• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I just needed to vent. Please excuse me.

Woke up a few days ago with severe pain in my chest. A day or so passes, and now I have upper back pain. I was wondering how in the world this is happening, but I just assumed I pulled a muscle.

More days pass and I start getting those lovely blisters all over the place. All the way from the upper chest to the upper back. Existing now has become just a little bit harder.

I'm actually used to dealing with pain, as I have Trigeminal Neuralgia. Every day is a trial with that, but adding this on top of that is a fresh new flavor of hell that I didn't need introduced to.

Just ranting. It will pass, but it sure is going to take a bit. Been dealing with said Neuralgia for 4.5 years, so I'll brute force my way through this. Not going to be a fun few weeks (if not longer)

All things pass. Hopefully. Feel free to share your pain rants here. Let us cope together.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds rough, my dad did not enjoy it at all but he got over it after a couple of weeks. I've already had chicken pox so shingles is my destiny.

Oct 26, 2017
chrome_screenshot_162cvjdr.png

Hope this brightens your mood a bit OP.

OneEyedKing

Oct 25, 2017
I had shingles when I was 17 and it was some of the worst pain I've ever been in. Sleeping was a nightmare, my back was covered in the blisters but even laying on my stomach hurt like hell.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I got it a couple of years ago when I was coming off of a cold/working at a job that was stressing me out something fierce.

Wasn't fun, got punched in my breakout spot, and was on the floor.

Oct 28, 2017
My brother had them a year and a half ago and it was a nightmare for him. I was going to get vaccinated for it but the pandemic happened. Thank you for the reminder OP. Hope you feel better soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered, at the end of the day, is it a good thing to get chicken pox or not as a kid?
I never got them, so I won't get shingles.
But my risk of serious complications is much higher if I caught chicken pox.

But that's if I do catch it.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I had it pretty young at ~18. I mostly had severe chest pains, I thought I was having a heart attack initially. Some of the worst pain I've felt in my life.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Shingles were the only thing I recall making my grandfather cry outside of his wife and brother's deaths.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
You really should see a doctor and get on shingles antiviral medication rather than "brute forcing" through it. Shingles can lead to permanent nerve damage that results in chronic pain.

Been to the doctor
OP
OP
Isilia

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
Yes I have been to the doctor for meds. As far as brute forcing it, I have done this for years living through the neuralgia. I have a team of docs and meds through that as well.

Im just venting since the next few weeks will be hell regardless

psykomyko

Oct 27, 2017
Still the most painful and uncomfortable thing I have ever gone through. I got it when I was 17 and it was all over my chest. Made every single activity I did a pain. Just my shirt rubbing against it was painful.

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered, at the end of the day, is it a good thing to get chicken pox or not as a kid?
I never got them, so I won't get shingles.
But my risk of serious complications is much higher if I caught chicken pox.

But that's if I do catch it.
Get the vaccine. I got chicken pox as a kid before the vaccine had come out. If you missed getting chicken pox as a kid, you will get shingles as an adult if infected with the chicken pox virus.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really should see a doctor and get on shingles antiviral medication rather than "brute forcing" through it. Shingles can lead to permanent nerve damage that results in chronic pain.
This. I got shingles about two years ago and the medication cleared it up fast. I too thought I worked out a bit too hard until the blisters showed up. I don't recall the pain being too severe though, hence thinking I just got a good workout in.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I had shingles and it was the worst. Up the middle of my back and under my armpit.
Then I got a couple tiny kidney stones. Shingles then became a fond memory.

Oct 25, 2017
This. I got shingles about two years ago and the medication cleared it up fast. I too thought I worked out a bit too hard until the blisters showed up. I don't recall the pain being too severe though, hence thinking I just got a good workout in.

Wanted to echo this. The antiviral medication can really help both short term and long term. The nerve damage is no joke. Even tho I caught mine early I still have residual migraines that I never had in my life. I can't imagine having other, more severe pain for the rest of my life

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually got shingles pretty young. I assume it was stress-related. Got lucky though. It only itched a little and didn't spread very far. Went away with some medication.

I clicked on the thread to post Shingle Jingle, BTW.

Deleted member 92750

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2021
I've gotten shingles twice. First at 27(was in Bangkok wife thought I contracted a more exotic disease) then last year at 32. Get the vaccine it's worth the money.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I had them over a year ago. It started with some neck pain that felt like I had sunburn and then a few days later the sores showed up. It was kind of a mild case though and I only had 2 big blisters. One on my back and the other on the neck. Thankfully nobody noticed at work for a few days. After that I was talking to my boss and he started looking at my neck and thought it was a hicky. I will take it.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I had shingles at 27, upper chest area and up the back of the neck, brought me to my knees quite a few times before I went and got checked out. Hard to explain the sensation but it was enough of a wave of pain for me actually just stop and lay down wherever I was. They offered me meds but said I was already on the decline so I refused them (anti taking painkillers if not absolutely necessary). Still have some scars from the breakout areas.

Forgrim

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Ableist language, prior ban for use of the same word
Lower back for me, at the ripe ol' age of 11. I had gotten the chicken pox at age of 8, so it was literally a quick shingles outbreak.

It was fucking retardedly painful as a kid, and now that i'm near the 40's, hope to never experience it again. If you've got it once, does a shingles vaccine help?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My mom's shingles blisters got infected with MRSA and some ended up needing packed. Awful.

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
I had shingles a year and a half ago on my back and chest. The pain and the general malaise was pretty damn bad. Only acliclovir made it go away in about a week or two, and a couple months until the scars disappeared. I had to go to the ER twice once to get medication and another time to get the doses increased as it only kept getting worse.

Please don't try to brute force through it, doctors told me it could be life-threatening if left untreated and could leave you with permanent nerve damage that feel like electric shocks at random times.

OP
OP
Isilia

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
I'm in contact with doctors, so I should be fine. Plenty of people around me to help as well.

Wife especially won't let me ignore the docs!

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They're okay. As a kid I always liked doing the duck bill thing by holding two in my mouth at once.

OP
OP
Isilia

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
Week 2. Burning started. It continues to be the worst.

Got the docs pills and mountains of topical cream. I haven't drove the wife crazy yet.

This happened on the week her mom got knee surgery, so I feel bad she has to somewhat look out for me, too.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My doctors told me I'm guaranteed to get it eventually, having had a bad bout of Chicken Pox when younger and have had Bell's Palsy... Not looking forward to this.