• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Man, Atlus are going full throttle with the advertising campaign for this game in it's home country, aren't they?

Metatron is the coolest demon and I don't even like Law.

Great design, without a doubt. I really love Odin's SMT IV redesign, but I'm a bit more iffy with another Norse God they've added to SMT V's roster, which reminds me more of Red Ridding Hood than a goddess of eternal youth.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
lol I meant "Yakushiji". What's it mean?

Yakushiji Megumi is one of the characters in 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Whoever mentioned it just really likes the game.

If you're asking about the meaning of the name:

• The name "Megumi" means "blessing" (恵).
  • Megumi's surname Yakushiji means "medicine" (薬) (yaku), "teacher, master" (師) (shi) and "temple" (寺) (ji).

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yakushiji Megumi is one of the characters in 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Whoever mentioned it just really likes the game.

If you're asking about the meaning of the name:

• The name "Megumi" means "blessing" (恵).
  • Megumi's surname Yakushiji means "medicine" (薬) (yaku), "teacher, master" (師) (shi) and "temple" (寺) (ji).

Thank you!

I also love that game, but I didn't even make the connection lol

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I like how they make a point to show the Super Famicom (system and controller being held) and the 3DS but when it comes time to show Nocturne it's just a TV with the controller being held curiously blocked. Just pretend that one wasn't on a Sony console lol.

I assume Nintendo is involved in the marketing campaign somewhere in the background.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
What are y'all going with for the protagonist name? I always struggle with this as I prefer canon or like.. the communities pick. If that makes any sense. Figured I'd ask now before I take an hour on Thursday night.
I have a handful of character names I've used for various games, mainly MMOs, and I'm thinking, provided it fits, I'll go with Loistus Harnith.

I'm giving it til Wednesday on my Amazon order, and if I get no movement at all, I'm just cancelling and grabbing it digital. I fucked up ordering so late, waiting til Friday morning when I was paid. Then, we had an area-wide internet and data outage for a few days, came back to see the shitshow of the stock issues or whatever. I never even got an estimate, just a 'we'll email you when we have an estimate', so I don't have high hopes.

SMT is the only series I have anything close to a physical 'collection' at this point, so I'd have liked a copy, but I'll live if not. I'm dying to play the game at this point.

Mar 30, 2019
Great design, without a doubt. I really love Odin's SMT IV redesign, but I'm a bit more iffy with another Norse God they've added to SMT V's roster, which reminds me more of Red Ridding Hood than a goddess of eternal youth.

Apples are important to her lore too and her dress looks similiar to traditional scandinavian dresses, so it is fitting at least.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone seen the game out early here in Toronto? Taking a 5 hour train ride on Thursday and would love to be playing it then.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Starting to think I might be going Law.

Theres just something about the protagonist's design that just keeps drawing me back to it. He just looks like a Law hero to me.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So i looked in to emulators further turns out i was wrong (and i apologize for it) and playing the game in ryujinx is the only way to get correct graphics in an emulator atm, gustave's room is a good way to illustrate this:

Yuzu vulkan with broken shaders:

Yw6k3aZ.png

Yuzu opengl (glasm) textures are not loading correctly:

S5ry8A4.png

ryujinx opengl everything looks as it should:

q0y6qdl.png

we will probably see some fixes when the game is officially released as always.

Edit: Upscaling is already fixed in Ryujinx so no need to use 1x anymore.

Last edited:

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
2 hours in and the game is awesome, but it looks extremely blurry on hanheld. Not at Xenoblade's levels but not much better neither.

Jun 24, 2019
lol I meant "Yakushiji". What's it mean?

13-sentinels-aegis-rim.fandom.com

Megumi Yakushiji

This page is about Megumi Yakushiji, one of the protagonists. For other characters with the same name, please visit Megumi (disambiguation). For the more spoiler-filled details about the character, go to File No. 005 of the Mystery Files. Megumi Yakushiji (薬師寺 恵 Yakushiji Megumi) is a...

Jun 24, 2019
"You'll pay for your transgressions against God, Shin Megumi Tensei! Damn you!"

oh man if the protag was named shin 'megami' tensei which means true goddess reincarnate, the protagonist is reclaiming his throne to God(ess)hood. Shin 'megumi' tensei means true blessing reincarnate or true love reincarnate , it fits either way

even more ironic that his name being love , when SMT V was tagged "Persona without the heart"

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
2 hours in and the game is awesome, but it looks extremely blurry on hanheld. Not at Xenoblade's levels but not much better neither.
Would you say its closer to Bravely Default 2/Dragon Quest XI in handheld mode? They were blurry but still looked good thanks to the art style.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Still no DLC or premium bundle available on the EU eShop. I'm wondering why they are available in the US or in Japan but not where I actually would like to purchase the game from.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who ordered the Premium edition with the UK Nintendo Store had any movement? I've been charged but it's still processing. I've never used them before so I'm really hoping they get it to me for release day.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Still no DLC or premium bundle available on the EU eShop. I'm wondering why they are available in the US or in Japan but not where I actually would like to purchase the game from.

Yeah its weird. I used a voucher and not sure if I will be able to get the dlc bundle. People seem to think the DLC will be up on the day of release but there is no official confirmation.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
Anyone who ordered the Premium edition with the UK Nintendo Store had any movement? I've been charged but it's still processing. I've never used them before so I'm really hoping they get it to me for release day.
They took payment for mine on Friday, but I haven't heard anything from them.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I am jealous of all you people getting the game early or seeing it ship early. Mine still has not moved according to Amazon.

HylianSeven are you getting the Demi-Fiend DLC day one?

Agreed. But conveniently, most people pirating the game would tell you that they are also purchasing a legal copy. I sure hope so. I wish SMT would explode like Persona did with 5.
Nah, probably waiting a bit because I probably won't be high enough level or have good enough demons to even stand a chance.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
It took forever for the game to be available for preorder on the EU eshop in the first place. And now we're a few days before release and we still don't have official prices of the DLCs for the UK right? Just weird

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I just use my IRL name in these (except I have to shorten my surname cause games suck and typically allow 8 characters max).

There's a lot of footage of the game now and I've been watching it and tempering my expectations tbh. Obviously it's too early to say because I haven't played it yet, but I think this is going in a direction I didn't want it to / that doesn't actually add anything meaningful (while losing out on a lot of SMT positives). Like, they were cagey with the structure of the game and I can see why.

Helloween

Oct 27, 2017
If its any help, every single time ive ordered from them i get it bang on day of release

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I just use my IRL name in these (except I have to shorten my surname cause games suck and typically allow 8 characters max).

There's a lot of footage of the game now and I've been watching it and tempering my expectations tbh. Obviously it's too early to say because I haven't played it yet, but I think this is going in a direction I didn't want it to / that doesn't actually add anything meaningful (while losing out on a lot of SMT positives). Like, they were cagey with the structure of the game and I can see why.

I'm interested to see how the more open-ended structure works out this time around. Honestly the core appeal of SMT for me has always been collecting, fusing, and fighting demons. Dungeons were always more appealing for me as visual spectacles as I find Atlus' traditional dungeon gimmicks like teleporters more annoying than anything else. So if the world structure encourages that core loop I'm here for it. I already got a good amount of dungeon crawling in Nocturne a few months ago.

Now the only thing, is that the lowered demon count compared to something like IV might fuck with the pacing a bit. When I first played that game with its like 400+ demons I was just fusing dudes constantly. Every ten minutes was another dopamine hit. A higher demon count might benefit a more open structure like this game's.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Amazon just ship it early this morning, in the mail tomorrow.

Mine is still showing ordered and hasn't moved to shipped yet. That said, it's only Tuesday, and their release date guarantee is such that they can usually ship something to me the day before release and I'll still get it. Shipping isn't too terrible up here in the northeast.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
absolutely killer headline on this Waypoint piece. Good article, too.

www.vice.com

Shin Megami Tensei V Killed God and You're Next

Before getting wrapped up in the game's narrative, a sweeping story about the role of God in society, you have to understand that this world doesn't care about you at all.
I had to, at one point, put my Switch down after losing a random encounter before I even had a chance to attack.
I've definitely had this happen a handful of times per SMT I've played, and it honestly is always a damper on my enjoyment. Was hoping the removal of smirk would dull such sharp edges tbh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely had this happen a handful of times per SMT I've played, and it honestly is always a damper on my enjoyment. Was hoping the removal of smirk would dull such sharp edges tbh.

I always always always ALWAYS save immediately whenever I find a save point.

The first couple of hours of an SMT game are always rough because low-level demons tend to have like ONE weakness and ONE resistance and the weakness is almost always more plentiful than the resistance as far as enemy damage output is concerned. But once you move forward a bit, you can USUALLY counteract your demons' weaknesses with thoughtful party composition like making sure you have a Repel or Absorb demon for one of your other demons' weaknesses, that way if an enemy casts Maragion or Mazandyne right out of the gate, their turn ends instead of them just getting to pound you to death with bonus press turns.

Lunoir

Aug 31, 2019
Massachusetts

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I always always always ALWAYS save immediately whenever I find a save point.

The first couple of hours of an SMT game are always rough because low-level demons tend to have like ONE weakness and ONE resistance and the weakness is almost always more plentiful than the resistance as far as enemy damage output is concerned. But once you move forward a bit, you can USUALLY counteract your demons' weaknesses with thoughtful party composition like making sure you have a Repel or Absorb demon for one of your other demons' weaknesses, that way if an enemy casts Maragion or Mazandyne right out of the gate, their turn ends instead of them just getting to pound you to death with bonus press turns.
Yup, that's pretty much how the game wants you to play, I think. In my mind, you don't get reliable access to a decent spread of resists until you're out of the early game, so it's always a toss up until that point. I agree that early game is especially brutal due to what you said, but also how demon negotiation is like weighted random or something. I think there's a conversation here about how the inverse difficulty curve affects mainstream appeal.