• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think CV was the first RE when Wesker did Matrix shit and went too overboard on it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Also, cvxfreak might correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time he says this, right? I remember reading that there were devs involved with RE that thought CV diserved more the number 3, but I don't remember if Mikami was directly named.

Oct 31, 2017
Nemesis has always been better than Code Veronica. Always. Just because C:V did more "new"/was more novel (no more pre-rendered backgrounds, some of the guns/items, new enemies, new locale, new characters, the Claire/Chris dynamic), I still don't think it's as good. It's definitely less fun to replay/return to I think.

Code: Veronica has always just been kind of a dull, drab, slog of a game that I've never really cared for. Always kind of thought the people who champion it hard are kind of like the people who think The Twin Snakes is the definitive "Metal Gear Solid experience" (LOL): Dreamcast owners who were looking for any software edge to hold up and differentiate the platform from the competition.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Also, cvxfreak might correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time he says this, right? I remember reading that there were devs involved with RE that thought CV diserved more the number 3, but I don't remember if Mikami was directly named.

Mikami said the same thing to me in our book interview a few years ago. Other Capcom figure heads have said the same; even RE3's director recognizes that CV was a more significant game than RE3 in terms of production values and plot, and that getting the number 3 added to it sort of did a disservice to the RE brand as RE3 didn't, in their eyes, reflect what a numbered RE should've had.

You definitely don't have to agree with Mikami or the others who think this, but I feel like this was reaffirmed with RE3's mediocre remake, which was partly outsourced and de-prioritized.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take the coolest antagonist in the series over a game with Steve in it any day.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Saw this doc and my favorite part was this. What a boss driving to work in that.

XvvtuyN.png

I'd use a different word, myself.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Neither were very good. RE4 should have just been RE3.
No way and RE4 is one my favorite games. Resident Evil 3 capped off the story for those original games. Had a great ending and setup everything for future games post Raccoon City.
CV absolutely needs a remake and I hope Capcom doesn't neglect it. Also, I'd say the RE3 remake is more disappointing, since not only did they not flesh out things more from the original, but cut content. Unacceptable.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Code: Veronica is the real RE3
Peace Walker is the real MGS5

What other examples are there?

Bravely Second is the real Bravely Default II
Legend of Mana is the real Seiken Densetsu 4 (as opposed to Dawn of Mana, which is the game that holds that title going by the Japanese release names)
Sonic Mania is the real Sonic 4 (and CD is in some ways the real 3? Maybe making 3&K the real 4, and Mania the real 5)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my lord please yes. Code Veronica is amazing. Would love to see it handled like RE2

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mikami said the same thing to me in our book interview a few years ago. Other Capcom figure heads have said the same; even RE3's director recognizes that CV was a more significant game than RE3 in terms of production values and plot, and that getting the number 3 added to it sort of did a disservice to the RE brand as RE3 didn't, in their eyes, reflect what a numbered RE should've had.

You definitely don't have to agree with Mikami or the others who think this, but I feel like this was reaffirmed with RE3's mediocre remake, which was partly outsourced and de-prioritized.

And what does not even being remade tells about CV (assming the leaks saying REmake 4 is next are accurate)? I feel like the choices involving REmake 3 have much more to do with Capcom today than the feeling the devs had back then.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
CV is not the true RE3, that's not what Mikami said. He thinks the game is better and more deserving of being a numbered entry, but we know the development history of the games and neither one were meant to be RE3. Things ended up in a way that the decision was make to make Nemesis RE3. And for me it was the correct choice.
The important question is, why fans of the same franchise having conflicts over this? like both Nemesis and CV can be viewed as cult classics, RE3 isn't even that beloved compared to CV, the remake make it clear that's what even Capcom think, so why are people upset over a freaking "number" is beyond me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the issues people have with CV now - especially its absolutely atrocious final boss, which might actually be the worst in any game ever - but I still think it's a really enjoyable game with great environments and honestly kind of incredible over the top characters. It moved RE forward in terms of 3D camera work, and had absolutely mind blowing facial models at the time.

As a dreamcast owner who bought it when it originally released, the impact was immense. So I gotta agree with Mikami on this one, even if its missteps have grown more perceivable over time.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
And what does not even being remade tells about CV (assming the leaks saying REmake 4 is next are accurate)? I feel like the choices involving REmake 3 have much more to do with Capcom today than the feeling the devs had back then.

We don't know if CV has been skipped permanently. It's highly possible they eventually get to it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I remember more from CV than I do from RE3, so he's probably on to something.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Even the GOAT can be wrong occasionally. RE3 was the much better game.

I don't know why Code Veronica fans are so obsessed with not getting that number. Y'all can just take a sharpie and draw a giant 3 on your copy of the game.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Both OG RE3 and Code Veronica rank on the lower end of the Resident Evil spectrum for me, but I agree with Mikami here. Code Veronica felt like more of a step forward in all aspects, whereas 3 was just more of 2 but with an action focus. I think CV deserves a remake way more than 4 does.

Nov 2, 2017
Idk, I always felt like Code Veronica was a step down in both story and gameplay compared to Resident Evil 3. I liked having Claire and Chris back as playable characters but that was about it though.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
AFAIK it's not that it deserved to be a numbered title but it was supposed to be one, while 3 was the spin-off. But Sony wanted another numbered RE on the PSX so Capcom swapped them.

That's known for a long time.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Btw is Code Veronica on the Switch? seems kinda weird to get REmake but not Code Veronica on the system

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I'd use a different word, myself.
Tbf, he seems pretty humble in this one. There's a part where he talks about young vs senior developers/designers which I liked. He believes you peak in your thirties and after that based on your experience, you keep finding flaws in every decision. Unable to take risks. That's why he prefers younger directors/devs because they don't see the whole picture yet and are willing to take more risks to move a project forward.

Jan 11, 2018
I love both, but I think they made the right choice. Code Veronica was long, but gameplay wise was a very safe game and didn't really do anything exciting.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
CODE: Veronica didn't get a number because Capcom was committed to having numbered RE games on PlayStation systems, which were considered the main home of the RE franchise at the time. It's the same reason why they went with Resident Evil Zero for Nintendo 64 (think of "Zero" as a word and not a number here).

CODE: Veronica had a much, MUCH larger budget than RE3 all around.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I disagree. Not only is RE3 the better game, but it introduced better mechanics to the series. With that said, I'd love for CV to get a remake treatment.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
I agree to a point. They should have made them both numbered, but only if they had kept the pre-rendered look of its predecessors instead of this semi 3d look.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Kind of feel like SEGA messed this one up pretty bad? Wouldn't you want to be able to promote that the "next" RE is on your new console? Or maybe Capcom just didn't want to give them a numbered title? Not sure how to interpret that last bit

Oct 28, 2017
so all the "RE3 was always RE3 and code veronica was always a side story" naysayers can stop saying that now, right?

it was pretty clear from the time the 2 games came out that Code veronica was the next big game in the series canon

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I respect his opinion, but I disagree. Looking back at CV, it goes in a direction I'm not a huge fan of. The RE3 Remake did a very solid job with Jill's story (making her my favorite RE protagonist, with Claire being a close second).

At the end of the day, though, the numbers don't matter. They are all part of the same canon.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"the console manufacturing company" 🤔
RE1 was the original, made on PlayStation (and ported to Sega Saturn and PC).
RE2 was a dramatic upgrade on the same console (PlayStation).
RE3 was something of a predictable sequel to the great RE2 (PlayStation again).
But Code Veronica on the Sega Dreamcast was where Mikami was trying to push the franchise to the next level.

Sony didn't like that CV on Dreamcast was "more important" than RE3 on PSX, so Sony insisted that RE3 be numbered and CV not be numbered (politics between Sony and Capcom).

Then Sony got the Sony-sabotaged CV on PS2, so the issue was moot, and Mikami thought the whole thing was bullshit.

Which was a big part of why Mikami took RE4 and the RE franchise to Nintendo, because he was mad at Sony. This time there won't be any political bullshit, and Sony won't be able to fuck with RE4. If RE4 gets stolen by Sony, Mikami will chop his own head off.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Tbf, he seems pretty humble in this one. There's a part where he talks about young vs senior developers/designers which I liked. He believes you peak in your thirties and after that based on your experience, you keep finding flaws in every decision. Unable to take risks. That's why he prefers younger directors/devs because they don't see the whole picture yet and are willing to take more risks to move a project forward.
Ahah, I love SM, don't worry.
I was referring solely to the Ferrari thing. While owning a Ferrari isn't problematic in itself, driving it to work implies daily use and considering it's a highly polluting vehicle the only words that immediately come to me in my mind are either asshole, dick or douchebag since it's a decision that can only be motivated by ego. Sports cars are pretty repulsive by default for most of us girls though, so my take is likely biased.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
RE1 was the original, made on PlayStation (and ported to Sega Saturn and PC).
RE2 was a dramatic upgrade on the same console (PlayStation).
RE3 was something of a predictable sequel to the great RE2 (PlayStation again).
But Code Veronica on the Sega Dreamcast was where Mikami was trying to push the franchise to the next level.

Sony didn't like that CV on Dreamcast was "more important" than RE3 on PSX, so Sony insisted that RE3 be numbered and CV not be numbered (politics between Sony and Capcom).

Then Sony got the Sony-sabotaged CV on PS2, so the issue was moot, and Mikami thought the whole thing was bullshit.

Which was a big part of why Mikami took RE4 and the RE franchise to Nintendo, because he was mad at Sony. This time there won't be any political bullshit, and Sony won't be able to fuck with RE4. If RE4 gets stolen by Sony, Mikami will chop his own head off.

Very little of this is accurate at all. Sony never "sabotaged" anything and was always content with what Capcom planned for its platforms until Capcom moved RE4 to GameCube.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This was a great doc op. Ty for sharing. And Yeah, code veronica totally shouldve been re 3

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're using those metrics of, you know, campaign length and story, I guess I can see that argument. But RE3 is so much more fun to play and replay. And replay. It's just so good. And doesn't overstay its welcome.

Code Veronica does have cool stuff but it'll definitely need a remake and a change of tone to see its potential realized. Locations would be interesting to see remade and Steve Carlos-iefied, among other stuff which I admittedly can't really remember considering I've only played through it once. The Nosferatu thing could be really great if they went full horror with it.