• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your opinion

• Sega never learns

Votes: 133 47.8%
  • Yes ! I don't like S-RPG

Votes: 55 19.8%
  • Don't care, I don't play Sakura Wars for the battle system

Votes: 90 32.4%

• Total voters
Apr 21, 2018
Current results of the first poll:
44% are angry at Sega.
The rest don't care and a minority is happy with that change.(action RPG)

poll #2
Another polemic about the chara designer.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Please, not you too Sega, making it action RPG doesn't automatically make it more attractive to the Western audience.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Never played any of the Sakura Wars game, but I'm disappointed. After playing the Utawarerumono games I was hoping for it to be a visual novel strategy RPG hybrid.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, guess I was expecting that.

The gameplay does look pretty rough too. Nothing really stood out from what I've seen.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine. The developers want to try something new and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like V set the world on fire anyway.

There were big changes during generation shifts in this series and this is no different.

I'm more interested in how Sega will do this without RED Company doing the scenario. I don't recall RED being a part of New Sakura Wars' staff.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Please, not you too Sega, making it action RPG doesn't automatically make it more attractive to the Western audience.

This. Plus I love it when certain "gamers" in the west act like ARPG's are new & talking about "Turn-Based RPG's are outdated!", etc. when ARPG's are just as old as Turn-Based RPG's & SRPG's are.

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with the change. Could be a fun change and Nagoshi is involved with the game along with it running on the Yakuza engine.

Plus, the series isn't really the reason people play it. Most play it for the other stuff.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It will likely sit in the same trash pile as Valkyria Azure Revolution and all the post-Saturn Shining games.

I have no reason to trust Sega.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I've only played Sakura Wars V, and the turn based gameplay in that one was pretty bad. Despite the fact that I'm a huge SRPG fan.

So I don't really care one way or the other, but at least being an action RPG should hopefully mean that the combat encounters won't take forever to finish now.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It makes me much more likely to pick it up, especially if the combat is good.

Oct 27, 2017
First of all it could be useful to put this in the OP, the battle gameplay starts at 50:00 :)

I'm also adding the text from Gematsu

Project Sakura Wars cycles between adventure and battle sequences, through which you will progress through the story and stengthenen your bond with the heroines.

Battle parts use an action combat system in which you take control of the leader Kamiyama and the other members' mechs. Utilize each character's unique abilities and defeat enemies with exhilarating combos and special attacks.

The more you strengthen your bond with teammates, the stronger they become during battle parts. Experience dramatic battles, and even let the story unfold within them.

Use a combination of the Square and Triangle buttons to unleash a flurry of standard attacks. Use your jumps and dashes to move freely throughout the battlefield, and use many other actions such as wall running and just-dodges to defeat enemies.

—Standard Attack
—Dash
—Step
—Jump
—Wall Run

Collect Spirit Power during battles to use special attacks to finish off your enemies. When you use a special attack, scenes specific to that character will play out. Spirit Power can be amassed by defeating enemies and gathering Spirit recovery items. Also, by fulfilling certain special conditions, you can perform joint attacks with other members. Please look forward to how Kamiyama and the members' attacks will play out!

When you take a step while an enemy is attacking, a just-dodge will trigger. Use this to turn the tide of battle and strike back. During just-dodges you can even cut an enemy in two. When doing so, a dynamic effect will play out.

During battle parts, when the bonds between Kamiyama and each member gets stronger, their abilities also get a boost. The starting value of the gauge can be increased through the actions you take during adventure parts, as well as further boosted depending on the play contents of battle mode.

I was initially kinda curious to experiment an authentic modern Sakura Wars, but the truth is I'm way more of an action guy than a strategy lover. And since the gameplay actually looks pretty solid (way better than everything Valkyria Revolution ever showed before the release), I'm still excited to try the game but for other (and better) reasons !

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the change in combat isn't what's going to make or break the game, sales-wise. I do think the change will increase the pool of potential fans however

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I am fine with the change. Could be a fun change and Nagoshi is involved with the game along with it running on the Yakuza engine.

Plus, the series isn't really the reason people play it. Most play it for the other stuff.
Where'd you get that from? Afaik the only info known so far it's that it's using the Hedgehog Engine 2

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I'm neutral. From what I understand, these games were always about the visual novel part, while the strategy element took a back seat and wasn't deep either.

From the few gameplay clips I've seen, the combat reminds me more of Nier: Automata than a typical musou, so it could still be fun.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first, I thought "oh no." But then I remembered my time with Sakura Wars 5 on Wii was mostly the SIM elements and that the SRPG part wasn't particularly amazing anyways.

I think this is actually ok, so long as it is competent. What really matters is the writing for a game like this.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone said, "Saraba Taisen".

I had signed out from the moment they had unveiled the new designs, and they haven't done anything to win me back. Oh, well.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Not really a fan of the franchise but I was mildly interested. Considering there are not a lot SRPGs these days (and there are tons of action games), I wish the formula would have stayed the same.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never played one, but I do prefer action games, so yay for me.

I do feel bad for series veterans though.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Was it very long in development so the initial development process only involved PS4?

The game will probably get Zero interest in the west, why should SEGA a Japan focused game not release on Switch first and foremost at this time? Or target the mobile market, the graphics look simple.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
If I'm correct, only 1 game, Farewell my Love, came out in the west, and I own it. It is still shrink wrapped on my shelf, so I can't say I was a huge fan. I don't think this series has huge fans in the west, so there's not really gonna be a huge outrage. I don't care what the combat is, just please be enjoyable.

That said, what I saw of the battle footage doesn't look great. The mechas and enemies behave like humans, the combat looks easy like a warriors game, and there's no sense of scale or weight to make them seem like giant robots. Jury is still out, out it would suck if the combat ends up disappointing because everything else about this game already looks amazing.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Not too bothered as the gameplay wasn't the draw for me, my main concern is if the visual novel aspects are taking a backseat or not. Though it sounds like they probably aren't?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like the 'gameplay isn't why we play Sakura Taisen' stance is missing the point.

Maybe it's just me but a mediocre action system will detract from the experience more than a mediocre SRPG system in my eyes.

Not to mention that the SRPG system fits the kinda chill nature of the game as well.

Jonovision

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like the sequel to Dynasty Warriors Gundam I've been craving, that and Sumire as the head honcho is a win for me.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I never cared about Sakura Wars in the first place, so this is a brand new game i am playing.

Of course...the fact that out of all systems you create for the gameplay, you dump any RPG element and go Dynasty warriors....wtf......that turns me off more than anything. Its there already an extreme excess of mindless button mashy Musou clones?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Though surprised, at the same time not entirely after no one bought Valkyria Chronicles 4.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
definitely less interested now
i have too many games in my backlog and that i plan to buy that play pretty similarly so it doesnt stand out as much

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Never played a Sakura Taisen game before, but always read about 'em. A Musou-like does garner some curiosity, so I guess I'll keep an eye out.

But as a Shining Force fan, I certainly do sympathize for those who don't like this change.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'll still grab it, but I can't really say it isn't a tremendous disappointment to me.
The gameplay isn't really why people play Sakura Wars games
At the same time, I got into the franchise because I saw that a bunch of VC alums had worked on it and it was an SRPG. The systems were barebones, but I still dug them and they did evolve as the games went on.

I literally would have preferred them completely cutting combat than what it looks like we're getting :/

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Having not actually played one but being aware of the series I was a bit saddened when a friend told me earlier today it was going to be an action rpg. But looking at the gameplay footage from the stream the combat looks pretty decent at least. I was looking forward to some tactical funtimes though so a part of me will forever feel like we missed out.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed, but It'll probably still be my second PS4 game anyways.

So, now I'm going into conspiracy territory, but we know they are doing this probably to sell more in the West. I have a feeling that they will also reduce the VN portion of the game to add more combat time.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i think they should bring more weight to the movements and actions of the mechs, other than that looks decent i suppose