• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge turn-based fan, but I can't say that I thought any of the Sakura Taisen games that I've played had particularly good Strategy/RPG gameplay. Shining Force, they were not.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if i'm uneducated about this ... but has Sakura Wars a big fanbase? I can't see those being too happy with the change to an Action RPG system.
Back in the glorious Saturn days it did around half a million. Sales basically halved when it moved to Dreamcast and dropped again when it went to PS2.

I don't see Sakura Musou doing much to change that trajectory.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
isn't this franchise literally all about the characters and VN stuff

That plus what looks like a solid action game feat. big ass robots is good stuff to me

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any game in this series before. But I love the song. I always sing it at the karaoke. Excited for this game just for Sakura Ayane alone!

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Arh Sega...why is Sakura Taisen turning action fighting all of a sudden. Tactics has never been very deep within the series but it nevertheless used to be enjoyable and easy-going. Between this and the lost of handsome 2D artworks during the VN parts, I have to say that my interest has dropped quite a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised no one is talking about the mecha travel sections. Those look amazing and kind of have me excited for the next Sonic game.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
How is everyone saying this will be a mediocre actionrpg from a short trailer? :|
I can understand the disappoint to not be a tactical jrpg...
Looks great to me.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I knew it! I kept asking about the combat and people kept saying it'll be fine. Well it looks crap so no thanks. Japan don't make SRPGs anymore on console and it's infuriating. I'll just play the fan translation of 1 when that comes out.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It is so crazy that this series is one I always admired from afar from what I heard about it and the art style, but was never in the right time/place to play it.

2020 comes along and now I will be, and everything I liked about it before is gone lol.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
this has me really hyped. music is great. i'm a fan of the character designs.

was the girl in purple an homage to Sumire from the originals?

The original games were not RPGs so it absolutely wouldn't compete with Valkyria Chronicles.

The original game (and, to a lesser extent, the first three sequels) was a very basic, and do I mean basic, SRPG in terms of mechanics. Sakura Wars is a series that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm a huge turn-based fan, but I can't say that I thought any of the Sakura Taisen games that I've played had particularly good Strategy/RPG gameplay. Shining Force, they were not.

Sakura Wars is a lot like Actraiser for me. Actraiser is a pretty bare-bones simulation game and an average Rastan/Castlevania hybrid-- but together it is something really special. I could say the same about Sakura Wars VN and SRPG segments.

That robot looks mad familiar, but I don't know why.

Is this Sakura Wars or related?

Sakura Taisen is Sakura Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Sega had a survey earlier this year and a big focus was brining back old franchises, and also asking what IP of there's have you played.

I said I'd want more Gunstar Heroes, Bayonetta, Yakuza, and Sakura Wars.

So I hope this comes Westward so I can try it out.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Can we talk about Kohei Tanaka doing the score still...

Sega had a survey earlier this year and a big focus was brining back old franchises, and also asking what IP of there's have you played.

I said I'd want more Final Fight, Bayonetta, Yakuza, and Sakura Wars.

Bayonetta 3 is coming to Switch and Final Fight isn't made by Sega...

Oct 27, 2017
It is so crazy that this series is one I always admired from afar from what I heard about it and the art style, but was never in the right time/place to play it.

2020 comes along and now I will be, and everything I liked about it before is gone lol.

At the very least, it's been kind of inferred that if this game is successful, that they might try to localize previous games in the series for new audiences the same way the Yakuza series was handled.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, it's been kind of inferred that if this game is successful, that they might try to localize previous games in the series for new audiences the same way the Yakuza series was handled.
I would be flabbergasted if that happens, but hoping doesn't hurt I guess.

Maybe I'd be more confident if Sega was pushing out ports from that era more often, but they've done nothing but steer clear and I don't see any indication of that changing.
At this point I'm just hoping M2 does the Saturn duology in Wave 2 of Sega Ages.
Some (all?) of wave 2 has been announced already. Nothing from that era is included. I haven't been too hopeful about Ages' ambitions since they came out talking about poor sales of the wave 1 stuff. Unless that turns around I think they would stick with the stuff that already runs on the engines they have.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Some (all?) of wave 2 has been announced already. Nothing from that era is included.
No, everything currently announced is Wave 1 which is officially complete now. I'm hoping Wave 2 happens and moves more to platforms like System32, Model 2, Saturn/ST-V, etc. Even if it entails some price hikes.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it! I kept asking about the combat and people kept saying it'll be fine. Well it looks crap so no thanks. Japan don't make SRPGs anymore on console and it's infuriating. I'll just play the fan translation of 1 when that comes out.
That's a thing? I thought most if not all groups who attempted it gave up due to the volume of translation.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No, everything currently announced is Wave 1 which is officially complete now. I'm hoping Wave 2 happens and moves more to platforms like System32, Model 2, Saturn/ST-V, etc. Even if it entails some price hikes.
NVM, you are right. I assumed the Sega Fes announcements were wave 2 for some reason.

Still not feeling warm and fuzzy about the series (ages) future though.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah thats what I think as well.
The Strategy Gameplay feels really tacked on and Lackluster, you can tell the focus was always on the social aspects, which only really caters to the Otakue Niche..
Maybe they can finally find a bigger Audience in the West and put in gameplay worth a damn.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
That is Sumire from the originals. They even got Tomizawa Michie back to voice her.

Damn, I thought she had retired!

Err, have I missed some controversy? I absolutely love his music on just about everything he has done.

Naw, it's awesome. The score is a major selling point for these games. Sega had the best sounding games in the world, glad they're keeping that tradition alive lol

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'll always prefer real-time over action, regardless of the series, but based on what I played of one of the past Sakura titles, the combat stuff was so far in the background it practically felt like an afterthought. The story/visual novel aspect was very much the focal point. So if this new entry has that same ratio of action and storytelling then I'm not particularly fussed about what they do with it.

Plus the game continues to look ace anyway.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Oh I thought they'd made a video specifically showcasing the movement. Those areas do look big though.

I said I'd want more Gunstar Heroes, Bayonetta, Yakuza, and Sakura Wars.

It's already announced for 2020 for the west with EIGFS subtitles.

May 13, 2019
Hey a Sakura Wars topic, I might as well ask this here: can anyone confirm that Kosuke Fujishima, character designer for the entire Sakura Taisen franchise, did not return for this game due to the controversy regarding Black Rose Valkyrie?

The gist of it it's that Fujishima only accepted to work on that game if his girlfriend got to voice the main heroine, despite her not being a VA or even having any previous voice work credits.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hey a Sakura Wars topic, I might as well ask this here: can anyone confirm that Kosuke Fujishima, character designer for the entire Sakura Taisen franchise, did not return for this game due to the controversy regarding Black Rose Valkyrie?

The gist of it it's that Fujishima only accepted to work on that game if his girlfriend got to voice the main heroine, despite her not being a VA or even having any previous voice work credits.
He may have just been busy, he has designs in the upcoming Tales Of mobile game.

Oct 27, 2017
He may have just been busy, he has designs in the upcoming Tales Of mobile game.

Interestingly enough though, he's not involved in Arise. I miss him :(

This is Sega's punishment for those who didn't buy VC4 lmao

To be fair, VC4 was just VC1 with a worse plot and characters, that was on them.

Here, it seems like they've done a great job translating the series into a new era, while retaining its original spirit. Everything else looks good, but maybe we should all wait to see a bit more gameplay before casting judgement: it could be Musou, or it could be an actual action RPG.

I'm leaning towards the latter because from what we've seen, it already looks more complex than Musou. And SEGA already hired Koei Tecmo for the Persona 5 Musou, it honestly wouldn't make sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Translated a whole bunch of new details from the official site, including the new characters and combat system if ya'll want to check that out:

Thanks Sal!

From this is definitely feels like it's honestly an evolution of Sakura Wars combat. But instead of managing unit location, it's more about dodging attacks and maximizing output.

Alright, still here for this.