• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
So far from the limited footage I've watched, the only characters once dropped into the other dimension is the main character. It is safe to say that there will be other important characters along the way. The gameplay, story and especially the characters is what I love about persona. If SMT is mostly gameplay and the world, not sure it will be for me.
The structure of this game is still largely unknown to us, but this is likely not going to be a game where you spend a lot of time interacting with human NPCs. It will likely be pushing forward to the next objective, building your demon party along the way. There is a supporting cast, but we don't know how involved they are or how often you'll see them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The structure of this game is still largely unknown to us, but this is likely not going to be a game where you spend a lot of time interacting with human NPCs. It will likely be pushing forward to the next objective, building your demon party along the way. There is a supporting cast, but we don't know how involved they are or how often you'll see them.
It could have some Devil Summoner style Normal World interactions.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
...so they're saving Mara's video for last right lol?
200.gif

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The have images with characters speech bubbles in the school and in the demon world as well

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So far from the limited footage I've watched, the only characters once dropped into the other dimension is the main character. It is safe to say that there will be other important characters along the way. The gameplay, story and especially the characters is what I love about persona. If SMT is mostly gameplay and the world, not sure it will be for me.
I wouldnt let that stop you for trying something new and maybe find a different style of game you might fall in love with, smt is not suppose to be persona. Also smt has great story maybe even more mature and better than persona. Also smt 4 had a big cast with kany character interactions and I think 5 will be the same.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMT is mostly gameplay and world, yeah. They are not at all character-focused stories for the most part, though Shin Megami Tensei V may prove different in that regard given how heavily promoted the extended cast of human and plot-important demons have been and in particular how the protagonist has a godly sidekick who's giving him his current powers, so there's always someone around. Ideally it'd be the best of both worlds, still driven by themes and philosophies but the characters who embody them have more compelling and natural character arcs, but we'll have to see.

However if you're into that and you have a PS3 lying around, you could try Digital Devil Saga since it's structured more like a traditional RPG with character-focused storytelling and party members instead of demon recruitment.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
SMT is mostly gameplay and world, yeah. They are not at all character-focused stories for the most part, though Shin Megami Tensei V may prove different in that regard given how heavily promoted the extended cast of human and plot-important demons have been and in particular how the protagonist has a godly sidekick who's giving him his current powers, so there's always someone around. Ideally it'd be the best of both worlds, still driven by themes and philosophies but the characters who embody them have more compelling and natural character arcs, but we'll have to see.

However if you're into that and you have a PS3 lying around, you could try Digital Devil Saga since it's structured more like a traditional RPG with character-focused storytelling and party members instead of demon recruitment.
Honestly, I prefer the standard SMT approach to SMTIV: Apocalypse, which had a more standard JRPG party travelling with you (for good or ill as it descends into genre cliches far too often), each with their own arc. They don't take part in battle, though they do offer assistance in their own way. It was such a weird constant tonal shift between SMT philosophy/horror and anime highjinks though. For a game that acted as a direct sequel to IV with many of the same recurring NPCs, a far closer sequel than most JRPGs, it felt completely different in tone. Shame really, as it did improve on some elements too (like SMTIV's map).

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about the alignments in SMT in general, and I was thinking it would be nice to add additional endings based in "Neutral-Law" and "Neutral-Chaos", not just Law, Neutral and Chaos. I don't know how many endings are planned in SMT V, so who knows what they are doing.

I've been thinking how this could have been handled in SMT IV. Here are them explained in spoiler section:
  • NOTHINGNESS: everything is destroyed
  • LAW: Tokyo is completely destroyed, those in Mikado who don't follow God are killed
  • Neutral-Law: everyone in Tokyo is brought to Mikado, Tokyo is destroyed
  • NEUTRAL: everyone in Mikado is brought to Tokyo, Mikado is destroyed
  • Neutral-Chaos: everyone in Tokyo is brought to Mikado, Tokyo is not destroyed
  • CHAOS: demons have finally access to Mikado
I don't know how these would have been later brought into the story. I was just thinking that it would have been nice to add the option of bringing every unclean one to Mikado and screw Tokyo.

Probably my ideas are dumb, but I just wanted to talk about this.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it will be posted on Nintendo's other YouTube channels at some point, but a new trailer that's dubbed was posted on this Nintendo South Africa Distributor channel:

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
The new trailer doesn't actually show anything new but I really like the editing.

I really appreciate that there's been no attempt to draw in Persona fans and just sell SMT on its own merits. I don't dislike Persona, but mainline SMT and Persona's identities are different enough that this will just set unnecessary expectations...

Borrowing generalized ideas of what people seemed to like about Persona hurt SMTIV Apocalypse. I'm not expecting Persona from SMTV obviously, but the shadow of Apocalypse's narrative looms and I'll take any bit of reassurance I can get.

Sep 14, 2018
I need to come up with a good answer to 'I played persona, is this for me' question so everyone can just point to the op. I'll probably just grab something one of you said here, whoever gave the best (and shortest) answer, you will win 1 internet point.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I need to come up with a good answer to 'I played persona, is this for me' question so everyone can just point to the op. I'll probably just grab something one of you said here, whoever gave the best (and shortest) answer, you will win 1 internet point.
Shin Megami Tensei games involve some kind of world-ending scenario, and are focused on gameplay and philosophies of rebuilding the world rather than socializing with friends. Persona DOES pull from the same pool of monsters that Persona uses as Personas, save for a few that are made exclusively for Persona. They share a lot of mechanics in aspects like the combat and fusion, but SMT goes from dungeon to dungeon rather than having any kind of calendar or focus on making friends with people.

If you like the dungeon crawling of Persona 5 (as P3 and P4 are randomly generated dungeons), the combat, fusion, and the creature designs in Persona 5, you might like this game.

Sep 14, 2018
Shin Megami Tensei games involve some kind of world-ending scenario, and are focused on gameplay and philosophies of rebuilding the world rather than socializing with friends. Persona DOES pull from the same pool of monsters that Persona uses as Personas, save for a few that are made exclusively for Persona. They share a lot of mechanics in aspects like the combat and fusion, but SMT goes from dungeon to dungeon rather than having any kind of calendar or focus on making friends with people.

If you like the dungeon crawling of Persona 5 (as P3 and P4 are randomly generated dungeons), the combat, fusion, and the creature designs in Persona 5, you might like this game.
Fine take your point. I will link several answers in a 'this is what the community says' way, to really leave no doubt.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
hope we see some new characters and perhaps even see what the actual alignment stuff is this time around

Nov 1, 2020
Mada: Hades Blast +3 (50 MP)/Trisagion +5 (48 MP)/Mediarahan +3 (112 MP)/Debilitate +2 (119 MP)
Quetzalcoatl: Agilao +4 (16 MP)/Maragion +4 (24 MP)/Zanma +4 (16 MP)/Windbreath +4 (20 MP)/Matarunda +2 (23 MP)/Recarm (20 MP)
Incubus: Dream Needle (10 MP)/Marin Karin +5 (7 MP)/Life Drain (10 MP)/Zanma +1 (18 MP)/Madness Needle (10 MP)
Ippon-Datara: Buchikamashi +2 (13 MP)/Heatwave +2 (13 MP)/Tarukaja +2 (6 MP)/Chouhatsu +2 (7 MP)

Trisagion got changed from severe to heavy power (still single target), but now with piercing; like how Ice Age got changed. Can't say that I expected Mada to have +3 in recovery.
Buchikamashi is single target light to heavy power physical attack, with the power dependent on user's remaining HP. Basically a weaker Muscle Punch.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone ordered from the UK Nintendo Store before? I have the collector's edition on preorder there but if there's a chance it won't get to me at launch, I'll just cancel and order the steelbook version from elsewhere.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Demi-Fiend as DLC. That DLC pack sounds the best honestly. I love how he has the starter Pixie.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly going to get the Demi-Fiend DLC, it seemed to have the most bang for buck in it. The rest seemed kind of not worth it. The usual "get stuff easier" ones definitely not worth it.

Like ILikeFeet said, new trailer next week, and also Famitsu column on 10/28!

Sep 14, 2018

Tsuchigumo, Mokoi next.

I was kinda dreading the confirmation that there will not be a harder difficulty.

Artemis and Mephisto look pretty cool. And Demi-Fiend <3

Looks like Sophia starts that DLC quest giving you the menorah of knowledge, the one that Raidou/Dante have in Nocturne.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
So if I understood the DLC news right. Demi-Fiend + Fiends are DLC (one pack), as well as a few other demons and the Mitamas in separate packs?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Those DLC prices are insane.
Demi-Fiend looks like it might be worth it since it's a series of bosses and possibly a new locale (although it might just be the place you go and where you fight Demi-Fiend, that's it, no dungeon). The rest of them have the energy of a lot of the IV and IV:A DLCs where it was just a scenario where you get thrown into a boss to get the special demon.

It's funny that Cleopatra is DLC again. She was in Apocalypse too.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
These were all the DLCs:

Demi-Fiend + Fiends
Artemis
Cleopatra
Mephisto
Mitama for items
Mitama for Glory
Mitama for Macca
-Demi-Fiend + Fiends are 1 DLC pack
-Artemis
-Cleopatra
-Mephisto
-Mitama EXP
-Mitama Macca
-Mitama Glory
Yeah. It seems like Demi-Fiend + the Fiends is one ~$10 pack, Artemis/Cleopatra/Mephisto are like ~$5, and the Mitamas are like ~$4 a pop
Got it, thanks for the summary. Fiends being behind DLC is a bummer, could care less about the rest.