• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's been said before but it really is crazy how much coverage/marketing a SMT game is getting. Never thought I'd see the day.

SMT V is really exceeding my expectations. I never thought it would be this cinematic-like goddamn.

Seems like they are really trying something different especially being able to fully walk around the world like that.
I feel extremely confident that it's going to be the best-selling mainline SMT title by quite a bit (plus with the Switch effect). Will be interesting to see by how much.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apocalypse is a unique entry in that it's more of an inter-quel (inter-sequel?). It branches off at the climax of one of the paths of the original entry of IV into something completely different.

Interestingly enough, if you truly hate Apocalypse's story, you can technically write it off as non-canon/it never happened as the game actually presents itself in the same way. Shame we never got the Double Pack that Japan got ;/

Nov 1, 2020
I like the Black Frost marching in place in the fusion result.
Is the wolf casting Souffle D'eclair new?
I'm digging the lady in red.
Nahobino looks cool summoning a tidal wave in Thalassic Calamity, but jeez, it's not that much taller than Ooyamatsumi. I wonder if that attack's animation scales in size, or it's always that big and Ooyamatsumi being the mountain he is just makes it look not as impressive as it'd normally be.
Hell yea, it does look like a Kuzunoha. And he's dressing like that in modern times.
Wonder if dual wielding will be just a cutscene thing for the Nahobino.
Aww, I hope that doggy isn't on our list of victims in the kill 'em all route.
Press Turn system, I love you; you're my favorite form of turn based battling. But I must admit that I hold doubt in your ability to scale beyond four party members. I say this because I wish that in times when there's a heroine who seems likely to be with the protagonist for a long time, that said heroine is also an active party member (a la the older games). And I personally think that the series feels best when the percentage of demons making up the active party can be higher than 50%*.

*Last Bible I/Revelations: The Demon Slayer eventually has you running 3 humans/3 demons. I'd say that was roughly the tipping point of the party not feeling quite customizable enough, relative to what drew me into the series.

I wonder about that Archangel... We saw in the classic designs in the early teaser, but have we seen the classic designs in any actual game footage so far?
The generic 'Archangel'? Vol 40 of the daily videos.
The usual specific named Archangels? Uriel's vol 19.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Only the 1st and 2nd had connection to each other in the main line series, no?

IV was mostly standalone, but it did have the oddity of Stephen from I and II running around as a story character, and never getting a proper introduction/backstory in IV/Apocalypse themselves.

The generic 'Archangel'? Vol 40 of the daily videos.
The usual specific named Archangels? Uriel's vol 19.
I completely forgot about him. I guess this means that Archangel is new, rather than just a redesigned Gabriel.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Amazing trailer! Lots of new demons, Danu being one I wasn't expecting. I love Law-dy Gaga demon.

Seeing that Kuzunoha lookalike character gives me a ton of blind hope for future Raidou games.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
The Last of Metroid

I kinda feel Sakamoto needs an editor to reel him in...

Kinda like Kojima.

Nope, they are stand alone.

I wonder about that Archangel... We saw the classic designs in the early teaser, but have we seen the classic designs in any actual game footage so far?

It's completely standalone.

For this one? No. Outside of a few exceptions, most mainline SMTs are self-contained

No, at most there will be slight nods to past games, and maybe a super boss or something.

Thanks all, can't wait to play this on the OLED Switch.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Even though a lot of them are Doi's demons from the 3DS games, it's really nice that they picked a handful of demons for the roster that never appeared in 3D for the series.

And these animations are so good :D

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
ZuHkLm.gif

Her other form looks fantastic.

Zu7Fxx.png

ZuHvjA.gif

It all looks so damn good.

Last edited:

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
I've never played any Shin Megami games but these trailers have done a great job of convincing me to get it even if all I know is hard rpg.

Sep 14, 2018
I see her absorbing magatsuhi, I've seen some enemies exploding into it a few times in the showcases. Clearly it's back as a major element.

I'm also interested in maybe others wanting to turn themselves into nahobinos too, though that just reminds me of Isamu and Chiaki turning themselves into fiends lol. All been done before I guess.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Very nice trailer. And the Raidou-lookalike is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita it seems... which was the VA for Raidou in Nocturne HD. It's clearly him. Or another member of his family

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
While I'm still hopeful there's a connection there, I noticed that guy's outfit is more like a Japanese police uniform than what Raidou's was based on. Present day Kuzunoha, perhaps.

Jun 24, 2019
I think I am going to stop watching the trailers as I'm spoiling me-self too much

Yay for the red lady! Her second transformation look so good, and did you see that walk? SWAG

Happy to see Sukuna-Hikona in 3D

Oh is the Prime Minister that guy dripped in a modernised version of Japanese old-school military uniform or is he an actual Raidou Kuzunoha?

It'd be hilarious if he is a Kuzunoha

Nah scratch that....

what would make it better if he was like the great-grandson of Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

upd: LOOOOOOoool that ain't the prime minister at all

it's some other guy

he's voiced by Sugita and the PM is voiced by Suda

like duh *bonk head*

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
According to tweets, that guy Prime Minister is dressed in a stylised Japanese police uniform.

Maybe he's the 'Head of Law Enforcement'

Atlus must really hate politicians and policemen lol

upd: corrections

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
That cloak is also not something commonly worn, is it? If it's just a cop it's still cool, but I'm wondering what the deal is. He's ready to go 1 on 1 with Nahobino…

Yeah it's a stylised version of the police uniform

Colour me surprised that he's not on the side of LAW & ORDER....or shall I say colour me navy. Best bet he works for Bethlem, so a new ally or adversary.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Red demon lady sure is a mood. I think i've never heared such an arrogant "Hahaha" on top of that walk ... no, strut. I can already see her and Gold Angel lady clashing hard, in personality alone.

I'll scream like a teenage girl at a boyband concert if this katana guy ends up being related to Raidou. And i'll scream like that again if that would mean they plan on making a new Devil Summoner game based on the SMTV engine.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Yoooo, just saw the trailer! That's totally a Raidou! Not gonna lie, almost want to go in to the dark since the game is showing of so much! Starting to get hyped big time now...

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I wonder if they also are able to push so many trailers/news/piece of information because, due to worldwide release and Nintendo helping in publishing, they already finished the game sometimes ago so they can cut any trailer they want because that's the only work they have left eh.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they also are able to push so many trailers/news/piece of information because, due to worldwide release and Nintendo helping in publishing, they already finished the game sometimes ago so they can cut any trailer they want because that's the only work they have left eh.
I dunno, 3 months till release. I can see them polishing for another month.

Oct 25, 2017
The cop running around with a katana seems kinda bizarre though, but if the japanese fns think it's not raidou what do i know.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I think that was the last trailer I watched? Even out of context I saw some really cool stuff already. The relese isn't that far away, so I will keep everything else as as a surprise for me. That being said: The latest trailer is absolutely fantastic. That "maybe Raidou, maybe his grandson" moment. Yoooo, let's go.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I was surprised at first by how rarely they showed up, but I kind of appreciated the very lonely, "abstract" tone of the game
This is the strong point of SMT III for sure, it feels different to other JRPGs, even if I don't like how the characters and story are presented it's true that it has a unique and abstract tone.

About the new trailer, it looks simply amazing. I love how we at last have a fully 3D SMT game that can show the amazing demon art, Nocturne has rather basic models and animations (it's a Ps2 game) and IV/IV:A have the amazing pixel art but the sprites are "static". SMT V seems to have the best of the two styles, plus a higher budget and lots of cinematics. I also love how the new demons look, it seems the game will have a good balance of the old and known Kaneko demons and new additions, which is what I wanted from a full new SMT game. As others said, I also hope that the story is new and interesting and they do something cool with the alignment system.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
should have shown all the Three Fates in one video

they always look weird when they aren't together

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
If our friends are using the Digital Devil Program to summon their demons if they take part in the inevitable fights with them or if we just fight their 'mons.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
So I have wondered how the SMT series would have performed if they assigned the name "Digital Devil Story" outside of Japan.

Of course that would contradict with the Megami Tensei novels which had the subtitle of "Digital Devil Story". I guess that if they originally had the subtitle "Devil Story" that would have been possible.

Obviously this will never ever happen, but the name "Digital Devil Story" sounds really good to me, much better than "Shin Megami Tensei". "Digital Devil Story: Nocturne", "Digital Devil Story: Strange Journey", "Digital Devil Story IV" among others. It could be because I'm not used to series' names in Japanese.

I know all this sounds stupid but i just wanted to say this. Keep calm and just 3 months till SMT V comes out.