• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Code Veronica was not even close to better than RE3. 3 moved the story forward more than CV, had better gameplay mechanics, more memorable characters, a remake whether you like it or not.

Hell the remake is still better than CV, at least I never get to certain points and say fuck it and not continue.
I hate that you can be pushed into a progression wall on the plane if you're not careful with your ammo.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
RE1 was the original, made on PlayStation (and ported to Sega Saturn and PC).
RE2 was a dramatic upgrade on the same console (PlayStation).
RE3 was something of a predictable sequel to the great RE2 (PlayStation again).
But Code Veronica on the Sega Dreamcast was where Mikami was trying to push the franchise to the next level.

Sony didn't like that CV on Dreamcast was "more important" than RE3 on PSX, so Sony insisted that RE3 be numbered and CV not be numbered (politics between Sony and Capcom).

Then Sony got the Sony-sabotaged CV on PS2, so the issue was moot, and Mikami thought the whole thing was bullshit.

Which was a big part of why Mikami took RE4 and the RE franchise to Nintendo, because he was mad at Sony. This time there won't be any political bullshit, and Sony won't be able to fuck with RE4. If RE4 gets stolen by Sony, Mikami will chop his own head off.

A lot of this is off. RE3 was originally supposed to be a PS2 title directed by Kamiya starring HUNK but that project fell apart and eventually morphed into Devil May Cry. Capcom then made the decision to elevate their Jill spinoff game to mainline status because it was a PS1 title and it made sense to keep the numbered entries on Playstation at the time. Code Veronica was never intended to be numbered.

Mikami went with Nintendo with RE4 because the PS2 was a nightmare to develop for and he didn't want to bother with it.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Even legends can be wrong sometimes. CV is 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Oct 27, 2017
Code Veronica was not even close to better than RE3. 3 moved the story forward more than CV, had better gameplay mechanics, more memorable characters, a remake whether you like it or not.

Hell the remake is still better than CV, at least I never get to certain points and say fuck it and not continue.
I hate that you can be pushed into a progression wall on the plane if you're not careful with your ammo.
As much as of a massacre REmake 3 felt I agree with this.

The remake on its own is a really fun game. Just don't remember it is a remake.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
The dude earned that ferrari, let him have his fun.

See above, I'm a fan. ;)

In a larger sense I actually believe nobody has ever earned a Ferrari in the history of the world, though. Considering "earned" implies he deserves/is entitled to it in a karmic sense... nobody actually deserves any luxury item in such a sense if you consider the alternate applications of an equivalent value could yield in increased prosperity elsewhere on earth.

Of course, outside of a karmic sense that'd be a fallacy of relative privation, but if we're not talking in a karmic sense (in a vacuum, essentially) all that matters to determine if he earned it or not is whether or not he can afford it, really. He gets to determine how to spend the fruits of his labor, after all.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
RE3 is the best of the original trilogy. CV was too reliant on backtracking, suffered from too much padding, had some annoying enemies, had an awful supporting character (and villains, to be honest), and was the beginning of the comic book villain conga line era in the series.

RE3 had the best environments of the pre-rendered titles (and much, much better than CV's), many gameplay improvements which CV lacks, randomized gameplay elements that heightened the feeling of horror and unpredictability, a deceptively simple story with a lot of darker undertones.

Whenever I replay the series, RE3 is the title I look forward to the most. Meanwhile, CV always feels like a chore.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
RE3 barely advanced the story because originally there wasn't one. It also wasn't written by the main series writer of the time (Noboru Sugimura) because it was so unimportant.

CV, on the other hand, has implications explored as recently as in RE7.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Both games are great, tho i still like RE3 more. Maybe CV felt more like a numbered game for being set on an unique area while RE3 felt more like a RE2 expansion.

I'll never get the hate on CV.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Very little of this is accurate at all. Sony never "sabotaged" anything and was always content with what Capcom planned for its platforms until Capcom moved RE4 to GameCube.
I have no actual knowledge of the situation but my idea of the matter based on what I've often seen repeated online is that CV was developed with the intention of being the successor to RE2 where as RE3 was initially developed as a spinoff that ended up being "promoted" to RE3 due to pressure by Sony and subsequently corporate Capcom.

Your post makes me think I'm likely wrong in my appreciation of the situation though, can you correct it?

BTW, I'm a huge Sega fan but have no real horse in this race as I like RE3 and CV about the same with neither being exactly a favorite of mine and despite my Sega allegiance I've owned every single console Sony has ever released so I'm also very much a fan of theirs.

Woiwode

Banned
Sep 18, 2019
Hot take. After REmake 1,2 and 3 capcom should declare all other games as non canon and make a real part 4 in a similar grounded storyline. Scrap all that matrix nonsense and goofy stuff. I know people love 4 but Leon just acts so out of character.
A carlos/leon/jill/chris game after 3 would be amazing

Oct 27, 2017
RE3 barely advanced the story because originally there wasn't one. It also wasn't written by the main series writer of the time (Noboru Sugimura) because it was so unimportant.

CV, on the other hand, has implications explored as recently as in RE7.
I would say RE3 was the finale of the RC incident rather than advanced the story. It is way more important to the original RE games.

CV was the next act.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Never bothered to finish Code Veronica. I can replay all the numbered RE games, but that one feels outdated as fuck for some reason.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree with him
Code Veronica wasnt numbered just because its original DC deal

Last edited:

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE3 is infinitely more playable and enjoyable than Code Veronica(X), and it's even more apparent today when I did a series replay this year.

CVX would benefit the most from a REmake, because it should be a good game. It's just not, it never was.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like both, but imho Code Veronica is very flawed and mostly saved because the main characters are the Redfield siblings.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I have no actual knowledge of the situation but my idea of the matter based on what I've often seen repeated online is that CV was developed with the intention of being the successor to RE2 where as RE3 was initially developed as a spinoff that ended up being "promoted" to RE3 due to pressure by Sony and subsequently corporate Capcom.

Your post makes me think I'm likely wrong in my appreciation of the situation though, can you correct it?

BTW, I'm a huge Sega fan but have no real horse in this race as I like RE3 and CV about the same with neither being exactly a favorite of mine and despite my Sega allegiance I've owned every single console Sony has ever released so I'm also very much a fan of theirs.

It's not that your understanding of the overall narrative is flat out wrong – it's just the details aren't correct.

RE1 was the original, made on PlayStation (and ported to Sega Saturn and PC).

Correct.

RE2 was a dramatic upgrade on the same console (PlayStation).

Mostly correct. But RE2 was actually planned for Saturn as well as PlayStation even when the game existed in its 1.5 form.

RE3 was something of a predictable sequel to the great RE2 (PlayStation again).

This isn't the best way to describe its development. RE3 was originally RE1.9, and intended to be a short spinoff. That's why the gameplay in it is so unorthodox and we see almost none of it used in any following RE (CV, REmake, RE0).

But Code Veronica on the Sega Dreamcast was where Mikami was trying to push the franchise to the next level.

In some ways, yes, but the "next level" talk was always intended to manifest in Kamiya's RE2 sequel (which became DMC), not with CV. CV was meant to be a graphical and narrative leap over RE2, but not necessarily a gameplay one.

Sony didn't like that CV on Dreamcast was "more important" than RE3 on PSX, so Sony insisted that RE3 be numbered and CV not be numbered (politics between Sony and Capcom).

Sony had no say in CV's development or RE3's numbering. Capcom wanted numbered REs on PlayStation systems out of their own volition. Capcom's upper management didn't want people to buy a Dreamcast for RE"3", an N64 for RE0 and then a PS2 for RE4. In this sense, CV and RE0 were a bit expendable if you only owned a Sony system, but that doesn't change the fact they were more important than RE3 itself.

Then Sony got the Sony-sabotaged CV on PS2, so the issue was moot, and Mikami thought the whole thing was bullshit.

This just isn't true.

Which was a big part of why Mikami took RE4 and the RE franchise to Nintendo, because he was mad at Sony. This time there won't be any political bullshit, and Sony won't be able to fuck with RE4. If RE4 gets stolen by Sony, Mikami will chop his own head off.

And none of this is either...

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
CV is more ambitious.

But RE3 is better.

It was definitely more ambitious in terms of technical aspects, being a next-gen game, moving to a full 3d environment and all that. But the interesting thing is that in terms of gameplay RE3 is much more bold. There is nothing in CV as exciting and daring as Nemesis. Even something like the dodge, which didn't work as it should, offered something new compared to previous titles.

In fact, I would argue that in terms of design, Nemesis alone is better than everything in CV. It was a solid use of the RE formula, but it lacks anything beyond that.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Respect to the inside perspective on this -- I understand how the office politics of stuff like that must be frustrating -- but I'm with everyone else here saying RE3 is also a much better game than CV. And, despite RE3 feeling a bit like a side story, it also came off as more relevant to the immediate main storyline than CV. Up until that point, we associated RE games with Raccoon City (it wasn't the globe-hopping adventure that RE4 and subsequent titles made it) so it inherently felt more "mainline".

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We already knew this but yeah.

This too. I laughed so hard at the part where he has to kill his father and stopped playing right there:

YearlyActiveArchaeocete-small.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Respect to the inside perspective on this -- I understand how the office politics of stuff like that must be frustrating -- but I'm with everyone else here saying RE3 is also a much better game than CV. And despite RE3 feeling a bit like a side story it also came off as more relevant to the immediate main storyline than CV. Up until that point, we associated RE games with Raccoon City (it wasn't the globe-hopping adventure that RE4 and subsequent titles made it) so it inherently felt more "mainline".

The whole ending sequence just felt so damn final.

The credits music and the news report were the cherry on top.

May 18, 2018
Didn't RE Nemisis became a numbered title because Capcom had a contract with Sony about having another numbered title RE, so they had to demote RE:CV and promote Nemisis?
Even if CV didn't have good gameplay, it did progress the story. I think it should have been the numbered title instead of Nemesis

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
He says CV wasnt numbered due to a console manufacturer.....my guess is this would be sony. I think they signed a deal to make an exclusive RE game for dreamcast. He wanted it to be a numbered title in the series but my guess is sony absolutely did not want a competitor to have an exclusive numbered re game and pressured capcom. This must have really pissed mikami off as we know he actively wanted to drop ps2 for the real re4 and met with nintendo and microsoft.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I've played them both when they came out and CV was a mindblowing experience especially since it was a taste of "next gen" while 3 felt like e natural continuation of 2, "more of the same" kind of vibe. Now looking back from 2020 CV does have some design problems and there are some bosses you can get stuck and have to restart the game but in 2000 when the hard glitchy shit was the norm it felt just like a harder RE. The story, levels, villains were great...the annoying kid as a companion kinda sucked if I recall but yeah what Mikame said makes total sense

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
RE3 any day. CV is bad. I played it a long time ago, but a little while ago watched a stream of it and was surprised how bad it is. Like it's worse than I remember and I already remember not liking it.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mikami always felt like the spin-off becoming a numbered entry was a bad idea so this isn't surprising. In my opinion, Nemesis is deserving of a numbered entry despite what Mikami thinks. That being said, I will always maintain the belief that Code Veronica should have been RE4 and all the games after it should have moved down a number to make up for it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the time of release he's probably right. But today I find RE3 a lot more playable than Code Veronica.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Code Veronica was more ambitious than 3. A spin-off more ambitious than a numbered title was weird, as if it was the number 3 the developers wanted.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
He's 100% right.

RE2 and C:V are the best of the classic RE games and C:V was not only better than RE3 but felt like the true sequel to RE2 in every possible way.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
CV was more ambitious technically and reviewed better. It was clearly the title that Capcom put more effort into. It was more deserving of being a titled RE.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always find it weird that people are so obsessed with whether Nemesis or CV was the most 'deserving' of being RE3 when the answer is that both were. It's become such a war between fans of those games that the the obvious point of discussion that CV should have been RE4 is totally ignored.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Code Veronica is messy and irritating and if it had gotten numbered entry care, I imagine it would've turned out a bit better.

I still prefer it to 3.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
RE3 is still my favorite, nothing has ever come close to the 1st time I encountered nemesis, it was just very unexpected.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Gameplay mechanics and memorable characters all come down to a matter of opinion but I can't remotely understand thinking it moved the story forward more.

C:V reunited Claire and Chris, as well as brought Wesker back to the series with his super powers. How in the world did RE3 move the story forward more?

And listing "they remade it" as a reason why 3 is better than C:V is hilarious in how completely unrelated the two things are.