Microsoft'?

There's nothing misleading about the comment you're responding to.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Putting the ball in Phil's court, love it. I'm very much looking forward to Ghostwire Tokyo but I'd love another game directed by the gawd.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Please do it. The Evil Within was awesome. I get that Mikami wants to foster younger talent in Japan, but it's a bummer that our best creators in the industry are getting older and project times longer so we get less and less output from them. We haven't had a real Kamiya game in 7 years.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Old Microsoft maybe, but Phil has been wanting a Japanese studio for the longest and now he finally has one. All of their new studios have talked about the freedom Microsoft has given them to make the games they want so, fingers crossed they (both xbox and Tango) don't pull a ScaleBound.
We'll see but I don't have too much faith.

Nov 12, 2017
Imagine a high budget spiritual successor to Godhand or Vanquish... or something even MORE ambitious. This could be potentially Mikami's biggest budget ever if Phil plays it right. Hopefully Tango being under Zenimax doesn't mean MS is more hands off than with the smaller studios.