• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Before watching this I find the concept of a story trailer for a mainline smt game to be a bit lol worthy. Just tell me which path will make me feel the most shit and I'll avoid it

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, between this and NTWEWY, this is an incredibly hype year. SMTV looks easily GotY material and honestly I expect this thing to take off with the masses if they keep marketing it like this.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Before watching this I find the concept of a story trailer for a mainline smt game to be a bit lol worthy. Just tell me which path will make me feel the most shit and I'll avoid it
Given that they never showed off the other humans before this trailer, I think it was much needed. We got a bit more info on the setup of the plot to begin with: no one knows how Tokyo ended up like this, something happened while they were in the highway tunnel.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer certainly did its job; I'm now more interested in the game after watching it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the general conceit will be a The Boys from Brazil thing where the school is a collection of reincarnations brought together to keep an eye on them.

I really, really hope not.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huge ass motherfucking Surt and Abbadon, that's what I'm talking about, baby.

The mood on this looks incredible, for real. The animation is also extremely detailed.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Huge ass motherfucking Surt and Abbadon, that's what I'm talking about, baby.

The mood on this looks incredible, for real. The animation is also extremely detailed.
That shot of Abaddon just being there in the field opening his mouth trying to take a chunk out of Nahobino was incredible.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
Yeah, between this and NTWEWY, this is an incredibly hype year. SMTV looks easily GotY material and honestly I expect this thing to take off with the masses if they keep marketing it like this.

It looks good, but to say easily GOTY material is a big reach. Atlus hasn't done anything close to that since Persona 4G

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blonde dude looks like the lovechild of Charlie and Akira from SMT If.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I really don't understand why there's normal ass people talking about demons and invasions/worlds as if it's some normal shit they're already experienced with. Nocturne was the same way and I really disliked it. Felt so incoherent and disconnected. SMTIV handled the story in a compelling and engaging way where the characters acted in a believable manner.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Very glad SMT is getting this kind of scope/coverage/hype
I am not some niche hipster person, please I need word for this game to fucking SPREAD

Mar 30, 2019
I really don't understand why there's normal ass people talking about demons and invasions/worlds as if it's some normal shit they're already experienced with. Nocturne was the same way and I really disliked it. Felt so incoherent and disconnected. SMTIV handled the story in a compelling and engaging way where the characters acted in a believable manner.

We don't have much context. So we don't know if it makes sense or not.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
My memory on 4A is super foggy, but I saw Nocturne as people immediately coming to the realization that that was their world from then on out, and they have to adapt like asap. Since Nocturne is more naturally on the chaotic alignment from the jump and their whole sthick is power over demons/survive in this fucked world with STRENGTH AND MIGHT in SMT storylines usually

lightning16

May 17, 2019
The game looks so good. I've never been particularly interested in SMT but I'm pretty excited for this.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The group seems more like JP's from Devil Survivor 2, a special organization prepared to face demons from the start. It's just not clear why they have to use teenagers here, but there probably will be some excuse.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
The group seems more like JP's from Devil Survivor 2, a special organization prepared to face demons from the start. It's just not clear why they have to use teenagers here, but there probably will be some excuse.
Honestly they might just be out of other options. Humanity seems to be pretty sparse

Plus at least one of those teenagers is bonded to a god so at least that's a good investment

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a non-steel book physical copy available for preorder in the US?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's because the Tokyo the protagonist is from is some kind of false reality, and every once in a while people slip from it into Da'ath.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably going to end up being GOTY. I don't see anything else this year capable of topping it.

This also made Pokemon look even more embarrassing than usual in terms of animation quality. There is just so much soul imbued into how the demons and Nahobino move.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks absolutely wild. Like, biggest Atlus game ever wild. The scope of everything is insane and it looks super polished.

Serious GOTY contender.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
This is probably going to end up being GOTY. I don't see much else his year topping it.

This also made Pokemon look even more embarrassing than usual in terms of animation quality. There is just so much soul imbued into how the demons and Nahobino move.
To be absolutely fair to Pokemon, they do have twice as many monsters at minimum

Now, would they be as good as SMTV if they had had the same number? Probably not. SMTV looks phenomenal. Just the scaling on some of these demons alone is just so good and makes them look really imposing (though I wonder if they'll be downscaled once they're on your team just for visibility's sake. We'll have to see)

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
So glad the people that were convinced this game didn't exist last year were wrong. Never lost faith

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
To be absolutely fair to Pokemon, they do have twice as many monsters at minimum

Now, would they be as good as SMTV if they had had the same number? Probably not. SMTV looks phenomenal. Just the scaling on some of these demons alone is just so good and makes them look really imposing (though I wonder if they'll be downscaled once they're on your team just for visibility's sake. We'll have to see)
Not to derail this into a Pokemon thread, but I think it's plenty fair to Pokemon. Pokemon is a lot bigger franchise and they still cut down the number of Pokemon from the full roster. My one hope when they announced there wouldn't be a national Dex was that they would just make the Pokemon that were there look better! They didn't do that, and that was disappointing.

SMT and Persona games have never been focused on having ALL the demons/Personas, but they pick a lot of those and make them look good (within budget). In Strange Journey, most of those demons did not have animated sprites before. They got those. IV and IV: A got the same treatment, rather than just having motionless 2D art. The PS2 era models looked good at the time, and still look decent today, albeit dated. SMTV is really taking that to a whole new level, and it's hard to look at that alongside Pokemon, which is also bringing a subset of it's monsters, and not be disappointed in Pokemon.

I don't buy in to all that "GaMe FrEaK lIeD!!!" bullshit, but I think it's frustrating to see Pokemon look rather poor like that.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017

Coming from Nocturne, the story and characters and choices for IV were so boring. And it weirdly had too much dialogue. Isabue was anything but believable to me.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm not really into RPGs but this game has my attention. The art style is so overtly vivid and the monster designs are incredibly unique.

Dec 23, 2017
Ke0VgrR.gif

Let's go! :p

9Vxa7W.gif

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine Team Maniax had everyone from the TMS, Devil Survivor, mainline SMT working all on this together. They must have been full-on deck with this game especially seeing how much it expanded from the 3DS games.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Kinda random to drop it now but it's an amazing trailer, the hype is building for SMTV. The time is nigh.

Am I wrong, or is this likely the graphically best-looking game on the Switch so far?
it's pretty hard to say, the Switch has such a wide variety of artstyles going on that it's hard to point at one and say "that's the one!". For instance if you look at Link's Awakening, can you really find a flaw in that art direction? I can't, does that make it the best? maybe. I think the contenders are probably Luigi's Mansion 3, Alien Isolation, Astral Chain and Odyssey. I definitely think SMTV will warrant a spot among those if the framerate doesn't drop too frequently.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Ah I finally watched it. Good to know I get to kill my friends all over again (based off that moment where he stabs that girl).

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
Game looks incredible! Also love all the over-the-top poses Nahobino does when attacking.

I'm wondering if we will at some point fight Demi-Fiend too given we are going against Lucifer and his army, assuming the True Demon Ending in Nocturne was canon?