• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019

Here is the link to the Atlus West trailer. It says Bethel trailer, so probably going to be focused on plot and factions.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I just finished Nocturne HD and the overall story was rather weak and simplistic, it lacked any real impact compared of what SMT IV or Strange Journey have. The Reasons are more interesting than the traditional chaos/law routes but the execution was poor, mostly because the characters are weak and the game lacks shocking events or interesting story developments.

Both IV and SJ have a strong opening (interesting setup, impacting revelations) and a cast of characters that slowly changes during the plot instead of "something happening offscreen and then all of them become radically attached to some random idea".
Hmm, really? That was actually one of my main issues with SMTIV coming from Nocturne. It felt very abrupt and jarring. You come back from the alternate timelines and then you never see Walter or Jonathan again until you go off to fight them in their changed forms. There was no build-up to that end point, and Jonathan especially felt extremely underdeveloped to me.

So while it definitely felt like you had more interactions with the cast compared to Nocturne, it felt more memorable in Nocturne the few times you did meet them and see how they grappled with the post-apocalypse, and how it was starting to change them.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Hmm, really? That was actually one of my main issues with SMTIV coming from Nocturne. It felt very abrupt and jarring. You come back from the alternate timelines and then you never see Walter or Jonathan again until you go off to fight them in their changed forms. There was no build-up to that end point, and Jonathan especially felt extremely underdeveloped to me.

So while it definitely felt like you had more interactions with the cast compared to Nocturne, it felt more memorable in Nocturne the few times you did meet them and see how they grappled with the post-apocalypse, and how it was starting to change them.
I played SMT IV a few years ago so I can be misremembering things, but I have SMT III fresh and overall the characters felt really really weak to me. While on SMT IV you spend some time with the entire team before reaching Tokyo, which serves to know them well enough, on SMT III you spend like 5 minutes with Isamu and Chiaki before the world "ends", and what they say to you is something about the Ring of Gaea rumours being BS and about being alone with the teacher. Which makes sense, they are students and they shouldn't be talking about anything really deep. What doesn't make sense is both of them appearing in a post-apocaliptic demon-infested world and being fine with it and not scared at all. One thing is the Demi-fiend, who is partially a demon, 2 adults that have been working to bring the end of the world, or Flynn and the samurais who are trained on combat and demon negotiation, but another thing are 2 random students.

I couldn't take seriously Isamu and Chiaki for this reason, they are exploring happily the Vortex with no care in the world and trying to rebuild their entire universe for some crazy convictions they are not old enough to have. Same with Takao, she decided to bring the end of the world because she had some random thoughts and then is deceived by Hikawa, who seems to be the only one with a real reason to be doing what he is doing.

On SMT IV or SJ your companions are already on a mission to subdue demons or at least prepared to face dangerous environments, and them joining X or Y idea or group makes more sense because of it. Also both Mastema, the Ashura-Kai, the Ring of Gaea (SMT IV version), the Hunter Association and others seem
a reasonable influence for your human companions, while in SMT III there are no other humans out there so your classmates suddenly being convinced about some really elevate ideals and doing crazy things like killing the Manikins etc... feels forced to me.

I suppose the game pretends to have a serious tone and present the player with interesting and deep ideas about what a perfect world would be, but it lacks strong characters that justify their actions and have strong reasons to fight for their ideal world.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
What doesn't make sense is both of them appearing in a post-apocaliptic demon-infested world and being fine with it and not scared at all.

I couldn't take seriously Isamu and Chiaki for this reason, they are exploring happily the Vortex with no care in the world and trying to rebuild their entire universe for some crazy convictions they are not old enough to have. Same with Takao, she decided to bring the end of the world because she had some random thoughts and then is deceived by Hikawa, who seems to be the only one with a real reason to be doing what he is doing.
That's not really true for Chiaki, at least, since she seems pretty traumatized when you first meet her. Though they don't really show what happens to them between the Conception and you becoming the Demi-Fiend, though she admits nothing phases her anymore. I was surprised at first by how rarely they showed up, but I kind of appreciated the very lonely, "abstract" tone of the game, and how their relationships really didn't survive through the apocalypse.

My take on it was that every surviving human was now somewhat "special" due to their new roles in being pressured into being the ones to shape the new world. So they still found ways to survive. Though they were still super weak and either got caught all the time or happened to get a limb dismemembered. I feel like they eventually succumbed to their new roles in coming up with a Reason, though it took Chiaki a while to start actually thinking about her "ideal world". And most of them made a deal with some other entity to gain some sort of power to survive.

Anyway, I kind of liked that they were all super flawed and hypocritical people who had absolutely no business for deciding what the next world should look like. Yuko especially always seemed uncertain and hesitant, and her whole reason for kicking it off was her projecting her own insecurities and inadequacies upon the rest on the world.

That's why the correct answer is to always kill them all when possible.

With SMT IV, I felt like the characters didn't really have any meaningful development beyond somehow falling more and more in line with their Law/Chaos ideologies, and becoming more single-minded about it. Walter's uncritical assessment of Lilith and plan to more or less let humanity be overrun by demons never felt justified. And Isabeau was a total bore with no development at all. Maybe my issue was playing the Neutral route.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minimalist storytelling is still storytelling!

You're being asked to infer why characters act the way they do instead of them telling you, and then they tell you anyway!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put my notes in spoilers in case anyone's waiting for the official vid

Danu and Inanna are here! Give me my edgy Irish skeleton son!

Pretty clear the other boxart demons aren't fused forms. Guess they're like sponsor demons unlike how Aogami fuses with Flower-kun. Edit: Actually the Lady Gaga Angel's cutscene where she's going on about fighting as one just kinda comes off as the scene where she fuses with a human.

I know it's not happening but holy shit it'd be funny if that guy was a Kuzunoha.

That one guy's sister is definitely going to bite it.

This cutscene choreography for these demons instead of them just standing there with their idle animations gives me life.

Finn mac Cumhail is getting a pretty swanky sword fight cutscene there. Wonder if he's got anything going on in the plot.

We've seen the Archangels with their classic designs already right? I'm thinking the voice referring to themselves as 'Archangel' was Lady Gaga there.

Seeing the real world as a place for gameplay that we're probably returning to does, in fact, give me Fucking Persona vibes. Then again I'm also the one complaining about SMT never doing anything new, so whatever, there's a million ways they can take this and it's more or less new ground for a mainline SMT to focus on the regular world for a bit, which is something that can be done in a game where Da'at is all isekai. I do actually like how the school looks all rustic and gothic. That's more fitting to SMT and gives it more personality as a location.

Literally the only way this game could let me down is if all these scenes eventually turn out to be the same story pieces and scenarios from past games.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Ok so breaking it down:

First scene shown seems to be the golden angel confronting us, most likely after first discovering out identity as Nahobino and maybe because we are artificial she sees us as blasphemous and that might lead to conflict with Bethel(a fracture in the law faction)

After that it cuts to running footage, the stuff where we are in uniform seems to be the start of the game.

We see Dazai keep going on about how he wants to keep the city safe at any costs, and despite all the showings of being a law rep, he displays a lot of chaotic elements as well, so curious how he will develop.

We see King Frost, Baphomet, and Loa, as well as Black Frost next.

Next we se a brand new dog/man demon using an attack called Souffle D'eclair( no idea who this might be)

Next new demon we se is Isis as well as Sukuna Hikona using Eternal Blizzard one of his unique attacks while Bethel goes on about launching a full scale war

We also see Lilith using a new attack called Narukami

We next see the Red demon lady praising someone for being noble(this could refer to Dazai showing him as more of a chaos lad, or it could be cut together in a deliberately obfuscating way

We see Nahobino walking up to a giant Hekatoncheires and we see the Giant red demon monk that we saw in the last trailer speaking saying that a human beckoned his power, but we don';t know who it is.

We see a new Nahobino attack, Thalassic Calamity (Thalassa being the spirit of the sea in Greek Myth)

We hear about the kidnpping attach and failing 2 people, this could refer to either Miyazu or Sahori, too early to say at this point, but clear to say that the early school dungeon will be a big deal narative wise with Lahmu.

We see a new demon using a new attack called Sacrifice of Clay she seems to be related to Lahmu and snakes, so maybe Lahamu?

We see a Raido looking motherfucker seeming like he is here to assassinate Nahobino and Fionn clashing with him as well

We hear about the Golden Angel talking about defending the unchanging world of god

We see Innana and Danu confirmed, using Raging Tempest and Ragnarok respectively.

We see Yuzuru and Hayatarou confronting Nahobino with some climactic scene, maybe the aftermath of the school and lamenting powerlessness

We see Golden Angel saying we shall confront this as one, and with he mention of Dazai becoming a Nahobino at the end, or Hayao asking someone if they would like to become one, I assume there will be more fusions later in the game with other cast members

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this latest trailer and this is the now the time go on a media blackout, this game's story seems much more cinematic than any previous SMT so far, and I was happy to see you can free roam in the human Tokyo.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I can't believe Nahobino gets merc'd 10 minutes in and the rest of the game is actually Raidou Kuzunoha 3.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I watched this latest trailer and this is the now the time go on a media blackout, this game's story seems much more engaged than any previous SMT so far, and I was happy to see you can free roam in the human Tokyo.
I've been on blackout since the Direct. I know it's day one and going dark is only making me more excited.

Hearing that Raidou is back hypes me though!

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That Yasunori Kato alike 😳 He is either a Kuzunoha or a summoner/onmyouji at least. Also they mention the demon summoning program, interesting.

Nov 1, 2020
Alilat: Megidolaon +4 (97 MP)/Mediarahan +3 (112 MP)/Chikara no Donamu +3 (30 MP)/Ma no Donamu +3 (30 MP)

Regarding the soundtrack: correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be 1 cd that's a selection from previous main series games and 1 cd that's a selection from this game.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
SMT V is really exceeding my expectations. I never thought it would be this cinematic-like goddamn.

Seems like they are really trying something different especially being able to fully walk around the world like that.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Does one have to play the previous entries to get into this? This game is looking more and more like a pickup for me

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder about that Archangel... We saw the classic designs in the early teaser, but have we seen the classic designs in any actual game footage so far?

Does one have to play the previous entries to get into this? This game is looking more and more like a pickup for me
It's completely standalone.

Last edited: