• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Is that... Kizuna AI?
QnDDUvd.png
My first thought as well, lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Looking really good so far. I appreciate they look like they are older than some of the previous games, though I'm still expecting their official ages to be suspect.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Official ages:
MC - 20
Sakura - 17
red hair - 17
the little kid - 13
silver hair - 19
blond hair - 16

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I understand the need for the 16-17 year olds because that's High School age. Fine. Whatever. Another drop in the metaphorical bucket and par for the course at this point.

The 13-year-old is a real headscratcher. Then again, Iris was only 9 years old when she was giving Ichiro hell back in the 1920s, so it may just be a Sakura Wars thing. 🤷🏾‍♂️

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The red head and silver haired girls look older but whatever, so did a lot of the previous characters

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not surprising. I'm not sure why it's so hard for them to portray characters just a few years older, I highly doubt that would make them less marketable even in Japan.
Christmas cake stigma, as older characters aren't as profitable as high schoolers. Exceptions exist, such if the chracters have a mother or an onee-san personality, but otherwise they are the least popular character in dating sims.

Last edited:

Panzer Dragoon

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
This game looks really good and a high-end AAA SEGA production. With Bernie upsetting Working Designs that put pay to any hope of Saturn or DC translations for the 1st 4 games. So it good to see this coming to the west and hopefully will make up for Part V. Seems Sonic Team is using some nice tech for this game I wonder if it's running on the Hedgehog II engine, if so hopefully it will also come to PC and the likes of Switch as well, later down the line.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Every Sakura Wars game has a kid character and in every game the is a "romance" ending with this kid.

Now for me the relationship with the kid was always depicted as more of an Older-brother younger sister kind of relationship
and yeah....I know a lot of people will not be convinced by that but keep in mind that at the time there was no actual Loli
culture in anime like there is today and you see big companies invest on it :/.

For example take a look at this scene, it's from Sakura Wars 1 back in 1996

What exactly do you see here?
Well without context I understand you if you would scatch your head with this
but this is the ending cutscene of the Iris chapter in which the whole point of it was to show
that Iris is a kid and like many other kids she wants to grow up and become an adult.
So she gets frustrated that she can't grow up any faster and be respected and be taken seriously like the the other members.
After she wreaks havoc into town with her powers because of the frustration, suddenly a demon shows up but Iris is too angry
to fight so, Oogami, the protagonist tells her something really important in order for her to calm down.
"Iris, you don't have to look like an adult or act like one.You're just a kid and that's ok.
We all love you because of who you are now."
Then Iris finds the will to fight, they destroy the demon and this cutscene plays.

So I don't know I found her whole arc to be pretty decent.

Now, having said that...there definitely are some scenes that are...well...more difficult to put into some context
and with the Loli culture that exists in anime today it would be problematic something ....

Here is the Iris ending in Sakura Wars 2

To conclude and summarize this long post for me the best thing they can now that they included
again a kid character is to portray this character like how a normal kid her age would act
and of course to portray the protagonist like how an adult or late teen would act when hanging with a kid.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
As for relationships, from what I remember they are very vanilla when it comes to romance. Even the final event is just you going on a date with one girl, and that's it. It never crosses or even hints that the two characters will have sex, like persona tends to do. The most intimate they get is a simple kiss.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
As for relationships, from what I remember they are very vanilla when it comes to romance. Even the final event is just you going on a date with one girl, and that's it. It never crosses or even hints that the two characters will have sex, like persona tends to do. The most intimate they get is a simple kiss.

The first and last time Sakura and Ogami kissed in-game was... the Sakura ending of ST1. >_<

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm excited about the game as my first Sakura Wars game but....yeap, that's definitely Kubo design right there.

Girl on the far left looks like blond Inoue with a weird pony tail. Don't know if want

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Rean? Oh it's not him.

So what game is this? Tactical-rpg-date-sim?

It's a SRPG similar to Valkyria Chronicles but way simpler and easier, in terms of combat.
The other part part of the game is like a VN with tons of dialogue, some light point&click adventure elements
and a few minigames.
You can definitely play it as a dating sim but you don't have to.
Take me for example where I haven;t played any dating sims, I don't care about that stuff and still Sakura Wars is one of my favourite games of all time.
So don't get discouraged by the label "Dating sim".

Oh, I didn't know that as my knowledge onky goes far as SW1, and SW3. My bad, but still, it only reinforces my point on how vanilla these games are when it comes to romance.
Hehe imo the most passionate scene in any Sakura Wars game was Maria's ending in Sakura Taisen 4 xD.

Btw having watched the deleted trailerI noticed something really interesting

Now take a look at this screenshot

In japanese the word for smartphone in Katakana is スマホ but in the trailer
it says at the bottom スマアトロン, which is a made-up word for apparently
a smartphone version of Kinematron xD.
So yeah, Kinematron is back :D

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's a SRPG similar to Valkyria Chronicles but way simpler and easier, in terms of combat.
The other part part of the game is like a VN with tons of dialogue, some light point&click adventure elements
and a few minigames.
You can definitely play it as a dating sim but you don't have to.
Take me for example where I haven;t played any dating sims, I don't care about that stuff and still Sakura Wars is one of my favourite games of all time.
So don't get discouraged by the label "Dating sim".

Thanks for the feedback. All of points you list don't annoy me. I don't particulary play dating sims but I like VNs so I think I'll like it.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
....how did this not become one of the biggest Sega games around?

It was on Saturn, to begin with :)

Also, I think ST is an important mark in the shift in Japanese otaku culture towards character driven products ('waifu' games), and it wasn't yet the cup of tea of western anime fans (who were still focusing on SF stories, fantastic/horror OVA or movies with a grotesque imagerie, and shonen adventuring at that time)

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Oh man these details. So it sounds like we might see the old casts in some form. Especially considering Sumire was already confirmed.

Kind of interesting that Dramatic Dungeon is really Canon. I don't recall the premise outside of the fact that Jeanne darc was the big baddie.

And it looks like shower scenes are back, that's going to make for a reaction in this age.

Apr 21, 2018
A lot of fresh blood is working on the project.

Is it a bad news ? Well, I don't think so because the leaders of the project are the writer of the iconic 428 and Sega veterans,
especialy Takaharu Terada, the director.

Who is he ?
A little guy who worked on Advanced Dasenryaku (strategy game), Sakura Taisen serie, Skies of Arcadia, 7th Dragon (Phoenix Rie's serie) and was...

...director of Valkyria Chronicles 2008 (with Shuntaro Tanaka).

In other word, we've got a heavy weight of gaming history.

Are you even more hyped ? Not convinced ? Disapointed ?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
A lot of fresh blood is working on the project.

Is it a bad news ? Well, I don't think so because the leaders of the project are the writer of the iconic 428 and Sega veterans,
especialy Takaharu Terada, the director.

Who is he ?
A little guy who worked on Advanced Dasenryaku (strategy game), Sakura Taisen serie, Skies of Arcadia, 7th Dragon (Phoenix Rie's serie) and was...

...director of Valkyria Chronicles 2008 (with Shuntaro Tanaka).

In other word, we've got a heavy weight of gaming history.

Are you even more hyped ? Not convinced ? Disapointed ?
So what you're saying is no Skies of Arcadia until this game comes out

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I mean skies credentials would make sense too, as it was the Overworks Sega division that developed skies/sakura Taisen 3/4/5 and Valkyria chronicles before being absorbed.

Apr 21, 2018
So what you're saying is no Skies of Arcadia until this game comes out
Nope. He was more involved in Valkyria Chronicles. Shuntaro Tanaka (the main director for Skies) and Rieko Kodama could work on something else but i don't think Sega will launch a new RPG at the same time, indeed. If there is another revival it would be smarter for Sega to release something else like Virtuaa Fighter or Jet Set Radio. (RE Fantasy, SMT are also on the road in the Sega- Atlus building)

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
People who want to import that issue of Famitsu, here is the link.

Just pre-ordered. I am way too hyped for this game.

Edit: wait, this is weird. This issue should be releasing today, yet the link is issue 4/25 which is releasing on 4/11. Seems like there is a mistake?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why they call him Tite Kubo.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was on Saturn, to begin with :)

Also, I think ST is an important mark in the shift in Japanese otaku culture towards character driven products ('waifu' games), and it wasn't yet the cup of tea of western anime fans (who were still focusing on SF stories, fantastic/horror OVA or movies with a grotesque imagerie, and shonen adventuring at that time)

I agree. In fact I consider the Sakura Taisen franchise the bridge between the Takarazuka Revue and Tokimeki Memorial to iDOLM@STER and a lesser extent AKB48 and the '2.5D' idol seiyuu (the latter two took a fair bit from Morning Musume etc). Granted, there's some bias as I was blown away by the real life shows/musicals like Benitokage

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
The DS game is canon >.<? Hgnn, how is it for anyone who's played it?

So the DS game was confirmed to be canon a long time ago, but you don't have to worry about the plot is really not that important and of course
there are no new characters in this one.
You can read more about the game here

Now by reading the interview there are 2 points that piqued my interest

The first one is this
Script writer Takaaki Suzuki, who is known for Girls and Panzer, has offered historical accuracy suggestions.

So who is this guy?Does anyone know him?
I looked it up and in Girls und Panzer he was a military advisor.He also worked in Xenoblade 2 as a "Researcher"
Does he ever write characters??

Now for the second one
We still have many secret weapons (within the staff).

They mean they have more big names working for the Project that they haven't announced yet?
If so I wonder who they are xD

Of course there are many other great stuff in the interview like there are 70 to 80 songs
Oh....boy I'm gonna buy that soundtrack as soon as it is announced xD.

Also this quote
Each country's Combat Reveue and the Imperial Theater staff also appear. The casting will surprise everyone.

I think expecting old members is pretty viable know.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So the DS game was confirmed to be canon a long time ago, but you don't have to worry about the plot is really not that important and of course
there are no new characters in this one.
You can read more about the game here

Now by reading the interview there are 2 points that piqued my interest

The first one is this

So who is this guy?Does anyone know him?
I looked it up and in Girls und Panzer he was a military advisor.He also worked in Xenoblade 2 as a "Researcher"
Does he ever write characters??

Now for the second one

They mean they have more big names working for the Project that they haven't announced yet?
If so I wonder who they are xD

Of course there are many other great stuff in the interview like there are 70 to 80 songs
Oh....boy I'm gonna buy that soundtrack as soon as it is announced xD.

Also this quote

I think expecting old members is pretty viable know.
I think it's this guy, who seems to have a ton of military history research gigs, plus has written a bunch of episodes across random shows (some pretty good ones too, like Last Exile).

Curious to see who else they've got helping out - I imagine there isn't exactly a shortage of people who want to be involved in a new ST.