• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Good ish timing. My launch copy from Amazon still is in the return window so I️ re ordered. Stoked to save $20

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Solid game at that price, but ymmv depending on what you like about SMT.

It's a decent game that clearly had a somewhat turbulent development and I can't help but feel is less than the sum of its parts.

The one warning I'd give is that if anyone plays SMT primarily for the story and atmosphere, towns, NPCs, worldbuilding, visually distinctive dungeons and unique sidequests, I'd recommend reconsidering. There just isn't much on any of these fronts that the game offers. The core "world map" navigation equivalent is really solid, though with a lot of flaws in even that as well.

Very much a side grade with a lot a of steps back that depending on what you care about might be a bit of a dealbreaker.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Solid game at that price, but ymmv depending on what you like about SMT.

It's a decent game that clearly had a somewhat turbulent development and I can't help but feel is less than the sum of its parts.

The one warning I'd give is that if anyone plays SMT primarily for the story and atmosphere, towns, NPCs, worldbuilding, visually distinctive dungeons and unique sidequests, I'd recommend reconsidering. There just isn't much on any of these fronts that the game offers. The core "world map" navigation equivalent is really solid, though with a lot of flaws in even that as well.

Very much a side grade with a lot a of steps back that depending on what you care about might be a bit of a dealbreaker.

I'm wondering if I should actually not pick this up then. You aren't the first to say that, and difficult gameplay heavy games are much less my thing than good characters/story.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still on the fence. I was hoping for a PC version with better performance and whatnot, but the price for the Switch version might make up the difference. How does it compare to SMT IV? That's the only game I've played in the series and I fucking hated it if I'm being honest.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I'm wondering if I should actually not pick this up then. You aren't the first to say that, and difficult gameplay heavy games are much less my thing than good characters/story.

Yeah if that's what you're looking for I'd say stay away. Nocturne or IV or heck, even Persona might be better ways to experience the admittedly very fun demon fusion system and press turns combat.

It's funny because pre-launch I thought the "persona without the soul" comments were misguided and judging the game for something it wasn't, and I think they still kinda do that, but the game very much opens itself up to that sort of interpretation by positioning itself as a character-focused game and then proceeding to borderline nothing with the characters and story or world for something like 20-30 hours.

Edit: I should point out all these games have easy difficulty modes, but even then idk if the story and characters in V would be a good fit for you versus, say, the easy difficulty mode in Nocturne or 4 or any Persona game.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
You sure you didn't buy it pre-owned? Because that's what the price is for pre-owned.
Screenshot_20211205-121526_Samsung_Internet.jpg

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Still on the fence. I was hoping for a PC version with better performance and whatnot, but the price for the Switch version might make up the difference. How does it compare to SMT IV? That's the only game I've played in the series and I fucking hated it if I'm being honest.
What did you hate about IV?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell me that SMTV bombed or something - So many people were banking on this being SMT's big break riding the wave of Persona 5.

Honestly kind of depressing and fucked if "Persona without the heart" really is something in the mainstream consciousness of the JRPG audience.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Don't tell me that SMTV bombed or something - So many people were banking on this being SMT's big break riding the wave of Persona 5.

Honestly kind of depressing and fucked if "Persona without the heart" really is something in the mainstream consciousness of the JRPG audience.
Keeping it real, a price drop this quickly indicates units didn't meet their expectations. I don't know if it bombed though.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 Royal would be the better investment if looking for something focused on characters and story, yet still providing the demon negotiation/collection/fusion focus of something under the Megaten umbrella while also still being set in Tokyo. P5R is currently cheaper than SMT V and is going for $30 on Amazon now.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I realistically wouldn't get to it until at least summer. I could even buy it used at that point, and I don't need the steelbook.

It took me all the way until the last checkout button press to realize that. Close one
Lmao, I was about to check out too and then I realized I'm spending close to $40 on a game that will sit in my backlog for a long time. Better to just wait for the usual price drop to ~ $20 - 25 amirite

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if that's what you're looking for I'd say stay away. Nocturne or IV or heck, even Persona might be better ways to experience the admittedly very fun demon fusion system and press turns combat.

It's funny because pre-launch I thought the "persona without the soul" comments were misguided and judging the game for something it wasn't, and I think they still kinda do that, but the game very much opens itself up to that sort of interpretation by positioning itself as a character-focused game and then proceeding to borderline nothing with the characters and story or world for something like 20-30 hours.

Edit: I should point out all these games have easy difficulty modes, but even then idk if the story and characters in V would be a good fit for you versus, say, the easy difficulty mode in Nocturne or 4 or any Persona game.

Persona 5 Royal would be the better investment if looking for something focused on characters and story, yet still providing the demon negotiation/collection/fusion focus of something under the Megaten umbrella while also still being set in Tokyo. P5R is currently cheaper than SMT V and is going for $30 on Amazon now.

For sure P5R is a better match. It's also probably my favorite game so I've been there done that 😂.

I'm currently playing through Strange Journey at the moment which im actually enjoying a good bit. I also enjoyed my time with SMT IV despite getting stuck one too many times and letting it slip. I also own Devil Survivor.

Butt I couldn't stop my brother in time from grabbing it for me, so now SMTV is on the to play stack alongside Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Arise, Lost Judgement, Persona 5 Strikers and NEO The World Ends With You. I'm fucked

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
Keeping it real, a price drop this quickly indicates units didn't meet their expectations. I don't know if it bombed though.
The only thing I know is that in Canada it was sold-out everywhere and I was able to get a copy on Best Buy (the steel box version)… few minutes after I grabbed it, the game was out of stock again.

It's strange we are talking about the steal box edition

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
LOOOOL fuck I ordered one of these at launch because I figured I might as well and it hasn't arrived yet. Flooding near me delaying shipments, yet somehow everything else I've ordered in the same timeframe has arrived by now.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I was hopping to get a copy day one, but I never got around to getting it.

Now I have the steel book version for $24 less than retail. I'm pretty dang happy.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
If these games were not so challenging this would be "sure why not" territory. I think I can't bring myself to play difficult games anymore, I am a filthy casual baby now.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every game has been on sale for the Holiday season. It's just part of the game now and doesn't have too much to do with bombing or not meeting expectations.

Hardware sales are very high right now so retailers will get more agressive with software pricing to move higher volume of software alongside the console sales.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Pretty much every game has been on sale for the Holiday season. It's just part of the game now and doesn't have too much to do with bombing or not meeting expectations.

Hardware sales are very high right now so retailers will get more agressive with software pricing to move higher volume of software alongside the console sales.
Forza H 5 wasn't on sale and they released around the same time IIRC. Like a poster said, it's only the steal box version so it could be that these didn't meet expectations.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Forza H 5 wasn't on sale and they released around the same time IIRC. Like a poster said, it's only the steal box version so it could be that these didn't meet expectations.
FH5 is more of an exception than the rule, let alone the fact that these are completely different kind of games. No matter now low you go with FH you aren't beating the GamePass sub price for it.

You might not necessarily be wrong but a game being on sale at one retailer during Holidays doesn't mean it underperforms, if that's the case 90% of releases are underperforming.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I ordered a copy while it was out of stock for full price and it has been at "shipping now" for like 4 days, so I can't cancel and get the sale price.

WHACK.

edit: Amazon guy said they can't price match and the reason I can't cancel is because it is in "advanced shipping" (fuck off) and advised me to just order another at the sale price and return/refuse shipment of the old one.

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Sort of instantly regretting my impulse buy because I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it but the praise has been so high I couldn't help but be curious. Damn lol

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
As tempting as this is, I bought way too many games over the past week with the other Gamestop Switch game sales. Gonna wait on this.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Does anyone know if gamestop does price adjustments? Like will they give credit(Store credit) if I show them this?

I bought it like 10 minutes before closing at 49.94, then I see this price later on yesterday and was wondering if I can get the difference.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Does anyone know if gamestop does price adjustments? Like will they give credit(Store credit) if I show them this?

I bought it like 10 minutes before closing at 49.94, then I see this price later on yesterday and was wondering if I can get the difference.

Buy another copy and return it with your original receipt

dawg, every gamestop near me in a 20 mile radius is sold out lol

gonna start calling just to see if one of em got one

Buy a copy online since it still shows in stock?

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I stacked a $10 and a $15 reward on top of the deal and got the game for $12. I've been on the fence about this game but this is too good to pass on.

Sep 15, 2020
I ordered a copy while it was out of stock for full price and it has been at "shipping now" for like 4 days, so I can't cancel and get the sale price.

WHACK.

edit: Amazon guy said they can't price match and the reason I can't cancel is because it is in "advanced shipping" (fuck off) and advised me to just order another at the sale price and return/refuse shipment of the old one.

weird been reading about people calling up Gamestop and just getting credit on their account. no direct card refund tho.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I mean people you can just check and see that a crap ton of more recent games have big discounts for Black Friday and the holidays. Sega ones like Lost Judgement and Demon Slayer, and then other games like Tales of Arise.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Did the game bomb hard? It's weird to see such a big discount so soon.
The discount is only for the launch edition and not the regular edition so it might just be GameStop trying to get rid of its stock of the bulkier launch copies. And then Amazon copied GameStop's promotion to be competitive like they normally do. Though it's questionable how much stock of the Launch Edition that Amazon still has considering the lengthy shipping dates. Amazon's copies are probably spread out unequally throughout their fulfillment centers.